Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are terrible driving habits on the rise?

123457»

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Why is car slowing to 0 km/h going to cause an accident 99.9% of the time versus the same car slowing to 10km/h. I think you need to take a long hard look at your driving capabilities and spend more time looking out of the windscreen at the road conditions ahead of you.

It's extremely rare for the person being rear ended to be found at fault. As a driver you are expected to pay attention and not just ram people because you feel you have right of way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 665 ✭✭✭Yeah Right

That's not what I said, again. I also said nothing about right of way or ramming people.

I suggest you learn how to read before admonishing others on their driving abilities and putting words in their mouths.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Re quoting you because it is what you said.

999 times out of a thousand, you'll end up being the major contributory cause of an accident

If you honestly think that for every time a car stops on a road to let someone out that out of 1000 times only 1 case does not cause an accident then you are completely delusional. A car stopping in front of you should not cause an accident unless the standard of your driving is so woeful that you should be serving a driving ban.

You claimed I said "that its so dangerous a car slowing in front of you causes an accident 99.9% of the time".

I corrected you, and said no that's not what I said, "I said you'd be found to a be a major contributor to any accident 99.9% of the time."

And no you're trying to pull a gotcha on me by quoting me saying "999 times out of a thousand, you'll end up being the major contributory cause of an accident" which is exactly what I corrected you on.

Welcome to the blocked list.

Ahh, ok, so really what your saying in the very rare circumstances that a person does rear end someone who's stopped in traffic that they'll be found at fault by the insurer. I don't think that's going to be the case unless the person stopping to let someone out does so by performing an emergency stop.

There's an expectation on any driver that they are paying enough attention to the road that they should be able to stop in the event of an accident or any other reason that may cause the car ahead to stop. If that does result in an accident, the main reason was because the following driver either wasn't paying attention or was travelling far too close. That would be a far bigger factor than the person who stops. The major factor is the bad driver behind, not the person in front

Post edited by liamog on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,815 ✭✭✭creedp

Thanks for the complement. Have a look back and tell me where Ive said its ok to just randomly stop on a main road to let someone out. Would that action align with 'when its safe to do so'. Maybe you should stop looking for reasons to disagree with people

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Quitelife

In Rural Ireland , Never seen as many people on phones driving , taking calls , sending whats apps , reading content etc.....zero garda presence on the road in County Limerick..

There used be garda checkpoints ten-15 years ago regular for drink driving bagging older people driving 50 miles an hour , but thats all gone now, everyones on phones driving and lots of cocaine driving but theres no guards anymore , chances of been caught in rural ireland by a guard are bordering on zero..

Post edited by Quitelife on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

And what about the cars behind you that you are holding up?

If there's nothing behind you the car turning into the road can wait until you have passed. If there is something behind you, you shouldn't stop and hold up traffic.

You would be penalised for "position stopping" and "failing to make progress" in your driving test. If you wouldn't do it in your driving test don't do it any other time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,834 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I’m regularly in airside. I agree with you, but in addition airside car parking as is should never have been granted planning permission, not in a million years…. Whatever cretins in Fingal gave that the ok…

spaces are way too narrow and small, therefore visibility leaving the space is **** due to this , and the narrowness of the roadways. Also…. You can’t turn into the roadways exiting the car park if there is a car in the opposite lane at the exit coming the opposite direction, you’ll clip it…. You have to let them exit, even though logically you shouldn’t have to.

I never said that you claimed it was ok, there's that world class comprehension coming into its own again, I see. But that's what the adults in the room were talking about before you shoehorned yourself into the argument.

This is what the OP said:

I've noticed an increase ....... in drivers on main roads stopping repeatedly to let those on side roads out - and in so doing, holding up the vehicles behind them on the main road. This is foolish as not only does it prevent the intended free-flow of traffic on the main road, it might also tempt the frustrated vehicle behind to overtake, just as a driver tries to exit from a side road. I'm not referring to merging traffic or where there is clearly a tail-back down a side road, but where there is one car sitting in a side road, I can't see why you would stop to let it out.

