Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Risible Yellow card for trolling

Options
  • 08-09-2019 11:33am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭

Reason for dispute: my post in the Irish Rugby thread responding to previous posts praising the contribution of Rory Best to Irish rugby - a sentiment with which, generally speaking, I would agree.

I made the very mild observation (given the massive controversy that erupted at the time) that he was also a good man for a character reference, whereupon a Moderator infracted me for alleged Trolling.

When I challenged him, he responded that "It was neither legitimate nor appropriate; completely off topic in the thread you posted it in."

I take exception to this infraction because I firmly believe tat it wasn't trolling, but was a completely legitimate observation on the individual concerned, relating as it did to his actions in a court case involving Irish rugby internationals which he attended while holding the position of national rugby captain.

Nor can it truthfully be described as "completely off topic" given the hagiographic content of the posts immediately before mine.

I would argue that my post was appropriate and highly relevant and would add that it was a very mild and low key allusion to a very controversial incident that featured largely in national and international media and led to the sportsman concerned being heavily criticised by many commentators in both the news and sports media.

I have no problems whatsoever with the Moderator in question disagreeing with my views on Rory Best, but I believe that to infract me for an inoffensive reference to a recent controversy was an abuse of his moderating powers and it is this principle that has led me to ask for a review of his action.

Thank you.

Link: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=111194095

Edit: I have just returned to the post in question and found to my surprise that the original yellow card had overnight turned to red. I presume that this escalation took place after I had questioned the yellow card and was an attempt by the Moderator in question to get his retaliation in first in true rugby fashion. I contend that such an action is underhand, petty and vindictive.

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I have just checked - this was issued as a red - there was no yellow issued yesterday

Have you attempted to resolve this directly with the mod? That's the first step in the Dispute Resolution Process

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Hi, Portsalon,

I'm going to cut to the chase here.

I haven't heard from the mod nor seen any pm exchange, however I have read your post and the infraction message.

Firstly, as Beasty pointed out, this never existed as a warning, it was an infraction and the pm you got made that clear.

Your post was entirely inappropriate for the thread it was posted in and was only ever going to elicit a reaction (not in a good way) which is the textbook definition of trolling.

You got a warning in the forum 6 days ago which, for any reasonable user, should have made you think before you post.

I believe what you posted was a deliberate attempt to rile other users up and agree that it was trolling.

Mod action upheld.

You may appeal this decision to admin, please let me know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Portsalon

Beasty wrote: »
    I have just checked - this was issued as a red - there was no yellow issued yesterday

Have you attempted to resolve this directly with the mod? That's the first step in the Dispute Resolution Process

1. It was definitely showing as yellow on Saturday when I responded to post no. 491 on that thread. Perhaps that was a Mod error.

2. Yes, I contacted the Mod and stated my case.

3. I am unhappy with Steve's kneejerk response - it is absurd for any objective reader to assert that Rory Best's Irish rugby career wasn't tainted by his antics during the rape case - and given that the thread had moved from discussion of the game to tributes to Best immediately before I posted, it is beyond rational argument that my post was both topical and relevant.

4. As to the warning that I got six days previously, I contacted the Moderator concerned, apologised and deleted the post concerned. I am not prepared to do so on this occasion.

4. Please regard this response as a request to appeal to admin, as I am unaware of the process.

Thank you.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,724 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

I am looking at this now.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,724 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

I have reviewed the card and I am upholding it. You said of Rory Best, "[a] useful character witness too, if required."

This was posted with either the intention to rile other people up or disregard as to whether it would rile other people up. As Steve has already pointed out, having received a warning just days previously, you should have at least stopped to think before posting. It is 100% clear-cut trolling. Your own views of Best aren't in any way relevant because even if there is a debate about his attending Court for that trial, it's completely, absolutely irrelevant in the context of that thread.

The escalation to a red card was appropriate and the moderator is to be commended for his decision here.

I will uphold the red card.

I have to also point out that using "risible" to describe what could barely be more clear-cut moderator action leaves a very poor taste in the mouth. Even if it was not so clear-cut, I would have an issue with any mod action being described as such and it could be said to go against your interests in seeking to take part in this process.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement