Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Roy Keane

• 08-09-2019 4:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Just An Opinion

I’ve been reading and listening to the fall out from Keane’s comments during the OTB roadshow event at the BGET last Wednesday and I’m fascinated at how he still starkly divides opinion. Some maintain he’s a legend who says it how it is others see him as a bitter angry has been, who is irrelevant apart from rehashing the same old rants over and again.

Either way he’s an interesting character study in so many ways. I personally loved him as a player but the Jackal and Hyde element to him and particularly the nasty nature of his jibes at Jon Walters in particular left me feeling he’s in a dark place with his own self security despite claiming the contrary, I mean he’s now longer away from United than he even played for them but still has as strong as ever resentment towards Ferguson and Gill in particular. Must be draining to be him and live with all that bitterness.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

I’ve been reading and listening to the fall out from Keane’s comments during the OTB roadshow event at the BGET last Wednesday and I’m fascinated at how he still starkly divides opinion. Some maintain he’s a legend who says it how it is others see him as a bitter angry has been, who is irrelevant apart from rehashing the same old rants over and again.

Either way he’s an interesting character study in so many ways. I personally loved him as a player but the Jackal and Hyde element to him and particularly the nasty nature of his jibes at Jon Walters in particular left me feeling he’s in a dark place with his own self security despite claiming the contrary, I mean he’s now longer away from United than he even played for them but still has as strong as ever resentment towards Ferguson and Gill in particular. Must be draining to be him and live with all that bitterness.

I like him, too many now are too afraid of their own ****e to say anything somewhat controversial, but he was definitely wrong about the whole Walters thing,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,283 ✭✭✭AidoEirE

Thought a lot of what he said was to get a reaction from the crowd during the OTB live show. Sometimes i think most of what he says is to get back to being relevant again. He's dyin for a club job again and tbh, his credentials are not great. I personally dont like or hate him, a man of the game back for us in the day and thats how i see him. Tend not to listen to most of the stuff he spills out now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

The oxygen of publicity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

sugarman wrote: »
    He hasnt really been relevant since hanging up his boots 13 years ago, its kind of sad he feels the need to say something controversial or reignite old arguments just to stay relevant. Hes become everything he hated as a player.

I liked him as a player but he as too much to say these days. But saying he's been irrelevant since he retired from playing isn't really true given he's managed a team who under his watch got promoted to the Premier League plus was assistant manager of our national team.

Great player, limited manager, entertaining pundit, angry man

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,113 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Legend and always will be.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

This.

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Zico !

Great player great character does lots of charity work under appreciated in Ireland as he's not from Dublin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,834 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

AidoEirE wrote: »
    Thought a lot of what he said was to get a reaction from the crowd during the OTB live show. Sometimes i think most of what he says is to get back to being relevant again. He's dyin for a club job again and tbh, his credentials are not great. I personally dont like or hate him, a man of the game back for us in the day and thats how i see him. Tend not to listen to most of the stuff he spills out now.

I stuck up for him for a good while before but in recent years he just comes across as less of a difficult, dogmatic, driven, hard working winner that he might have been once characterized as and more of some sort of a kinda not very nice or ‘together’ person...

If I’m the chairman of a club I’m going to avoid picking up the phone to him... it’s been 13 years since he achieved anything of note... promotion managing Sunderland and indeed the championship title and since it’s been more misses than hits, more fallouts then friends...

Wasn't a huge fan of him as a player, limited technical ability, all flying into tackles and swearing and hard running. It wasn't exactly the beautiful game. But very effective, he was definitely one of the better hard men type players, maybe only Viera was better at that role in England at the time.

