Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Feedback on maternity clothes

Options
  • 07-09-2019 1:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭

So I'm at the inbetween stage where normal clothes don't quite fit and I've ordered maternity clothes. This has been hit and miss so I'm going to post a bit of feedback as to what and where I've bought and how I found the fit. I've found when ordering from some companies there were no reviews so I had no idea would it fit or not. Some other companies allow for feedback on website and so that was great as could see where people recommended to size down or whether to take usual size.

Please add to this so we can build a resource as to where and what we found good.

Edited to add- thought it might be easier for everyone to add to if it was a separate thread rather than hidden in the due in x month as we may miss them

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭shhling

Bought Ridley jeans off ASOS. I found them to be much too big on legs from knees up. Would def recommend to size down in these. I'm returning mine and will order a size down to see.

I picked up maternity jeggings in dunnes and found these to be true to size. They are available is bigger dunnes I was told when asked at checkout and I presume online. €25 which I thought was reasonable.

Got a maternity top off boohoo on asos and it's lovely. Sorry just looked for link but it's not there so must have sold out. So no help. I wouldn't have thought of boohoo though but they have nice range of bits. Not sure of general quality but the top I have is good quality fabric and has washed well.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 __teenie__

Asda George have some good jeans, and they are a reasonable price, just ordered my second pair. Look at the reviews, some run small some run large.
    I ended up returning the Next maternity jeans I got.
    Didnt realise Dunnes still did maternity clothes, thanks for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

I got alot of mine in h&m, I found they had a good selection of casual and dressy for work. Penneys is also good. I wouldn't buy too many clothes or spend a fortune on them as by the end you will never want to see them again!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

Great idea Shhling.

I got some maternity jeans from Serapine as my friend swears by them. I got the skinny over bump maternity jeans and the super-skinny over the bum maternity jeans. They're lovely jeans but I don't have much of a butt (and my hips aren't very wide) to keep jeans up so these are slipping down on me (saggy bottom) - I think I'll be sending them back.

I picked up a pair of Freddy maternity jeans in Anthony Ryans in Galway and am living in them since I got them. They have a piece of rubber at the waist band that stops them from slipping down and they're more like jeggings - so soft.

I've picked up a few shirts/blouses in New Look and Pennys in my regular size and they should keep me going for a while as they're quite baggy without being like a sack.

Starting to struggle with my usual running/gym gear so if anyone can recommend not too expensive running shorts/3/4 pants, I'd be greatful.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

I found the jeans in new look very hit and miss. One pair could be generously sized, and the next not. Generally wash well, etc, but definitely need to try on. Tops from new look are good.

Bought some tops from Dorothy Perkins online last time, and found quality and sizing great, and very reasonably priced too. At the time, they were only available online, but I’ve since seen a sign in my local store that maternity clothes are now available.

Red herring maternity in Debenhams used be my favourite, but they seemed to be stopped doing the range this year when I went looking

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭Rockiemalt

Neady83 wrote: »
    Great idea Shhling.

I got some maternity jeans from Serapine as my friend swears by them. I got the skinny over bump maternity jeans and the super-skinny over the bum maternity jeans. They're lovely jeans but I don't have much of a butt (and my hips aren't very wide) to keep jeans up so these are slipping down on me (saggy bottom) - I think I'll be sending them back.

I picked up a pair of Freddy maternity jeans in Anthony Ryans in Galway and am living in them since I got them. They have a piece of rubber at the waist band that stops them from slipping down and they're more like jeggings - so soft.

I've picked up a few shirts/blouses in New Look and Pennys in my regular size and they should keep me going for a while as they're quite baggy without being like a sack.

Starting to struggle with my usual running/gym gear so if anyone can recommend not too expensive running shorts/3/4 pants, I'd be greatful.

I’m also looking for a decent pair of running 3/4! Had ones from gap which are fine for yoga, not for running, spent my time pulling them up!

