Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Roy Keane

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,612 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Always thought he was a bit of a bully and a psycho. From saying he broke yer mans leg on purpose to ripping into players , just an angry angry man on who different or more subtle talents are completely lost on him. Love to see him and nigel pearson square up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,369 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Whether Walters was great for Ireland or not is a matter of opinion, and a legitimate topic.

His family tragedies should not be a topic for discussion.

And even less, a topic for laughs and "craic".

Keane didn't discuss Walters' family tragedies. He criticised Walters for discussing his family tragedies in the media. Still very harsh but you'd swear Keane went into some level of detail on it the way people have reacted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Fernando Itchy Winter

Liam O wrote: »
    Keane didn't discuss Walters' family tragedies. He criticised Walters for discussing his family tragedies in the media. Still very harsh but you'd swear Keane went into some level of detail on it the way people have reacted.
    shush Liverpool fans/outrage brigade wont like that....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

Yes, he basically said ‘he’s on tv crying’ nothing more. Still think he could have bit his lip though. But doesn’t change my opinion of the man.

Liam O wrote: »

That's kinda dancing on the head of a pin.

But happy to expand on my point. Walters family tragedies, or how he reacts to them, should not be a matter for Keane or anyone to guffaw at.

Always thought he was a bit of scumbag

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Wasn't a huge fan of him as a player, limited technical ability, all flying into tackles and swearing and hard running. It wasn't exactly the beautiful game. But very effective, he was definitely one of the better hard men type players, maybe only Viera was better at that role in England at the time.

One thing that marked his whole career, from reneging on Blackburn to raising the whole threat about playing for Celtic every time his contract was up to dressing up as leprechaun to releasing autobiographies on the eve of Irish matches to asking Niall Quinn for a job...he was always driven by money. He spoke a load of old nonsense about principles and slamming pundits and red tops, but he became a pundit and afair either had a column in or serialised one of his books in some rag.

As true a liverpool fan if there ever was. Only one of them could routinely put down a man that dominated players week in week out for 10 years.

To class Viera and Keane two of the premier leagues top midfielders as Vinny Jones esque shows how little you know about football.

As true a liverpool fan if there ever was. Only one of them could routinely put down a man thay dominated players week in week out for 10 years.

Isn't he a Leeds fan?

Whether Walters was great for Ireland or not is a matter of opinion, and a legitimate topic.

His family tragedies should not be a topic for discussion.

And even less, a topic for laughs and "craic".

When Walter's comes into the PUBLIC domain to speak about his family and his hardship then yes, its absolutely up for discussion. Keane used it as a stick to beat him with, but let's not lose the run if ourselves. He said 'family situation' Walter's himself has gone into the detail.

I personally couldn't believe that this was going on the not training etc. If that's true when passed fit get the **** out of there and give your place up to someone else. It's hardly surprising that Keane a player who would probably play with one leg would get annoyed at this. Yes you can argue it's a different time that he needs to pander to these player but you know what, he doesnt and hes true to himself. That's why I like him as an individual.

• Advertisement

6 wrote: »
    Isn't he a Leeds fan?

Worse again, makes even more sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,719 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Was a huge Roy Keane fan - along with McGrath my favourite Irish player EVER - sided with him over Saipan , and given the continuing FAI corruption with Delaney , he was right , BUT

he was out of order about Walters , a player who gave everything for Ireland with his limited ability. Himself and Walters should step in a cage , and somehow justice might get meeted out.

Worse again, makes even more sense.

In your opinion, but it makes your post look a bit silly :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭spurshero

Roy Keane the player brilliant . Roy Keane the person sad .

6 wrote: »
    In your opinion, but it makes your post look a bit silly :)

Why? Are you 100% sure of the club? Either or would illustrate the bias that's clearly evident in the posts previously. Actually its nonsensical the dribble from a player perspective. Of course the social element is up for discussion but youd be hard pressed to find someone on the isle of Ireland that would categorise Roy Keane as limited from a playing perspective.

spurshero wrote: »
    Roy Keane the player brilliant . Roy Keane the person sad .