One thing that marked his whole career, from reneging on Blackburn to raising the whole threat about playing for Celtic every time his contract was up to dressing up as leprechaun to releasing autobiographies on the eve of Irish matches to asking Niall Quinn for a job...he was always driven by money. He spoke a load of old nonsense about principles and slamming pundits and red tops, but he became a pundit and afair either had a column in or serialised one of his books in some rag.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭The Jman

Greatest Irish sportsperson of all time, needs to keep a bit quieter as a pundit!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Blue giant

Wasn't a huge fan of him as a player, limited technical ability, all flying into tackles and swearing and hard running. It wasn't exactly the beautiful game. But very effective, he was definitely one of the better hard men type players, maybe only Viera was better at that role in England at the time.

One thing that marked his whole career, from reneging on Blackburn to raising the whole threat about playing for Celtic every time his contract was up to dressing up as leprechaun to releasing autobiographies on the eve of Irish matches to asking Niall Quinn for a job...he was always driven by money. He spoke a load of old nonsense about principles and slamming pundits and red tops, but he became a pundit and afair either had a column in or serialised one of his books in some rag.

Roy Keane was one of the best passers in the most dominant team of the premier league era. To say he had limited technical ability is slanderous. One of the best players I've ever seen at playing a 15 - 20 yard ball into a forwards feet and you'll find many former teammates of Keane support that view.

To define Keane as a hard man type player is to completely ignore his brilliant passing and he was also an underrated dribbler of the ball. He had a brilliant first touch and if you need proof of his ability to carry the ball forward, just watch him dominating a Dutch midfield of great quality to qualify Ireland for the world cup in 2002. A younger Roy Keane was also far more of a box to box midfielder and was a good goal threat and could genuinely do everything a midfielder needs to.

I have no idea how you came up the idea of him being driven by money. How dare the most important player of the team make sure he gets paid an appropriate wage. He'd be stupid not to explore options when he was at United to ensure he was paid appropriately. The sheer amount of work Keane does for charity completely contradicts this idea of a money driven man.

Blue giant wrote: »
    I have no idea how you came up the idea of him being driven by money. How dare the most important player of the team make sure he gets paid an appropriate wage. He'd be stupid not to explore options when he was at United to ensure he was paid appropriately. The sheer amount of work Keane does for charity completely contradicts this idea of a money driven man.

Oh I didn't say he was a bad player, he'd be in my top 5 Irish players. Just not next or near Giles, Brady and McGrath for footballing ability, and Robbie Keane obviously gets all the plaudits for longevity and that record.

On the money thing, it's just an opinion based on leprechaun ads, getting money from the Sun and as a Sky pundit when he was all hot air and guff about that stuff. As you raise the charity thing, one thing I had wondered about at the time...how much of testimonial money was distributed and where did it go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 877 ✭✭✭jk23

The big elephant in the room maybe the loss of his father. He could be more bitter now at the moment because of that. Not an excuse I know but a possible reason to release some anger

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

I think missing out on the ‘99 CL final had a huge psychological effect on him. Watching inferior players winning a final that he’d dragged them into, must have hurt him deeply. He’s been very cranky ever since.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Watched it on YouTube, and the best bit for me was Gary Neville putting one of those irritating interviewers in his place, basically telling him to shut up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Jurgen The German

Blue giant wrote: »
    Roy Keane was one of the best passers in the most dominant team of the premier league era. To say he had limited technical ability is slanderous. One of the best players I've ever seen at playing a 15 - 20 yard ball into a forwards feet and you'll find many former teammates of Keane support that view.

To define Keane as a hard man type player is to completely ignore his brilliant passing and he was also an underrated dribbler of the ball. He had a brilliant first touch and if you need proof of his ability to carry the ball forward, just watch him dominating a Dutch midfield of great quality to qualify Ireland for the world cup in 2002. A younger Roy Keane was also far more of a box to box midfielder and was a good goal threat and could genuinely do everything a midfielder needs to.

You've obviously never seen posts from Conor before on any topic.

General consensus here
    >

<
    conors position over here.

On every single topic ever discussed in the past, present or future of Boards.

It's actually pretty funny when you twig his schtick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,504 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Was gonna type a big long post but that sums it up perfectly!!