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭MastiffMrs

I found red herring at Debenhams to be the best fit for jeans and tops. I still wear one of the tops 5 years later with no bump!!

Seraphine jeans super comfy and I felt looked more dressy than most. I also bought their dress which Kate Middleton had worn and it was very comfy and flattering, and easy to use afterwards when breastfeeding.

Hopefully more options for people now compared to a few years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭odonopenmic

Great idea OP

I know I've probably said this elsewhere but Cos is brilliant. It's not maternity but their styles and cuts work really well - at 7 months I'm still wearing dresses and shirts from there that I bought before I got pregnant. Really good quality too. I find it quite expensive but shop in their sales.

Bought a few h and m leggings (true size but pretty sheer so need a longer top over them). Their jeans... Not sure how to answer as I don't even think their non-mat jeans are true size. I'm size 12 and wear size 16 h and m jeans (weirdly, other trousers are grand). Found the exact same with maternity jeans - wearing my usual size 16. So not sure if that's true size!!

For formal wear/weddings I ordered a few things from Flounce London on ASOS and really like their styles. Probably a little generously sized but not so much that I'd size down. Just be aware if you tend to be between sizes, go for the lower of your range.

New Look sizing annoyed me so much that I didn't buy a single thing from there. Found it was way larger than marked.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭dragonfly!

Thank you for starting this thread !
    I’m not ready for mat clothes yet but when I was out and about yesterday had a look in a few shops to see what options I’ll have in a few months.
    None of my local shops have maternity clothes so I think I’m going to have to chance getting some online.
    I’ve heard good feedback from next ?

dragonfly! wrote: »
    Thank you for starting this thread !
    I’m not ready for mat clothes yet but when I was out and about yesterday had a look in a few shops to see what options I’ll have in a few months.
    None of my local shops have maternity clothes so I think I’m going to have to chance getting some online.
    I’ve heard good feedback from next ?

Next stuff is grand, I bought a few bits earlier this year. I found the jeans very comfy, and true to size, though they’re wrecked now, they certainly wouldn’t make it through another pregnancy

• Advertisement

shhling wrote: »
    Bought Ridley jeans off ASOS. I found them to be much too big on legs from knees up. Would def recommend to size down in these. I'm returning mine and will order a size down to see.

I picked up maternity jeggings in dunnes and found these to be true to size. They are available is bigger dunnes I was told when asked at checkout and I presume online. €25 which I thought was reasonable.

Got a maternity top off boohoo on asos and it's lovely. Sorry just looked for link but it's not there so must have sold out. So no help. I wouldn't have thought of boohoo though but they have nice range of bits. Not sure of general quality but the top I have is good quality fabric and has washed well.

Feeling pretty embarrassed now as it wasn't actually the Ridley that were miles too big it was a plain black pull up jegging from ASOS.

I had ordered the Ridley in black and denim but only tried the black and was organising order to go back and said I better check the denim sure they fit fine. So I rechecked black and I had obviously tryed the pull up jeggings twice . I'm definitely blaming it on baby brain.

I was in hm today and bought a couple of tshirts . All were true to size bar one black and white stripe one with cherries on right hand chest. Found that to be small so size up if buying on online. Hm will also accept returns in-store of online purchases. Dorothy Perkins won't so if you order online you need to post it back.

I wonder will Dorothy Perkins start accepting returns now if they’re carrying the maternity stuff in store

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

Rockiemalt wrote: »
    I’m also looking for a decent pair of running 3/4! Had ones from gap which are fine for yoga, not for running, spent my time pulling them up!

I finally pulled the trigger on a pair of 3/4 ultimate maternity leggings from fittamamma in the UK. They arrived yesterday and I ran/jogged in them for the first time this morning. My initial thoughts are very positive.

It's still early days but they gave me much more support than my regular running shorts and I only needed to pee once during a 60 minute run compared to my usual 2 or 3 times (I think it's because it's holding the bump up but it could be psychological).