How though? Things clearly annoy him. He has standards and he doesnt best to the drum and not discuss them in the open. He speaks his mind rightly or wrongly its what he clearly believes and hes 100% true to himself. I'm not saying hes right in what he believes but i admire him for not answering every question with a stock response.

• Advertisement

Why? Are you 100% sure of the club? Either or would illustrate the bias that's clearly evident in the posts previously. Actually its nonsensical the dribble from a player perspective. Of course the social element is up for discussion but youd be hard pressed to find someone on the isle of Ireland that would categorise Roy Keane as limited from a playing perspective.

I thought it was common knowledge Conor is a Leeds fan unless I'm mixing him up with someone else.

No idea why Keane was called limited as a player btw. That's obviously way off the mark.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,834 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

MD1990 wrote: »
    Keane is a walking contradiction.

He often says to others just get on with it. Maybe he could have done that in Saipan.

Slates Punditry & does it himself after a failed managerial career.
    Holds grudges against anyone who he feels treated him poorly. Very bitter man.

I absolutely loved him as a footballer but he seriously does himself zero favors now as a sportsman or indeed human being in the media some of the guff he comes out with, targeting the supposed faults and misdeeds of others when he should really keep his mouth shut and focus on himself...

The last club he managed, was Ipswich, 7/8 years ago, unsuccessfully... he hasn’t managed since then..now he is again, sitting beside Martin O’Neill at Forest as his assistant yet again....hell of an ambitious fella right, but he can be spouting off about everyone and everything with his pseudo air of authority and ignorant scattergun dismissiveness but should the mirror be turned towards him...well we have seen the reactions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,508 ✭✭✭✭noodler

When Walter's comes into the PUBLIC domain to speak about his family and his hardship then yes, its absolutely up for discussion. Keane used it as a stick to beat him with, but let's not lose the run if ourselves. He said 'family situation' Walter's himself has gone into the detail.

I personally couldn't believe that this was going on the not training etc. If that's true when passed fit get the **** out of there and give your place up to someone else. It's hardly surprising that Keane a player who would probably play with one leg would get annoyed at this. Yes you can argue it's a different time that he needs to pander to these player but you know what, he doesnt and hes true to himself. That's why I like him as an individual.

Keane ran his mouth at one of our most dedicated players and accused him of not caring and faking injury.

He thought he knew better than the medical staff and stuck his oar in when it wasn't his place.

The idea of questioning Walters commitment in an Irish shirt is laughable. Keane probably didn't like him getting any praise.

Getting on stage and slagging Walters family situation in that snide tone was disgraceful. Walters raised a bit of awareness bringing it up and for a decent cause.

Meanwhile you've Keane raising his own profile by utterly destroying all around him, Saipan, mutv interview , Walters and arter situation etc. It's all kinds of ironic.

I hope you'll leave the demented Liverpool fan accusations at the door btw. Ireland fans first.

Strumms wrote: »
    I absolutely loved him as a footballer but he seriously does himself zero favors now as a sportsman or indeed human being in the media some of the guff he comes out with, targeting the supposed faults and misdeeds of others when he should really keep his mouth shut and focus on himself...

The last club he managed, was Ipswich, 7/8 years ago, unsuccessfully... he hasn’t managed since then..now he is again, sitting beside Martin O’Neill at Forest as his assistant yet again....hell of an ambitious fella right, but he can be spouting off about everyone and everything with his pseudo air of authority and ignorant scattergun dismissiveness but should the mirror be turned towards him...well we have seen the reactions

Left forest pretty quickly....has said himself day to day assistant manager didnt suit. Was involved in one Irelands best campaigns. I dont know where the 7/8 years have come from. Hes been a relevant figure for a long time.

noodler wrote: »
    Keane ran his mouth at one of our most dedicated players and accused him of not caring and faking injury.

He thought he knew better than the medical staff and stuck his oar in when it wasn't his place.

The idea of questioning Walters commitment in an Irish shirt is laughable. Keane probably didn't like him getting any praise.

Getting on stage and slagging Walters family situation in that snide tone was disgraceful. Walters raised a bit of awareness bringing it up and for a decent cause.