You've obviously never seen posts from Conor before on any topic.

General consensus here
    >

<
    conors position over here.

On every single topic ever discussed in the past, present or future of Boards.

It's actually pretty funny when you twig his schtick.

Some re-reg seems a little obsessed with me...:D

Relax, let it go, think of something to say about Roy Keane. Message me if you want to discuss me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,508 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Showing his true colours with the Walters comments.

Sad some defend that kind of behaviour under the banner of "telling it how it is".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,369 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

NIMAN wrote: »
    Watched it on YouTube, and the best bit for me was Gary Neville putting one of those irritating interviewers in his place, basically telling him to shut up.

Gary's ego has inflated to a huge level the last couple of years. That was way out of order. You are on their show, stop being so condescending.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Jurgen The German

Some re-reg seems a little obsessed with me...:D

Relax, let it go, think of something to say about Roy Keane. Message me if you want to discuss me.

I cant help it, you are in my soul.

RK is the greatest sportsman this country has ever produced, he was a poor manager and in the main isn't a great pundit. I personally dont care because he is the greatest sportsman this country had ever produced, the best captain United have had in my lifetime and without him United may not have become the force they were. He also gave a massive two fingers to king Kenny which amuses me greatly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,826 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

His comedic timing and delivery is absolutely spot on.

noodler wrote: »
    Showing his true colours with the Walters comments.

Sad some defend that kind of behaviour under the banner of "telling it how it is".

Yes, there is no coming back from that, I think he’s damaged himself maybe irreparable too.

If he genuinely believed what he was saying he needed to pick his battles, not EVERYTHING needs to enter a public domain....

“Look, John and I have differing views on the that, it’s unfortunate, I was disappointed, we move on.”

Entertaining pundit imo. Something different from the rest anyway.

The Walters stuff was uncalled for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭jarvis

Great footballer. That cannot be denied. Not a great person. That cannot be denied.

Imagine having to live with a person like this!! He is a bully plain and simple. Total asshat.

He was pundit on the England game yesterday and the criticism was similar to that of someone who was without sin. I feel sorry for his family. Must be a total nightmare.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

In 2019 Keane is irrelevant in football as only the desperate or stupid would employ him to do anything else but bang on about stuff that happened 20 years ago so he can settle scores while the other people aren't there. I'm sure there is an audience for that but it's likely full of people so simple they believe the earth is flat.
    I thought he'd be a good manager to be fair to him but it's like he never adapted to the times & was appointed 25 years after he retired.
    Now he is a sad caricature of who he was as a player, his existence is to be asked questions to provide a few contrary, moany sound bytes for bloated articles or Sky Sports News while Neville sniggers beside him like a 6 year old looking at a lewd drawing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,656 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

Just watched the otb interview and it looks like he played to the crowd and sat with a childish grin on his face, he fcuked up on JW

Just watched the otb interview and it looks like he played to the crowd and sat with a childish grin on his face, he fcuked up on JW

Probably a few jars too. Gonna keep up the hardman exterior. Covers up the insecurity :cool:

• Advertisement

I was surprised to see him rock up as a pundit. Maybe he is wondering how long at his current rate of popularity within the actual game he’ll be seen as a viable and reliable candidate for a management job... easier option could be just to go stress free and play the ‘Dunphyesque’ character for pocket money and stay quiet on the Forrest bench in the meantime.

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Zico !

jarvis wrote: »
    Great footballer. That cannot be denied. Not a great person. That cannot be denied.

Imagine having to live with a person like this!! He is a bully plain and simple. Total asshat.

He was pundit on the England game yesterday and the criticism was similar to that of someone who was without sin. I feel sorry for his family. Must be a total nightmare.

i remember talking to the great bill herlihy who told me that denis irwin told him if you think like yourself you dont know roy-stfu keyboard warrior

Zico ! wrote: »
    i remember talking to the great bill herlihy who told me that denis irwin told him if you think like yourself you dont know roy-stfu keyboard warrior

He has his zealots, no doubt about it.

