Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying in Douglas/Motorway woes

Options
  • 07-09-2019 12:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭

So.. we have an offer in on a house at the moment. Nice little semi D and in a great location.. the n28 is behind the house. Give it about 200 metres really.

Now with the m28 going ahead its kind of unsettled my way of thinking (not looking for pros or cons of the m28 cheers)

Realistically they're going to take 4 or so years. Whats it like living next to a motorway being built? Will they be working all hours?? We don't work shift thankfully.. but I'd like to hope we'd have no work past 10pm.

Also planning on a sprog. Will it be murder with the child or how so?? Theres quite a drone at the moment from cars going 100 up the road.. the wind in the trees drowns it out really. Will a motorway be worse again???

Am I mad to be going for it??

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

hedzball wrote: »
    So.. we have an offer in on a house at the moment. Nice little semi D and in a great location.. the n28 is behind the house. Give it about 200 metres really.

Now with the m28 going ahead its kind of unsettled my way of thinking (not looking for pros or cons of the m28 cheers)

Realistically they're going to take 4 or so years. Whats it like living next to a motorway being built? Will they be working all hours?? We don't work shift thankfully.. but I'd like to hope we'd have no work past 10pm.

Also planning on a sprog. Will it be murder with the child or how so?? Theres quite a drone at the moment from cars going 100 up the road.. the wind in the trees drowns it out really. Will a motorway be worse again???

Depends on planning permission. Generally there are working limits I.e 8-7

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Depends on your tolerance to noise as that will be very much worse when the motorway is built. For me would be a no. It is clearly of concern to you now?

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭hedzball

Graces7 wrote: »
    Depends on your tolerance to noise as that will be very much worse when the motorway is built. For me would be a no. It is clearly of concern to you now?

Realistically its going to be the traffic as is plus the trucks to ringaskiddy once poc move full operation to the area..wont really be much louder than as is I guess??

Noise is one of those things we adapt to over time. Was looking at the maps earlier and its not too severe where we are considering buying.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Realistically its going to be the traffic as is plus the trucks to ringaskiddy once poc move full operation to the area..wont really be much louder than as is I guess??

Noise is one of those things we adapt to over time. Was looking at the maps earlier and its not too severe where we are considering buying.

People are different/ I rented near the main Donegal to Pettigo road and left because of the noise. But that is me. This is something only you can decide. It really is. You are having doubts and questioning and that is good, Just never got used to it as in it becoming acceptable.

Maybe talk to others nearby?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

As the others said, different people are bothered by it. One of my friends lives almost on top that road a gorgeous house. I notice the background noise going in their driveway, but they have it all blocked out inside by trees and triple glazing. Even in their back garden you can’t hear much of it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement