Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on Pruning / Cutting Back Please

Options
  • 08-09-2019 1:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭

Would appreciate any help or advice that you might be able to offer on the care and maintenance of a small tree in my front garden. Basically, I think it is an old tree which comes into blossom in April / May. Problem is, it appears to be dying or has dead wood in sections but growth in others.

Can anybody tell me what sort of tree it is? Also when and how should I go about pruning or cutting it back???

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

No idea what tree as your description covers many. Any chance of a picture?

Generally, the first thing to do is cut out the dead wood, back to some heathy beach or trunk. Dead wood is never going to regrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭Mav11

No idea what tree as your description covers many. Any chance of a picture?

Generally, the first thing to do is cut out the dead wood, back to some heathy beach or trunk. Dead wood is never going to regrow.

Apologies Clyde Brief Nectarine, had issues uploading the images. Too big!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭macraignil

I can see the images that are added now and it looks to me like a type of cherry. They are usually best pruned in mid summer to avoid spreading diseases that they are prone to get when cut in damp weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,072 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

IMO that tree is dying of old age. You can try to ease its passing but if it was mine I'd replace it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭Mav11

Lumen wrote: »
    IMO that tree is dying of old age. You can try to ease its passing but if it was mine I'd replace it.

I suspect that you are probably correct Lumen. I had gotten kinda fond of it and might try to get a year or two more out of it.

Mav

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,495 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i cut one down in similar condition last year, another ornamental cherry. about one third of the branches were dying back every year, and was weeping sap in several places. they're not the longest lived tree anyway. hopefully i can do something with some of the wood on the lathe, but they certainly won't be big pieces.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,072 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Mav11 wrote: »
    I had gotten kinda fond of it and might try to get a year or two more out of it.
    I do that too, even though it's counterproductive. :o

Advertisement