RK is the greatest sportsman this country has ever produced, he was a poor manager and in the main isn't a great pundit. I personally dont care because he is the greatest sportsman this country had ever produced, the best captain United have had in my lifetime and without him United may not have become the force they were. He also gave a massive two fingers to king Kenny which amuses me greatly.

A lot of people think Conor McGregor is. And your whole "and he gave 2 fingers to so and ao" reminds me of the shtick they come out with too.

I kinda think of them in the same bracket, great athletes, just the whole snarling aggression and fondness for violence isn't for me. I appreciate Man U fans love him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭jarvis

Remember he absolutely berated pundits. The lowest of the low.

Then low and behold he’s a pundit.

He’s an ass through and through

Strumms wrote: »
    I was surprised to see him rock up as a pundit...

I wasn't. There was lots of money in it. Same way I wasn't surprised to see him work for Quinn, or release yet another autobiography on the week of an Irish match, or dress as a leprechaun for a crisp brand, and so on.

Course, none of that is a crime, and footballers have done far worse. I just find the whole deep thinking enigmatic but principled character portrayed in the media amusing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

eigrod wrote: »
    I think missing out on the ‘99 CL final had a huge psychological effect on him. Watching inferior players winning a final that he’d dragged them into, must have hurt him deeply. He’s been very cranky ever since.

i doubt thats it. just bitter at the way he was told he was being let go from man utd

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭jay1988

Zico ! wrote: »
    Great player great character does lots of charity work under appreciated in Ireland as he's not from Dublin

Jaysus do you want some salt for that massive chip?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

He's spot on about Walters as a footballer.

padd b1975 wrote: »

In terms of being Ireland's most important player for about five years?

Pure class. Monster of a man. Gave it all, scored more big goals than anyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Fernando Itchy Winter

And Walters seems to be trying to get a pundit career by stirring up roy keane and trying to go the mental health route like Bressie/Blindboy boatclub to stay relevant

Roy's a **** manager but there's hardly anything particularly terrible in there. He literally said the words "family situation". Get over it,

• Advertisement

And Walters seems to be trying to get a pundit career by stirring up roy keane and trying to go the mental health route like Bressie/Blindboy boatclub to stay relevant

Roy's a **** manager but there's hardly anything particularly terrible in there. He literally said the words "family situation". Get over it,

I can't believe what I'm reading.

Are people so blind in their allegiances that they can make Walters come out of this as the bad guy?

not something i would ever associate walters as being

Whether Walters was great for Ireland or not is a matter of opinion, and a legitimate topic.

His family tragedies should not be a topic for discussion.

And even less, a topic for laughs and "craic".

bangkok wrote: »
    not something i would ever associate walters as being

Must not watch Ireland very often then.

He was class for Ireland.

Must not watch Ireland very often then.

He was class for Ireland.

our definition of 'class' is miles apart

he was an extremely hard working player and gave 100% every game. a very important player.

class? no

Maybe they should just get out and exercise and jog on down another route eh..

That says more about Ireland than it does about Walters unfortunately.

Whether Walters was great for Ireland or not is a matter of opinion, and a legitimate topic.

His family tragedies should not be a topic for discussion.

And even less, a topic for laughs and "craic".
    I agree.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,592 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

bangkok wrote: »
    our definition of 'class' is miles apart

he was an extremely hard working player and gave 100% every game. a very important player.

class? no

Tbf you called Timothy Fosu Mensah Class so are you saying that Walter's for Ireland was never up there with the great TFM?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Keane is a walking contradiction.

He often says to others just get on with it. Maybe he could have done that in Saipan.

Slates Punditry & does it himself after a failed managerial career.
    Holds grudges against anyone who he feels treated him poorly. Very bitter man.

• Advertisement
Advertisement