I'm 20 weeks now and there's lots of support and space for bump to grow. Usually a size xs or s in running gear so I ordered a size s in these. I think the xs might have been too tight once bump gets bigger.

~They're pricey but I run/gym 5/6 days a week so I feel they're justified plus I'm not planning on buying much else. Use the code TESTED10 or LOVE10 to get 10% off.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Cole30

I got an order from new look and I'm impressed. The only negative is the over bump products the bump part is quite big (currently 16w + 4 so I'm sure I'll grow into it) but over all the fit isn't bad and all of the tops are actually quite nice. Very affordable too! Bought them online not sure what the range in store is like.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭Gatica

Great idea for a thread.
    I got maternity jeans in Gap, Next and H&M. I'm relatively slim but more pear shaped and often go for "curvy" fit jeans.
    I found H&M over the bump jeans the most comfortable and best fit. The Next band jeans were ok early on, but I had a very low lying bump and found the band uncomfortable and the legs a little narrow. The Gap band jeans were wider in the leg but the band elastic was was even narrower than the Next jeans. The Gap over the bump jeans lasted a little longer but last few weeks left imprint of the thick seams and outer button below my bump and I'd to stop wearing them. Only H&M lasted.

Debenhams tracksuit bottoms were comfortable and supportive. Got 2 pairs in Lidl, black ones fit ok but softer grey pants fit much looser.

• Subscribers Posts: 342 ✭✭NicsM

Love this thread!

I told myself I wouldn't go mad buying loads of maternity bits but I've ended up with a whole new wardrobe, oops.

My best finds have been from ASOS, H&M and New Look – New Look really surprised me with some of their stuff. ASOS have been great for dressy tops and stuff for weddings.

Jeans have been really hit and miss, my most worn pair are the Emilee over the bump jeggings but they seem to sell out quite fast.

I bought ASOS under the bump jeggings when I was still quite small and thought I'd grow into them but they're just massive on the hips so they fall down a lot – I'd have pretty wide hips normally so found it a bit odd.

New Look's shirts have been a lifesaver for work, they're not too bump focused so I feel comfy and less self conscious in them. Sizing is quite small so I sized up on all of them.

If anyone is a Fabletics customer (it's a monthly subscription but I usually skip every month unless I need something), their maternity 7/8 leggings are incredible quality, the bump part is really supportive and high. I've worn them for workouts and just casual wear and they've washed so well.

For anyone thinking of ordering from new look use code THANKYOU20 for 20% off

Has anyone any recommendations for maternity tights? I bought what is my size from Mothercare but they don't fit properly. I'm not tall and they aren't long enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭odonopenmic

Has anyone any recommendations for maternity tights? I bought what is my size from Mothercare but they don't fit properly. I'm not tall and they aren't long enough.

The best pair I got were denier 200 from Boohoo.com. I had a few from Penney's too but they were lighter than I'd prefer (15 denier). They were ok but found the nylon too harsh on my skin these days. The fit on the Boohoo and Penney's ones were quite good I though. Got a good few in H and M but found they don't stay up and ended up not wearing them beyond 2 wears unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,645 ✭✭✭Milly33

Has anyone tried the Freya Maternity Bras from Debs?

• Advertisement

I got some from
    https://dressmylegs.ie/collections/maternity-tights-online-ireland
    I found them quite good and they stay up.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭buffin

I am tall and the only ones I found that were (just about!) long enough were Asos the 100 Denier ones. Nice big stretchy bump area.

I'm 33 weeks now so they're starting to get a little less comfy between the tallness and bump adding up but still grand for a day in work and let me wear lot's of my non maternity dresses still!

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Chelle_C

NicsM wrote: »
    Love this thread!

I told myself I wouldn't go mad buying loads of maternity bits but I've ended up with a whole new wardrobe, oops.

My best finds have been from ASOS, H&M and New Look – New Look really surprised me with some of their stuff. ASOS have been great for dressy tops and stuff for weddings.

Jeans have been really hit and miss, my most worn pair are the Emilee over the bump jeggings but they seem to sell out quite fast.

