Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How strict are "student only studio apartments"?

Options
  • 08-09-2019 2:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 42

Anyone have experience if the landlords are very strict (as in renting to non students) or do they just say students only go get around some tax loophole?

I'd almost be better off starting a course and dropping out to get access to them :o

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,523 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Owners may be benefiting from tax relief on the construction and/or rental of accommodation to students. So may be restricted in who they can rent to. Also, some owners, particularly in Dublin May only want to rent during the academic year and may want to short let during the summer. If they are advertising for students only, no doubt you will have to prove you are enrolled as a student during the rental period.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,786 ✭✭✭✭L1011

If there's tax reliefs it isn't a "loophole", its legitimate and intentional. That added to different planning permission grants will limit them to only renting to students and possibly short-term tourist lets over the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Anyone have experience if the landlords are very strict (as in renting to non students) or do they just say students only go get around some tax loophole?

I'd almost be better off starting a course and dropping out to get access to them :o

You are saying this would give you access to cheaper or more suitable accommodation? Can you explain this more?

The issue is planning, not tax. The owner would be in breach of the planning that had been granted. There used to be a tax relief for student accommodation, but no more as far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Nevermindnow

You are saying this would give you access to cheaper or more suitable accommodation? Can you explain this more?

The issue is planning, not tax. The owner would be in breach of the planning that had been granted. There used to be a tax relief for student accommodation, but no more as far as I know.

Yes there seems to be nicer places compared to other studio apartments for the same price in the city centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

They are pretty strict, but they are generally about 60 or 70% full at any given time so you could chance your arm in a few weeks when the student frenzy dies down.

• Advertisement
Advertisement