Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Roy Keane

Comments

bangkok wrote: »
    Said himself he went out to the car and cried after it happened

It is appropriate to cry over big things like contracts and money.

It is unacceptable to cry over small matters like family tragedies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

He'd be forgotten about by now if not for Martin taking pity on him trying to rejuvenate his managerial career. That didn't work out, and now he's just another pundit who doesn't understand why football has moved on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Peatys wrote: »
    He'd be forgotten about by now if not for Martin taking pity on him trying to rejuvenate his managerial career. That didn't work out, and now he's just another pundit who doesn't understand why football has moved on.

like a certain other manager who i wont name :)

Mokuba wrote: »
    A hypocritical caricature, and an utterly pathetic defense of his despicable reference to Walters family situation.

True to himself? What a load of utter b*llocks.

Quick reminder that Jon Walters never walked out on Ireland (or made his position so untenable that the manager had no choice but to send him home). Quick reminder that he was talking about the same Jon Walters who was instrumental to Roy being able to earn a living, Walters who repeatedly covered every blade of grass and was a talisman for us for their entire reign.

He holds a grudge because he didn't like the fact that Walters wanted to go to the Premier League and the way he went about it. I'm sure Kenny Dalglish would have a few words about how Roy gave him guarantees about signing for Blackburn and shook his hand, and gave him his word. Great character there Roy. True to yourself.

He has a go at Jon Walters and Harry Arter regarding their injury programs. This coming from the man who pulled out of one of the most important games for Ireland in his lifetime with injury, yet 2 days later completed the full 90 minutes for Manchester United against Leicester. Should probably keep his mouth shut about that kind of thing.

He didn't say a bad word about the big bad FAI, because they lined his pockets so nicely for the past couple of years. Change of tune from back in the day. Almost as if he is a complete hypocrite. True to himself.

He kept making excuses for the Irish results over the final year and a half saying that there were players missing. Who was missing exactly? Oh just one player - Seamus Coleman. Not ideal, but a position where we had brilliant cover in Matt Doherty that Roy and Martin ignored for the vast majority of their tenure. Really up against it there with the injuries Roy.

No doubt in my mind that himself and Martin were instrumental in us losing Grealish and Rice to England - opinions echoed by Stephen Kenny.

Put a frame around this post and close the thread

like a certain other manager who i wont name :)

That could be a long list!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 491 ✭✭B_ecke_r

people think Roy is great giving his opinion and then criticise Michael Owen for being honest and controversial.

he was out of order regarding John Walters' family situation though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

I like Keane but I do think he has a very narrow mindset in the sense that what worked for him and made him the tough character he is should apply to everyone else.

He had three managers of note in his career that forged him:-

Brian Clough
    Alex Ferguson
    Jack Charlton

'This is what worked for me and made me a successful player. So that's what I expect.'

All 'old school' and from The North in terms of Britain. But the petty jibes are unnecessary. His old mentors did not go on like that- ok Whatapp etc did not exist.

In some respects he does not know any better. The only other manager of note was Mick McCarthy and he had no time for him as he regarded him as inferior.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

a few click bait headlines. did you actually read the book?

I don't need to read the book to know what Ferguson was like. Here's some more clickbait for you.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/manchester-united/5918092/Sir-Alex-Fergusons-top-10-feuds.html
    Ferguson had plenty of feuds in his time. His anger at Gordon Strachan was due to the temerity of Strachan signing for Cologne in 1984 when Ferguson was his manager at Aberdeen. Imagine the thought of it. Keane should've went to Juventus when he had the chance.

Strachan went to Man U without playing for Cologne in and then Ferguson arrived a couple of years later but he didn't drop the argument and Strachan won the league with Leeds when Ferguson sold him to them.

To hell with Ferguson, don't know why a bunch of Irish soccer fans would be taking his side in an argument between Ferguson and Roy Keane.

TheCitizen wrote: »
    To hell with Ferguson, don't know why a bunch of Irish soccer fans would be taking his side in an argument between Ferguson and Roy Keane.

I thought you were blindly defending Roy cause you were a utd fan!

You're not from Cork by any chance?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

50% of my boards red cards have involved Sir Alex, I wouldn't be a fan but you could understand why Irish Utd fans would take his side over Keanes. His departure was engineered to a certain extent by the club probably by Ferguson himself. An ignominious end to a glittering career. It was great :)

• Advertisement

basically @ 34 Keane wasn't worth the hassle he used to be.

Wouldn't be Ferguson's biggest fan but don't really think he was wrong to be honest.