Meanwhile you've Keane raising his own profile by utterly destroying all around him, Saipan, mutv interview , Walters and arter situation etc. It's all kinds of ironic.

I hope you'll leave the demented Liverpool fan accusations at the door btw. Ireland fans first.

And that's Walters account right? If you believe Roy's account then hes fit to train. If he wasnt fit then why did his club allow him on international duty.

You think Walters is doing that out of a good cause, laughable. Hes doing it along with lighting fire to the Keane debate to propel himself into the lime light

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭Mokuba

A hypocritical caricature, and an utterly pathetic defense of his despicable reference to Walters family situation.

True to himself? What a load of utter b*llocks.

Quick reminder that Jon Walters never walked out on Ireland (or made his position so untenable that the manager had no choice but to send him home). Quick reminder that he was talking about the same Jon Walters who was instrumental to Roy being able to earn a living, Walters who repeatedly covered every blade of grass and was a talisman for us for their entire reign.

He holds a grudge because he didn't like the fact that Walters wanted to go to the Premier League and the way he went about it. I'm sure Kenny Dalglish would have a few words about how Roy gave him guarantees about signing for Blackburn and shook his hand, and gave him his word. Great character there Roy. True to yourself.

He has a go at Jon Walters and Harry Arter regarding their injury programs. This coming from the man who pulled out of one of the most important games for Ireland in his lifetime with injury, yet 2 days later completed the full 90 minutes for Manchester United against Leicester. Should probably keep his mouth shut about that kind of thing.

He didn't say a bad word about the big bad FAI, because they lined his pockets so nicely for the past couple of years. Change of tune from back in the day. Almost as if he is a complete hypocrite. True to himself.

He kept making excuses for the Irish results over the final year and a half saying that there were players missing. Who was missing exactly? Oh just one player - Seamus Coleman. Not ideal, but a position where we had brilliant cover in Matt Doherty that Roy and Martin ignored for the vast majority of their tenure. Really up against it there with the injuries Roy.

No doubt in my mind that himself and Martin were instrumental in us losing Grealish and Rice to England - opinions echoed by Stephen Kenny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,508 ✭✭✭✭noodler

And that's Walters account right? If you believe Roy's account then hes fit to train. If he wasnt fit then why did his club allow him on international duty.

You think Walters is doing that out of a good cause, laughable. Hes doing it along with lighting fire to the Keane debate to propel himself into the lime light

He's talking about his family tragedies to propel himself into the limelight?

What are you basing that on?

Are you not just making up motivations to justify Keane's awful behaviour?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,283 ✭✭✭AidoEirE

Trigger wrote: »
    Tbf you called Timothy Fosu Mensah Class so are you saying that Walter's for Ireland was never up there with the great TFM?

Doubt you'll get a reply back from the lad tbh, tends to go when being called up on his posts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,464 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Keane and Bono.
    Two tossheads who are complete and utter gob****es.
    As soon as they open their mouths you just know its complete nonsense coming out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Walters retired due to injury less than a year after this happened. He tore his achilles.

I wlling to believe Walters more so than Keane who probably held a grudge against Walters dating back to Ipswich.

As true a liverpool fan if there ever was...

Good for you. I would keep an eye on Leeds myself, but first and foremost a fan of the Irish team...
    It's hardly surprising that Keane a player who would probably play with one leg would get annoyed at this.

As a fan of the Irish team, I know how laughably incorrect that is.
    Mokuba wrote: »
    This coming from the man who pulled out of one of the most important games for Ireland in his lifetime with injury, yet 2 days later completed the full 90 minutes for Manchester United against Leicester. Should probably keep his mouth shut about that kind of thing.

If you can't recall Irish World Cup playoffs, well I guess it
    ...shows how little you know about football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

"He is a polarising figure." Is a term that could have been invented for Keane.

As a Liverpool fan I really don't know if it was that or not but Saipan for me was the crossing of the Rubicon. It was devastating, his carry on but like I said people have wildly different views of the event.

I actually quite like Keane but from a distance. We would not be friends in real life. I'm quite certain this would not bother him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

He was confronted by Mick McCarthy in Saipan because Roy went on the record with a few national media outlets.