That was it. Notice they never said anything about slowing down, it was about stopping to let others out. And not just stopping, stopping repeatedly.

Then Dickdasr1234 chimed in saying he does it because it's good manners if you're a culchie, implying that city drivers are ruder for not risking lives behind the wheel.

Then Liamo chimed in with his words of wisdom about slowing down, so it was him who brought it up first.

I replied saying people who do the above need their licence revoked

Then you came along and started repeating 'if it's safe to do so" like a parrot. I explained that it is NEVER safe to do so and is in fact less courteous at times, but you couldn't figure that out and tried to put words in my mouth by trying to get me to admit agreeing with you all along. I expanded further, making it as simple as possible to understand but that was too much for poor Liamo and he ended up on the ignore list.

Now here we are.

I never said you claimed it was ok to just randomly stop on a main road. But we were discussing cars randomly stopping on a main road to let others out and when I (and others, including two people who LIVE ON SIDE ROADS) pointed out that people who DO STOP RANDOMLY ON MAIN ROADS to let others out shouldn't be on the road, you took it up wrong and started this whole pile of nonsense.

You are defending those who do stop, indirectly, by having a pop at those who say it shouldn't be happening. If you made a mistake and you're not actually defending them, then it's okay to admit it and we can move on. Because otherwise, I've no idea why we're having this discussion? If you were agreeing with me, then why even inject yourself into the conversation with your passive aggressive 'out in the real world' bollocks? Why don't you take a leaf out of your own book maybe stop looking for reasons to disagree with people.

• Advertisement

So in slow moving / stop start traffic on a 'main road' you would hug the bumper of the car in front of you to stop someone exiting a side road / entrance?

Its OK because the most important thing in life is to apply the driving test rules no matter what the circumstance.

I see a few people who do that, thankfully most people are less bitter on the road will do there best to aid flow.

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭FlubberJones

I'm sure it's been mentioned a million times, but people with absolutely NO IDEA of what to do on a roundabout...

I have to manage the cars around me better than my own car... just dreadful

No, that's not hat they're saying. There you go putting words in someone's mouth again. Nobody's talking about slow moving or stop start traffic. Where are you pulling this from?

He's talking about cars travelling along a main road who decide to stop to allow others onto the road just to be nice, oblivious to the fact that they're doing exactly the opposite to everyone behind them who has to accommodate this manouevre at short notice. Keep doubling down on your mistake though, looks really mature.

🙄 I'd usually try to hang my front bumper off their tow hitch, if they have one, and turn my engine off to save on petrol. It also acts as a primitive form of adaptive cruise control. 😉

The person who started this only mentions a person stopping on a main road for traffic coming from a side road. They don't get into detail on whether that's a 100km/h national road stopping for someone coming in from a boreen, or a 50km/h main road through the city in moderate to heavy traffic.

The two situations are very different and don't demand your absolutism of remove the driving licence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭Radio5

Yes, this by 100%. In my local town there are pedestrian operated lights adjacent to a number of busy roundabouts. The lights go red for pedestrians to cross the road, cars approaching from either side will stop, but motorists keep driving on to the roundabout even though they can see that they will not be able to clear it without stopping. So they just stop, thus blocking lanes which might otherwise be able to move. Traffic backs up needlessly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

There are some areas where road planning is so bad that this has to happen.

the entrance to my local Centra car park is wide enough for 1.5 cars.

If there's someone waiting to get out then no one is getting in.

Just responding to the ridiculous with the ridiculous.

• Advertisement

At least you admit what your posting is ridiculous, first step to recovery

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Another thing is the lack of reversing into a parking spot. Makes it much simpler and safer where possible. You have control of the road reversing in unlike when you back out into traffic if parked front in..

Advertisement