Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

DX12

• 07-09-2019 6:13am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭

So what's the deal with it

27jerry-seinfeld.jpg

As a general rule of thumb it'll give you worse FPS and probably an all round buggier/crashier experience. Point in case, The Division 2 that I just bought where it's one of the few titles to actually provide slightly better FPS with it but the game would constantly crash on me or even fail to load with a black screen. I've switched it over to DX11 and all has been well with the world since.

However what's the DEAL with it?? Why do we have it? Does it actually offer anything useful? Will it ever not be annoying? Is it the developers to blame or just the entire thing is pants? It's been around for ages now so why is it still sh*t?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

madcabbage wrote: »

But why do we have to do this? DX12 according to the interwebs is some 5 years old now and it's either shyte from the start or requires workarounds like that link.

EDIT: did that control flow thing and first time Div 2 wouldn't boot, ctd'd before it even got to the stupid epilipsy warning I'm forced to sit through every time. Benchmark suggested that average FPS went from 72 to 78 dx11 to 12. I don't think an average of 6fps for a buggier and crashier experience experience is worth it especially as dx12 doesn't offer any visual improvements over 11 (I think)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,440 ✭✭✭Homelander

Often wonder the same thing. I think every game I've played with it was far worse with bugs and crashes.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Didn't they say that it's the thing that allows us to play Xbox games on PC? I could well;l be wrong, apologies if I am, but I thought I read something about this being part of how that process works.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,518 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Shiminay wrote: »
    Didn't they say that it's the thing that allows us to play Xbox games on PC? I could well;l be wrong, apologies if I am, but I thought I read something about this being part of how that process works.

Yes and no. The DirectX API is common to both plain Windows and the version used on the XBox's, and it should make porting between the two easier. But it's not a dedicated compatibility or emulation layer. It's a common language, rather than a translation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Only game I can think of it supposedly working on is Battlefield 5 and I've to rely on youtube benchmarks to be sure of performance increase although again it's minimal I believe. I'm just confused as to why it's basically sh*t after 5 years and why it's included as an option.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,518 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Only game I can think of it supposedly working on is Battlefield 5 and I've to rely on youtube benchmarks to be sure of performance increase although again it's minimal I believe. I'm just confused as to why it's basically sh*t after 5 years and why it's included as an option.

Most of the examples I've experienced have been disastrous. BF1 stuttered for hideously on the most powerful machine due to botched shader caching, The Division was noticably smoother, yet extremely unstable. I don't know whether the fault lies in the DX12 spec, or the implementations of it, or a mix of both.

Though for the sake of balance, The Division 2 is perfect for me in Dx12 at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Iirc i remember reading that DX12 would give lower level access to hardware which meant it could be more complicated to code and prone to errors but allowed for better optimisation if used correctly.

5 years on givin the hype around it must say i would have expected it to be further along aswell.

One thing ill say about dice and the battlefield series is usually they do embarce the new tech and implement it,for good or ill.

I can appreciate them trying to move things forward,as long as theirs a DX11 or equivalent option to revert to if nessacery

Advertisement