He said in the interview how it was 'forgotten' about and they had moved on by the time that infamous meeting happened.

Roy is very good at telling his side of the story, but not so much the other.

He was Ireland's greatest ever footballer, of the Premier League era anyway. He's been hit and miss as a manager. And I think he's a really good pundit.

He's a divisive character all around.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

One thing is for sure he did not do anything as a player ( after leaving Utd ) to prove Utd wrong with regard to getting rid of him .

He was finished as a player when Utd decided he was surplus to requirements .

From Utd’s point of view = Good decision .

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Wasn't a huge fan of him as a player, limited technical ability, all flying into tackles and swearing and hard running. It wasn't exactly the beautiful game. But very effective, he was definitely one of the better hard men type players, maybe only Viera was better at that role in England at the time.

One thing that marked his whole career, from reneging on Blackburn to raising the whole threat about playing for Celtic every time his contract was up to dressing up as leprechaun to releasing autobiographies on the eve of Irish matches to asking Niall Quinn for a job...he was always driven by money. He spoke a load of old nonsense about principles and slamming pundits and red tops, but he became a pundit and afair either had a column in or serialised one of his books in some rag.

Ah here, you can like or dislike Keane all you want but don't talk nonsense.

• Advertisement

blinding wrote: »
    One thing is for sure he did not do anything as a player ( after leaving Utd ) to prove Utd wrong with regard to getting rid of him .

He was finished as a player when Utd decided he was surplus to requirements .

From Utd’s point of view = Good decision .

He retired a few months later so yeah there was never any debate about that. Think he had a chance to go to Juventus a few years prior to as I recall but stayed at Man United. Maybe he should have went that time.

TheCitizen wrote: »
    He retired a few months later so yeah there was never any debate about that. Think he had a chance to go to Juventus a few years prior to as I recall but stayed at Man United. Maybe he should have went that time.
    So except for Roy's huffing and puffing , Utd did the right thing from their point of view .

Surprising that Roy is such a snowflake about it :eek::eek:

So except for Roy's huffing and puffing , Utd did the right thing from their point of view .

Surprising that Roy is such a snowflake about it :eek::eek:

I think he was complaining about being set up on the MUTV channel or something, I don't really remember it.

He had a point about Ferguson. Ferguson wrote his book and slated many of the players that won him trophies, that was bad form and Keane is 100 percent right to put the boot into him for that.

I think he was complaining about being set up on the MUTV channel or something, I don't really remember it.

He had a point about Ferguson. Ferguson wrote his book and slated many of the players that won him trophies, that was bad form and Keane is 100 percent right to put the boot into him for that.
    But does Roy need to be such a Snowflake about it .

Man up Roy , You were playing in the big boys world .

Its surprising the On the Ball presenters didn’t ask Roy why he is such a snowflake ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

AidoEirE wrote: »
    Doubt you'll get a reply back from the lad tbh, tends to go when being called up on his posts

Not really, when i make a point (and more often that not it turns out to be true) lads get offended, report the post and i get thread banned

I read both fergie and keanes book. Fergie didnt slate many of his players in fairness

But does Roy need to be such a Snowflake about it .

Man up Roy , You were playing in the big boys world .

He's using it as a chance to put the boot into Ferguson and he's 100 percent right about that.

All the sycophancy around Ferguson would make you puke. It was "Sir" Alex this and "Sir" Alex that and then he goes and writes a book slagging his players for a few quid. Ferguson was a great manager obviously but he ruled the roost there in England had other managers licking his boots and the media running scared of him, he was a pain in the hole.

Keane should've got out of the English cesspit when he was offered the chance and get a different perspective for himself at Juventus, I wonder is that his biggest regret.

Still it's good to that someone is getting a dig in at Ferguson cos it's well deserved.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Scott Tenorman

Roy Keane says something about someone: he thinks they should man up and get over it

Someone says something about Roy Keane: he holds a grudge for 20 years

Typical bully.

