Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DIY Vs out of the box for home heating?

Options
  • 08-09-2019 11:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭

Thinking of dipping the toe in with a home heating automated system but also keen to expand to smoke/motion/camera/alarm/lighting also.

Have looked at nest/netamo setups and also samsung smart things and some more affordable xiaomi/aqara setups.

Question is are the heating specific systems worth it if I want to expand further down the line. Will I be stuck with seperate systems if i want to add ón further automation?

Also has anyone used standalone ZigBee compatable temperature sensors and heating valves and relays to create there own home heating setups that mimic the nest/netamo setup.

I definitely want to be able to control heating remotely and also to manage heating smartly in the home.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭wasim21k

hi,
    Zigbee is expensive option at least for me it was so i m using nRF24L01 for zone/boiler controller and for battery powered temperature sensors. have look at mysensors site with opensource options.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭eoinf

wasim21k wrote: »
    hi,
    Zigbee is expensive option at least for me it was so i m using nRF24L01 for zone/boiler controller and for battery powered temperature sensors. have look at mysensors site with opensource options.

Thanks for the reply, think that solution is taking DIY beyond the limits of my capabilities.

Advertisement