Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New monitor needed.

Options
  • 07-09-2019 6:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭

Been gaming on PS4 and lite PC gaming on a 27inch TV up till now. Need a new TV for bedroom so thought I'd move my TV to the bedroom and get myself a monitor.
    Looking for recommendations or tips as there are so many options.

I have a PS4 pro
    PC has an i3 6100 and an RX 580 8GB.

I play mostly DayZ on PC at 1080p.

Any recommendations or pitfalls I should look out for?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 559 ✭✭✭PostWoke

laptopsdirect.ie is surprisingly good for this. Lots of recent monitors, decent specs for decent prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭Blackgator

PostWoke wrote: »
    laptopsdirect.ie is surprisingly good for this. Lots of recent monitors, decent specs for decent prices.

Yeah, I seen them. Load of choices.

My problem is I don't know what to buy and what to avoid.
    And I need it tomorrow from a store so need to know what's a no no, and what's would paying extra for.

I played Gran Turismo with a steering wheel before on a TV with bad lag and it was unplayable, other games were not so bad.
    So I'm thinking of a TN panel.
    But would an IPS display have a better picture and unnoticeable lag at 8 or 10ms response time?

LED Vs LCD?

Is HDR worth going for?

Would 60hz be enough as it's enough for PS4 and I don't game slot on PC, of should I try get 144hz if I can?

Budget is tight too, max €200. (Wife thinks I'm spending less, shussss)

Apparently I can't post links yet. Search for electriQ 27" Full HD 1ms 144Hz FreeSync HDR Gaming Monitor on laptopsdirect. Freesync, 27 inches, 1080p, 144hz, some kind of HDR implementation... actually if you could buy me one too that'd be great thanks.

And you can proudly show your wife the invoice, 40 under. Putting family first, you bring a tear to my eye.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Could just be bad luck but the couple of times of laptopsdirect.ie I've found them to be an utter disaster. First time was a faulty laptop which took months for a refund, second time they never shipped the order even though they sent the shipping order. YMMV

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭Blackgator

Got one.

Went for the Acer KG271 from Currys. Looks okay so far. Maybe a little big though

https://www.currys.ie/ieen/computing/pc-monitors/pc-monitors/acer-kg271-full-hd-27-led-monitor-black-10164659-pdt.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,096 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Blackgator wrote: »
    Got one.

Went for the Acer KG271 from Currys. Looks okay so far. Maybe a little big though

https://www.currys.ie/ieen/computing/pc-monitors/pc-monitors/acer-kg271-full-hd-27-led-monitor-black-10164659-pdt.html

Only £160 on Amazon (€178 using Revolut) if you haven't ordered yet.

That monitor is more expensive for worse specs but being happy with your purchase is what's important at the end of the day.

Anyone else got negative experiences with laptopsdirect? Don't want to be recommending using them if they're ****e.

That monitor is more expensive for worse specs but being happy with your purchase is what's important at the end of the day.

Anyone else got negative experiences with laptopsdirect? Don't want to be recommending using them if they're ****e.

Have a scan of their recent Trustpilot reviews; https://ie.trustpilot.com/review/laptopsdirect.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭mp3guy

smacl wrote: »
    Have a scan of their recent Trustpilot reviews; https://ie.trustpilot.com/review/laptopsdirect.ie

In fairness people are only bothered to post on Trustpilot when they've had a negative experience.

mp3guy wrote: »
    In fairness people are only bothered to post on Trustpilot when they've had a negative experience.

Agreed to some extent, and I have other doubts about Trustpilot, but if you look at the number of negative reviews relative to other sites selling the same stuff you get a feel for how good or bad a company is. Personally, I tend to stick with Amazon, CCL and Dabs4work these days on any expensive items. Cheaper items I'll take a punt elsewhere if there's a really good offer on the go and use PayPal for a bit of extra leverage if stuff doesn't turn up as advertised. Caveat emptor and all that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

wow DABS, I forgot about them
    I bought an Archos media player back in the day for watching videos on the train journey to work which was then surpassed by smart phones with larger higher quality screens and capacity

Skerries wrote: »
    wow DABS, I forgot about them
    I bought an Archos media player back in the day for watching videos on the train journey to work which was then surpassed by smart phones with larger higher quality screens and capacity

They got taken over by BT Ireland a few years back. I used to use them and Komplett quite a bit but have found better prices on Amazon more recently. They've some decent special offers every now and again so are worth checking out.

Advertisement