I bought ASOS under the bump jeggings when I was still quite small and thought I'd grow into them but they're just massive on the hips so they fall down a lot – I'd have pretty wide hips normally so found it a bit odd.

New Look's shirts have been a lifesaver for work, they're not too bump focused so I feel comfy and less self conscious in them. Sizing is quite small so I sized up on all of them.

If anyone is a Fabletics customer (it's a monthly subscription but I usually skip every month unless I need something), their maternity 7/8 leggings are incredible quality, the bump part is really supportive and high. I've worn them for workouts and just casual wear and they've washed so well.

NicsM, do you find these jeggings go baggy around the knees etc? I was going to order them but my friend said she found them to go really shapeless after the first wear and were a waste of money.
    As you like them, I'm assuming you didn't have this issue?

• Subscribers Posts: 342 ✭✭NicsM

Chelle_C wrote: »
    NicsM, do you find these jeggings go baggy around the knees etc? I was going to order them but my friend said she found them to go really shapeless after the first wear and were a waste of money.
    As you like them, I'm assuming you didn't have this issue?

Funnily enough they didn't go baggy in the knees at all which is rare for jeggings!

I actually have 2 pairs – one from the regular range and one from the petite range (I just wanted the shorter length). I didn't find they went baggy at all which was surprising but I did find the regular fit were a lot more generous in the hips. Actually thinking more on that, I have two different rinses in them and the dark rinse (petite range) is a much stretchier material which doesn't lose any shape. They seem to be out of stock but this pair are a very similar rinse with the same type of stretch.

That’s great, thank you.
    I’ll order myself a pair as soon as they’re available. They’re very affordable so I hope I love them as I can get a few pairs then.

My friend said the best jeans she got were the Topshop ones however, at nearly €60 they’re not cheap and I want a couple of different colours so fingers crossed for New Look!

I've just seen these ladies, they come in black or blue:

https://www.littlewoodsireland.ie/v-by-very-maternity-over-the-bump-skinny-black/1600322155.prd

I wouldn't have thought to look at Littlewoods but the reviews are very good and I've a pair of V by Very (non maternity) jeans at home which I loved.

OK so it would appear I have baby brain already.
    I was at my desk yesterday and a package from New Look arrived - that I don't remember ordering.

I opened it and inside was a few bits including a pair of jeggings.
    I totally forgot I had ordered them all, late the other night! It was a lovely surprise :D

Anyway girls, the jeggings - OMG they are fab!
    They're called Lift and Shape, I got them in Indigo and they're just perfect.
    I'm a shortie at 5'2 and got the 28" and they are bang on.

Well, if anyone had told me maternity jeans would be this comfortable I would have worn them my whole life. They come right up to below your boobs and it's like a big hug :p
    My bump isn't even big yet but they still fit perfectly as the part that goes over your bump is a clingy material.

I can't recommend them enough, I'm waiting for the black to be restocked in my size now and I'll get them too.
    FYI I'm a 10-12 (more of a 12) and the 10 fit perfectly so maybe size down if you're getting a pair.

Btw, if anyone is in Galway, I have four pairs of maternity tights I can give away. There'd be a small size, 2 of them were riding down a bit and I'm 5'4", so prob fit better someone shorter.
    They're washed and clean and in perfect nick

Thats a thread that should be started a maternity swop thread or something like that... I got a dress in Lidl too tis perfect never worn just not my hate putting it into the charity bin but sure no takers

• Advertisement

Milly33 wrote: »
    Thats a thread that should be started a maternity swop thread or something like that... I got a dress in Lidl too tis perfect never worn just not my hate putting it into the charity bin but sure no takers

I have to say ladies I do not know how ye do the leggings and jeggins ( i did have to look up the differance).. 3 weeks to go now and i am in the biggest widest pair of pants i can find, that are slightly acceptable to wear outside :).. I just heard of meggings too,im just shocked

Advertisement