I'd say think about the Scottish clubs Keane and Ferguson played for...

B_ecke_r wrote: »
    basically @ 34 Keane wasn't worth the hassle he used to be.

Wouldn't be Ferguson's biggest fan but don't really think he was wrong to be honest.

exactly and fergie could see it but roy couldnt. Only played another 13 games of football after he left united

Mokuba wrote: »
    A hypocritical caricature, and an utterly pathetic defense of his despicable reference to Walters family situation.

True to himself? What a load of utter b*llocks.

Quick reminder that Jon Walters never walked out on Ireland (or made his position so untenable that the manager had no choice but to send him home). Quick reminder that he was talking about the same Jon Walters who was instrumental to Roy being able to earn a living, Walters who repeatedly covered every blade of grass and was a talisman for us for their entire reign.

He holds a grudge because he didn't like the fact that Walters wanted to go to the Premier League and the way he went about it. I'm sure Kenny Dalglish would have a few words about how Roy gave him guarantees about signing for Blackburn and shook his hand, and gave him his word. Great character there Roy. True to yourself.

He has a go at Jon Walters and Harry Arter regarding their injury programs. This coming from the man who pulled out of one of the most important games for Ireland in his lifetime with injury, yet 2 days later completed the full 90 minutes for Manchester United against Leicester. Should probably keep his mouth shut about that kind of thing.

He didn't say a bad word about the big bad FAI, because they lined his pockets so nicely for the past couple of years. Change of tune from back in the day. Almost as if he is a complete hypocrite. True to himself.

He kept making excuses for the Irish results over the final year and a half saying that there were players missing. Who was missing exactly? Oh just one player - Seamus Coleman. Not ideal, but a position where we had brilliant cover in Matt Doherty that Roy and Martin ignored for the vast majority of their tenure. Really up against it there with the injuries Roy.

No doubt in my mind that himself and Martin were instrumental in us losing Grealish and Rice to England - opinions echoed by Stephen Kenny.

That's not exactly what Kenny said though.

You're wrong about that bit in bold. Rice and Grealish bailed out because the English management and the English FA became more aggressive about getting English born players to jump ship and go to the England set up. There are lessons to be learned from Rice and Grealish but they left the Irish set up for their own reasons and trying to blame MON and Keane for that is inaccurate and a bit pathetic.

Put a frame around this post and close the thread

Not at all. A very flawed and inaccurate post actually.

A joke that it got so many "thanks":pac:

I'm not blindingly defending anyone. I'm saying Keane is giving it after Ferguson gave him a bit. So what? How is it that Ferguson can say what he likes without criticism? Nah, not having that.

I don't need to read the book to know what Ferguson was like. Here's some more clickbait for you.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/manchester-united/5918092/Sir-Alex-Fergusons-top-10-feuds.html
    Ferguson had plenty of feuds in his time. His anger at Gordon Strachan was due to the temerity of Strachan signing for Cologne in 1984 when Ferguson was his manager at Aberdeen. Imagine the thought of it. Keane should've went to Juventus when he had the chance.

Strachan went to Man U without playing for Cologne in and then Ferguson arrived a couple of years later but he didn't drop the argument and Strachan won the league with Leeds when Ferguson sold him to them.

so you didnt read the book and you say Ferguson slated many of his players in the book.

I did read the book and am telling you that he didnt

I'm not blindingly defending anyone. I'm saying Keane is giving it after Ferguson gave him a bit. So what? How is it that Ferguson can say what he likes without criticism? Nah, not having that.

ferguson bailed keane out more times than anyone, covered stuff up when it needed to be, when he needed keane.

keane towards the end had over stepped his mark one too many time, he asked carlos queiroz in front of all the players if he "rides his wife in the same position every night" crazy carry on

I'd say think about the Scottish clubs Keane and Ferguson played for...

Nope wrong there Conor.

There's lots of Celtic fans that don't like Roy Keane either, for the Saipan thing, for going on about being a big Celtic fan but then only played a handful games for them and also he turned down the managers job at Celtic (which was a blessing in my view).

For me I find Keane entertaining, and yes definitely he says things he shouldn't at times but he's entitled to have a go at people who criticise him like Ferguson for example. Ferguson isn't a hate figure with Celtic fans at all. It's a long long time ago that he played for Rangers and he didn't maintain any relationship with them. So no you have it wrong there.

Why do you not like Keane? Is being a Leeds fan part of it?

• Advertisement

Are you from Cork? :D

so you didnt read the book and you say Ferguson slated many of his players in the book.

