Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Large new velux on side of existing house overlooking me

• 07-09-2019 11:43am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 281 ✭✭

Hi,

Woke up this morning and the house next door to me which is currently undergoing renovations is sporting a large new velux roof window on the side, overlooking our garden and back door. I'm not pleased.as it's side facing and overlooks me, and it's a big change to a roof that never had a window before, was planning not necessary? It a kildare, thanks a mil

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭BuboBubo

Hi,

Woke up this morning and the house next door to me which is currently undergoing renovations is sporting a large new velux roof window on the side, overlooking our garden and back door. I'm not pleased.as it's side facing and overlooks me, and it's a big change to a roof that never had a window before, was planning not necessary? It a kildare, thanks a mil

I have roof windows here, but all I can see is the sky through them. Unless your neighbours are extremely tall, they will only have a sky view.

Planning permission isn't necessary for roof windows as far as I know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 281 ✭✭supersaint3

This is in a converted attic, the whole window is waist to head height, I understand some counties allow rear facing but this on a slanted roof side facing right onto the recreational area of our garden?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,578 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Contact your planning office, they'll tell you Wether there was planning granted or Wether it was needed?

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Will do on Monday, just wondering if anyone knew! Thanks a mil

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,996 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

Will do on Monday, just wondering if anyone knew! Thanks a mil

I don’t think the neighbours will take too kindly to it if they are made take it back out! I think some of the extremely large velux windows do require planning permission. What exactly are you afraid of them seeing? Can they not already see into your garden if they look out their upstairs windows? Not trying to be smart but is it worth falling out with your neighbour over this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,595 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

The waist high bit is for fire access.
    Even at waist height, given the inward slope, it is not great for squinting at your neighbours, so I wouldn't worry about it, its a bedroom so normally you will not be out in the garden when they are in bed

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Well I have similar height and aspect windows facing rear, rear facing however, and I can see everything out of them, no squinting involved. There's a lot going on, it's the only little bit of uninterrupted, solitary outside peace we have, my wife loves it, so do I and kids. Would I want to fall out with anyone, no, would I be willing to in order to protect our little spot from an overlook where we lose our feeling of comfort? Yea

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,595 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

What about a polite conversation about using frosted glass contact on the lower half of there window.

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Doop

Nigzcurran wrote: »
    Not trying to be smart but is it worth falling out with your neighbour over this?

Did the neighbour consider if it was worth falling out with the OP by installing a potentially non complaint window overlooking their garden?.... one coin 2 sides.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Check the planning permission online on you local co co website

• Advertisement
Advertisement