Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sealing New build chipboard floor

• 06-09-2019 11:07pm
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I just bought a new build and I'm in the process of cleaning it. Chipboard was used on the upstairs floor which is not ideal but I'm not going to replace it now.

I am giving everything a thorough cleaning before I move in but I have had to resort to using a wire brush to get the dust out of the chipboard floor as it's embedded into the wood

Once that's done, I would like to seal the floor in some way as I am planning on putting a wooden floor and underlay over it.

Is using a varnish to seal the chipboard a good idea or is there a better way to do it?

If varnish is the way to go, what is the best to use?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,578 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Is there much point in doing anything to it if you're putting underlay on it very soon?
    You Could varnish it, I assume it'll soak up o hell of a lot...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

Markcheese wrote: »
    Is there much point in doing anything to it if you're putting underlay on it very soon?
    You Could varnish it, I assume it'll soak up o hell of a lot...

I've never had to deal with a chipboard floor before so I'm just looking for ideas tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,715 ✭✭✭corks finest

ToxicPaddy wrote:
    Once that's done, I would like to seal the floor in some way as I am planning on putting a wooden floor and underlay over it.

Leave it alone- hoover it ,waste of time / money,don't varnish it FFS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,112 ✭✭✭✭listermint

It's not the finished floor. Please don't treat it as such.

Wait until you have finished flooring for it. Be it carpeting or otherwise.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

ToxicPaddy wrote: »
    I've never had to deal with a chipboard floor before so I'm just looking for ideas tbh.

It’s not the floor. It’s a piece of wood fixed to the mists to allow you to finish the floor. Hoover it and cover it. Job done.

One thing I would do is ensure it’s fixed securely to the joists. Fix extra screws if it’s flexible and it may prevent future squeeking etc

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

OK guys thanks for the info. I just wasn't sure what the best approach was to be honest.

I'm not a fan of chipboard floors but it seems to be the norm in all new builds that I've seen in the last 2 years

The floor has been well fixed to the joints and an extra few screws put in just in case.

Guess I'll give it a good once over and leave it be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,715 ✭✭✭corks finest

ToxicPaddy wrote:
    I'm not a fan of chipboard floors but it seems to be the norm in all new builds that I've seen in the last 2 years

Had one years ago, what I did do is cut a square between each joist + replaced it ( screwed down)for future access reference mouse traps etc

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

OK guys thanks for the info. I just wasn't sure what the best approach was to be honest.

The floor has been well fixed to the joints and an extra few screws put in just in case.

Guess I'll give it a good once over and leave it be.

It’s not a floor. That’s where your confusing yourself.
    It’s a covering for you to lay a floor.

The old fashioned way was not to put down chipboard and fit T&G flooding which you can do if you remove the chipboard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

Had one years ago, what I did do is cut a square between each joist + replaced it ( screwed down)for future access reference mouse traps etc

?
    Can you explain this. I'm assuming you then covered the chipboard floor. Wouldn't you have to lift the other floor to get to you access panels in the chipboard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I'm not a fan of chipboard floors but it seems to be the norm in all new builds that I've seen in the last 2 years.
    Technically it's not chipboard but OSB. Great stuff, much better than floorboards as long as it's covered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,578 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Lumen wrote: »
    Technically it's not chipboard but OSB. Great stuff, much better than floorboards as long as it's covered.

I've seen osb varnished and sanded and it looked really good, you'd probably still use a good bit of varnish too...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Lumen wrote: »

Ah right I didn't know that. Thanks for the info.

kceire wrote: »
    It’s not a floor. That’s where your confusing yourself.
    It’s a covering for you to lay a floor.

The old fashioned way was not to put down chipboard and fit T&G flooding which you can do if you remove the chipboard.

Yeah I'm used to T&G which in the past I've sanded n varnished and it looked good.

Personally I'd prefer to replace the chipboard with T&G but just don't have the time at the moment so maybe I'll do it in a few years. The flooring going down is only temporary and I'll be replacing that in a few years so I'll look at the T&G option then.

Advertisement