I did read the book and am telling you that he didnt

That's not what was reported on the book, are you telling me those reports were all inaccurate? It's not just the stuff in the book where he has slated former players of his, did you read the other article that was linked there?

Look, Keane is mental.

He said so himself.

Are you from Cork? :D

Don't be such a langer

Ferguson playing for Rangers about a million years ago is very low on the list of reasons not to like him to be honest

That's not exactly what Kenny said though.

You're wrong about that bit in bold. Rice and Grealish bailed out because the English management and the English FA became more aggressive about getting English born players to jump ship and go to the England set up. There are lessons to be learned from Rice and Grealish but they left the Irish set up for their own reasons and trying to blame MON and Keane for that is inaccurate and a bit pathetic.

Exactly.

Grealish and Rice declared for England because they are English and want to play for their home nation. It suited them damn fine to play Irish underage and to get the experience but as they have developed it became clear that they would be good enough for England. My only irritation is that it took them so long to decide or give the BS impression that it was a heart wrenching decision.

Just like Ciaran Clarke- played for England underage and when it was clear he would not be good enough to play for England he jumped ship.

What would you do? Play for England where you were born and raised with better players and pretty much guaranteed major tournament football every 2 years or scrap around with the ROI trying to beat other 3rd and 4th ranked nations where a 0-0 is a result.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,508 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I personally don't blame MON or Keane for the rice or grealish situations tbh.

They are grown men.

B_ecke_r wrote: »
    Ferguson playing for Rangers about a million years ago is very low on the list of reasons not to like him to be honest

Definitely yes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,463 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Roy Keane is a motivator, anyone who gets offended by him trying to push them harder is a sissy.
    Roy argues with someone and five minutes later it's forgot, except with the other party who never forget and like to run to their mommy and the media with a sob story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,508 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Roy Keane is a motivator, anyone who gets offended by him trying to push them harder is a sissy.
    Roy argues with someone and five minutes later it's forgot, except with the other party who never forget and like to run to their mommy and the media with a sob story.

We aren't talking about giving out to someone in one of his teams about giving more effort.

We are talking about snide comments making light of another man's family tragedies at a public event.

Exactly.

Grealish and Rice declared for England because they are English and want to play for their home nation. It suited them damn fine to play Irish underage and to get the experience but as they have developed it became clear that they would be good enough for England. My only irritation is that it took them so long to decide or give the BS impression that it was a heart wrenching decision.

Just like Ciaran Clarke- played for England underage and when it was clear he would not be good enough to play for England he jumped ship.

What would you do? Play for England where you were born and raised with better players and pretty much guaranteed major tournament football every 2 years or scrap around with the ROI trying to beat other 3rd and 4th ranked nations where a 0-0 is a result.

Agreed, especially the bit in bold. Rice in particular took ages to say he was switching, there's no need for that and that's the reason for the hate for him not that he decided to play for England the country of his birth. He dragged it out and made a drama out of it.

• Advertisement

Agreed, especially the bit in bold. Rice in particular took ages to say he was switching, there's no need for that and that's the reason for the hate for him not that he decided to play for England the country of his birth. He dragged it out and made a drama out of it.

The English FA made strong overtures to Andy Townsend as well 30 years ago not to declare for the ROI and by all accounts he was due to be named in the English squad. He resisted on the basis that he would probably only get 1-2 friendlies and that was it.

At least the ROI was a very good team 30 years ago that could hold its own with any team in the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,463 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

noodler wrote: »
    We aren't talking about giving out to someone in one of his teams about giving more effort.

We are talking about snide comments making light of another man's family tragedies at a public event.

John threatening his family is worst, losing the plot and tell Roy he'll be paying Roys home a visit. Roy tells it like it is, but he doesn't cross the line. The line for him is different that most though. He fights his corner, but doesn't cross to the point he threatens to hurt others or their family.

The English FA made strong overtures to Andy Townsend as well 30 years ago not to declare for the ROI and by all accounts he was due to be named in the English squad. He resisted on the basis that he would probably only get 1-2 friendlies and that was it.

At least the ROI was a very good team 30 years ago that could hold its own with any team in the world.

They're doing ok now, have a good chance of qualifying. A better chance of being at Euro 2020 than Grealish does right now it appears.

John threatening his family is worst, losing the plot and tell Roy he'll be paying Roys home a visit. Roy tells it like it is, but he doesn't cross the line. The line for him is different that most though. He fights his corner, but doesn't cross to the point he threatens to hurt others or their family.

alf inge haaland says hello

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Jurgen The German

alf inge haaland says hello

He didnt threaten him tbf, he just mangled him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Blue giant wrote: »
    Roy Keane was one of the best passers in the most dominant team of the premier league era. To say he had limited technical ability is slanderous. One of the best players I've ever seen at playing a 15 - 20 yard ball into a forwards feet and you'll find many former teammates of Keane support that view.
    n.

