Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flash USB Drive from Wish

Options
  • 06-09-2019 7:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭

Hi Folks,
    Looking for a bit of help. So I bought a 3 pack of 64gb USB 3.0 flash drives from Wish for a total price of 10€. Just to test them and see what they were really like. When they arrived I downloaded h2testw and Fakeflashtest to test them with. I also tested them on a Samsung S8. Results were a bit confusing. Both h2testw and Fakeflashtest, failed the drives saying there was only around 16gb available on them which is what I expected to happen. Fakeflash said that it had DUPLICATE OR BAD BLOCKS. H2testw said THE DEVICE MAYBE DEFECTIVE and could only find 16.2gb working with rest listed as CORRUPTED.

I then put together a pile of music folders of around 44gb which I have transferred to one of the drives that had failed the test, and to my amazement, the drive took the transfer.

Can anyone explain how this is? I expected them to fail and they di, but I can also fit a heap of stuff on them. Seems odd.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

There is the storage controller and the storage itself. The storage controller believes there is 64GB, when it sends the data to addresses in the storage that don't exist the data just disappears and the storage controller thinks it was written.

There is also an index of files on the drive. The files you saved will be listed in that index but won't actually be there. So they will show up on your PC

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

The test is not writing them to the drive, its getting them back.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,218 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Ive had several USB sticks and uSD cards that haven't had the capacity stated, and got refunds for some. With a little repartitioning, I now have some usable but smaller (e.g. 7.5GB usable from claimed 32GB) devices. Windows still reports the fake size, but what I write to the drive does get there.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭PopIT

Thanks folks. Put in a claim with Wish and got a full refund on the way. I now have 3 16gb drives for free.

Advertisement