Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing banks

Options
  • 08-09-2019 11:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,209 ✭✭✭

Hi, my wife and I currently bank with another bank but are considering changing to bank of ireland, obviously we will call to our local branch but I'm just wondering is it an easy process, do the banks pretty much sort it between themselves, also I have a credit card with the other bank, will this just be transferred over to a bank of ireland card, also my employers pay my wages into my bank will I need to contact them about the change or does the bank do all this.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,707 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

Account switching works well. All banks should be able to do it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 490 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Jennifer

shamrock55 wrote: »
    Hi, my wife and I currently bank with another bank but are considering changing to bank of ireland, obviously we will call to our local branch but I'm just wondering is it an easy process, do the banks pretty much sort it between themselves, also I have a credit card with the other bank, will this just be transferred over to a bank of ireland card, also my employers pay my wages into my bank will I need to contact them about the change or does the bank do all this.
    Thanks.

Hi shamrock55,

Thanks for getting in touch with us here. Please be advised that you can open your new account with Bank of Ireland over the phone by calling our account opening team on 1890 354 454. We would then ask that you visit your local branch with photo ID and to complete the account switching pack.

Your old account, including all direct debits and standing orders, should be switched over to your new Bank of Ireland account within 10 working days of the date you have chosen. If you have asked your old bank to close your account, the balance will be transferred and your old account will be closed during the same 10 working days. We and your old bank will aim to meet these deadlines, but delays may arise as a result of circumstances beyond our or the old bank’s control.

I hope this helps and please do feel free to get back in touch with us if we can help you with anything else.

Thanks Jen

• Registered Users Posts: 7,209 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Hi shamrock55,

Thanks for getting in touch with us here. Please be advised that you can open your new account with Bank of Ireland over the phone by calling our account opening team on 1890 354 454. We would then ask that you visit your local branch with photo ID and to complete the account switching pack.

Your old account, including all direct debits and standing orders, should be switched over to your new Bank of Ireland account within 10 working days of the date you have chosen. If you have asked your old bank to close your account, the balance will be transferred and your old account will be closed during the same 10 working days. We and your old bank will aim to meet these deadlines, but delays may arise as a result of circumstances beyond our or the old bank’s control.

I hope this helps and please do feel free to get back in touch with us if we can help you with anything else.

Thanks Jen

I'll do that, thanks for getting back to me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭homingbird

Hi i have a current account with ye which i am thinking of closing as i also have a account with EBS that charge no banking fees with ye i have to keep account over 3k a month can i just withdraw all fund as i have no DD attached to the account without filling out any paperwork to cancel account.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 487 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Aisling

homingbird wrote: »
    Hi i have a current account with ye which i am thinking of closing as i also have a account with EBS that charge no banking fees with ye i have to keep account over 3k a month can i just withdraw all fund as i have no DD attached to the account without filling out any paperwork to cancel account.
    Hi There Homingbird, 

Thanks for getting in touch with us here on Boards.

If your address and contact number are correct on your account you can close your account with our online account closure form using the attached link below. 

[font=Arial, sans-serif]Alternatively, you can send a letter of request to your branch to have the account closed. The letter should include a copy of your passport, your contact number and if there is a balance left in the account an IBAN and BIC for the funds to be transferred to.[/font]

I hope this helps. 

Thanks, Aisling. 

https://www.bankofireland.com/help-centre/faq/close-current-account/

• Advertisement
Advertisement