Theres plenty of people around who dont realise what they are watching when they are looking at football.

Players like kante, Makalele and many others who often get overlooked for what they do. People not understand why good defending is good and why it's as important a part of the game as being good at scoring goals.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Scott Tenorman

Wow really? Roy Keane argues with someone and it forgotten in 5 mins? I would say for him it is NEVER forgotten

Roy argues with someone and five minutes later it's forgot...

:D:D

The same Roy who is trawling back through the decades on the radio, rehashing old arguments and fall outs...though this time without the person he fell out with, to challenge him or his version? The same Roy who bragged about how long he held grudges ("I'd waited long enough. I ****ing hit him hard").

Edit - in fairness, you may have been trying irony and I just completely missed it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,834 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Think at this stage Roy needs to take a long hard look at himself.

From the point of view of a football club/chairman/director of football who’d be seeking to hire a manager....

Pluses :

Experienced
    A winner although only in mentality as far as management goes thus far
    Driven
    Worked with the best in the game

Minuses :

Inability to know when to keep his mouth shut. Picking the wrong battles.
    A tendency to fall out publicly and dramatically with players and staff and anyone.
    A very average record as a manager in terms of meeting club expectations.
    Very mixed ability to attract players and develop a squad to meet club expectations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,022 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Think he's a smart man, and a great communicator, who still has something to offer the footballing world - but could really do with a little bit of therapy or counseling to help let go of some of his demons and hangups.

• Advertisement

Strumms wrote: »
    From the point of view of a football club/chairman/director of football who’d be seeking to hire a manager....
    Minuses :

Inability to know when to keep his mouth shut. Picking the wrong battles.
    A tendency to fall out publicly and dramatically with players and staff and anyone.
    A very average record as a manager in terms of meeting club expectations.
    Very mixed ability to attract players and develop a squad to meet club expectations.

A certainty that, within a few years, he'll be revealing all in a book or on some radio show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,719 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

just listened to Walters side - in a one on one scrap do you think Walters would do him ?

I suppose with Keane now he is like a grumpy old man complaining about the youth of today having it soft and easy.

There is an awful lot of BS in the game these days and he just can't stand it.

Look at his peers during the 90s:

Viera
    Shearer
    Batty
    Sherwood
    Ince
    Robson
    Adams
    Bould
    McGrath
    Townsend

All hardy feckers. Name one player today in that mold... not saying it is a bad thing just players are different today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,369 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

thebaz wrote: »
    just listened to Walters side - in a one on one scrap do you think Walters would do him ?

Being much younger and bigger would probably lean it in his favour alright :D

In their primes I'd expect Keane to do what was necessary somehow.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Liam O wrote: »
    Being much younger and bigger would probably lean it in his favour alright :D

In their primes I'd expect Keane to do what was necessary somehow.
    Did Roy actually ever fight anyone ?

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Scott Tenorman

I don't think Keane would be an especially strong fighter but i do think if you beat him he is one of those feckers that would keep coming back until one of you ends up seriously injured in hospital! Best not to engage with lads like that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,719 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

I don't think Keane would be an especially strong fighter but i do think if you beat him he is one of those feckers that would keep coming back until one of you ends up seriously injured in hospital! Best not to engage with lads like that

Keane would have done some boxing growing up , and was feared as a player in his prime , even Viera appeared scared , according to Walters it was Keane who was scared when he confronted him at Ipswich. This been the case I'm sure its not over, given what Keane said about him last week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,656 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

I. can see a charity fight coming up, JW with a 3rd rd KO

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭Fan of Netflix

thebaz wrote: »
    Keane would have done some boxing growing up , and was feared as a player in his prime , even Viera appeared scared , according to Walters it was Keane who was scared when he confronted him at Ipswich. This been the case I'm sure its not over, given what Keane said about him last week.
    Vieira was never scared of Keane take off the United hat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,369 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

No he didn't, you just made that up. Keane was trying to foul Haaland and injured himself.

His "striking back" consists of brooding for years and doing something nasty...often when the target is not around to challenge him.

It was because Haaland was giving him guff about faking injury while he was lying there with a cruciate injury. I don't know why people claim to not have heard this story multiple times, or do they just leave out the parts that suit whatever argument they're having?

Quoting this in correct thread.

Advertisement