Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switching to MacBook

Options
  • 08-09-2019 2:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭

I’m starting a new job that uses MacBooks. What is the main differences between it and windows?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,797 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Price.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭JacenSolo

Sir Dosser wrote: »
    Price.

😂😂😂 I meant more like I know stuff like ctrl-alt-del us different

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭JoyPad

They are very different operating systems, and it will take some time to get used to it.
    Probably the biggest difference when you transition will be window handling. You will reach to the top-right corner for window buttons (maximize, minimize, close), and on Mac they are in top-left corner.
    Another thing is the keyboard: the Mac has a key called Command (⌘) which is what the Alt key is for Windows. Most common commands are combinations of this key and letters, with or without the Shift. The Alt key, which exists on the Mac as well, acts as a further modifier for key combinations, so don't be surprised when you need to click Cmd+Alt+Shift+<key>.
    While the Mac has a Dock that is somewhat similar to the Windows taskbar, one more thing that might confuse you is the Mac's Menubar. Instead of each application having its own menu bar on the main window, like in Windows, the Mac has a single menu bar, stuck to the top of the screen, regardless of where the app's windows are. So, unless you work with maximized windows, you will sometimes reach in the wrong place for the application menu.

I would say these are the main things that will be different, from a user point of view.

Mac User Guide: https://support.apple.com/en-ie/guide/mac-help/welcome/mac
    And Google for everything else.

Advertisement