Interestingly if the Whatsapp thing is accurate he sh*t himself when Walters stood up to him, also typical bully behaviour

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Abel Ruiz

Mokuba wrote: »

He has a go at Jon Walters and Harry Arter regarding their injury programs. This coming from the man who pulled out of one of the most important games for Ireland in his lifetime with injury, yet 2 days later completed the full 90 minutes for Manchester United against Leicester. Should probably keep his mouth shut about that kind of thing.

Great post Mokuba. I agree with everything, especially what I quoted from your post.

Also, regarding what he said the other night.
    Gary asked him, "what would Roy Keane the manager have done in that situation?" (the row with Alex and Carlos).
    Roy said he wouldnt let it get that far. Rubbish.

The way he spoke about Ward, Walters and Arthur was so childish. Keane made a fool of himself.

Also, the way he spoke about Kenny Cunningham. What did he ever do?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

The one thing I enjoy about Roy Keane is when he is punditing England games, he is an antidote to the other "cheerleader" pundits they usually have on.

bangkok wrote: »
    I read both fergie and keanes book. Fergie didnt slate many of his players in fairness

That wasn't the commentary on it at the time

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/manchester-united/Sir_Alex_Ferguson/10396024/Alex-Ferguson-savages-former-Manchester-United-captain-Roy-Keane-in-his-extraordinary-autobiography.html

Roy seems to expect special treatment for Roy .

Treatment that he does not seem to think others deserve .

Roy Keane says something about someone: he thinks they should man up and get over it

Someone says something about Roy Keane: he holds a grudge for 20 years

Typical bully.

Interestingly if the Whatsapp thing is accurate he sh*t himself when Walters stood up to him, also typical bully behaviour

He has a cut at someone and others have a cut at him and we all sit back and lap it up. That's it in a nutshell.

He has a cut at someone and others have a cut at him and we all sit back and lap it up. That's it in a nutshell.
    But Roy seems to think he should have got special treatment because he is Roy .

Utd could see he was finished and showed him the door . Why doesn’t he man up and accept it . It happens with big boys rules and Roy would be the first to declare himself a big boy .

Utd could see he was finished and showed him the door . Why doesn’t he man up and accept it . It happens with big boys rules and Roy would be the first to declare himself a big boy .

He's not keeping himself busy and getting paid as a manager so he's talking about stuff instead and getting attention that way. It's working for him, he definitely has your attention.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Despite being the common denominator in all his various bust-ups over the years, he always seems to think it someone else's fault.

Great player, who at his peak would have nailed down a place in any national or league side in the world - the 2002 WC goes down as one of the greatest 'what if?' moments for me.

He now strikes me as someone who will spend his remaining years raging against the dying of the light.

The Walters comments were totally unnecessary and very poorly judged - he should reflect on them and apologise but TBH I can't ever see that happening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,369 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Did you listen to the interview? He said he had no problem with being shown the door but it was the manner in which it happened.

There's good and bad things that Keane has done and said. As with everything now, everyone wants it to be black and white. He didn't criticise Walters' family and didn't end Haaland's career. He did criticise Walters for airing his demons on TV which is too far and he did go out to injure Haaland after holding a grudge. He does a lot of charity work but on the other side would be maybe not overly considerate of mental health issues going on his recent comments.

These kind of guys are heroes on the field/their sphere but I don't know why people expect them to be role models/perfect people outside it. A lot of times they've come from rough working class backgrounds and have clawed their way to the top with little help from anyone. That said, I think a lot of criticism, and probably defence of him in fairness, on this thread is down to pre-conceived biases. Things can be grey too...

this is it, 100%, he probably thought he was untouchable at united, then they just got rid of him out of nowhere (well in keane's thoughts anyway) and id say it was a shock to him. Said himself he went out to the car and cried after it happened

bangkok wrote: »
    this is it, 100%, he probably thought he was untouchable at united, then they just got rid of him out of nowhere (well in keane's thoughts anyway) and i said it was a shock to him. Said himself he went out to the car and cried after it happened
    Roy would have been fine if it happened to somebody else particularly if he did not like them .

But Roy thinks Roy deserved special treatment which basically goes against everything else Roy would say normally .

Somebody should tell Roy he is a big hypocrite ;):eek:

• Advertisement
Advertisement