Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Roy Keane

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,508 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Liam O wrote: »
    It was because Haaland was giving him guff about faking injury while he was lying there with a cruciate injury. I don't know why people claim to not have heard this story multiple times, or do they just leave out the parts that suit whatever argument they're having?

Quoting this in correct thread.

Pathetic justification for thuggery tbh.

I dunno why people use it as an excuse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,369 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

noodler wrote: »
    Pathetic justification for thuggery tbh.

I dunno why people use it as an excuse.

Where did I justify it?

It was because Haaland was giving him guff about faking injury while he was lying there with a cruciate injury.

A poster said Haland injured Keane.

That's incorrect. Keane was trying to foul Haaland and injured himself. That's why Haaland thought Keane was faking it to get out of a card.

Not sure if you missed the point or didn't know the circumstances. If the latter, well
    I don't know why people claim to not have heard this story multiple times, or do they just leave out the parts that suit whatever argument they're having?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

He had definitely a few scoops on board talking about Walters
    Keane’s filter is light enough at the best of times but was completely transparent at that time
    I’d say the booze was flowing back stage to get that tongue loosen a bit more

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,719 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Vieira was never scared of Keane take off the United hat.

I'm not United - but he certainly looked a bit scared to me in that infamous tunnell vid

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,719 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    He had definitely a few scoops on board talking about Walters
    Keane’s filter is light enough at the best of times but was completely transparent at that time
    I’d say the booze was flowing back stage to get that tongue loosen a bit more

I thought Keane no longer drinks - certainly didnt seam drunk

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Scott Tenorman

thebaz wrote: »
    I'm not United - but he certainly looked a bit scared to me in that infamous tunnell vid

So scared that he scored in the first couple of mins of the match :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

So scared that he scored in the first couple of mins of the match :pac:

And utd went on to win a classic

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Scott Tenorman

bangkok wrote: »
    And utd went on to win a classic

Indeed, but it was nothing to do with being scared in the tunnel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

thebaz wrote: »
    I thought Keane no longer drinks - certainly didnt seam drunk

He wasn't drunk.

Saw the video for the first time last night, I think Keane knew damn well what he was doing and was having a great time doing it. I think he just doesn't give much of a fuck.

There is a lot of hand wringing over nothing though, he said next to nothing about Walters mental health issues etc etc. He called him a bluffer and laughed at his lack of medals but nothing beyond the realm of opinion and nothing to get too worked up about.

This thread might as well be titled "Did you already like Keane or not" because apart from one troll that is all it really boils down to.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Indeed, but it was nothing to do with being scared in the tunnel

Ah vieria wasnt scared. He was a monster as well. Up there with keane as one of the best ever prem league midfielders

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Think he's a smart man, and a great communicator, who still has something to offer the footballing world - but could really do with a little bit of therapy or counseling to help let go of some of his demons and hangups.

He has the emotional intelligence of a 12 year old and his views on the current state of football seem very dated now.

Even on tv he offers very little insight, he’s only there because he’ll call out players or argue with a fellow pundit.

He’s a paid mouth now. Nothing more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

There is a lot of hand wringing over nothing though, he said next to nothing about Walters mental health issues etc etc. He called him a bluffer and laughed at his lack of medals but nothing beyond the realm of opinion and nothing to get too worked up about.
    I'm a Keane fan but you've left out the actual bit that has got people worked up! 'He's crying on the tv about his family situation'. That's the bit which most people think went too far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭facehugger99

he said next to nothing about Walters mental health issues etc etc. He called him a bluffer and laughed at his lack of medals

It's very juvenile behavior TBH.

I get that it goes down well with a certain demographic of fanboy, clappy-seals, but it doesn't really reflect well on him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Pighead wrote: »
    I'm a Keane fan but you've left out the actual bit that has got people worked up! 'He's crying on the tv about his family situation'. That's the bit which most people think went too far.

And thats it, thats all he said. In terms of "gone too far" its a lot of weak sauce if you ask me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,369 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

It's very juvenile behavior TBH.

I get that it goes down well with a certain demographic of fanboy, clappy-seals, but it doesn't really reflect well on him.

Almost as juvenile as putting a pig's head in a teammates locker and setting off a chain of events that leads to someone putting a brick through a teammates window and losing 2 weeks wages while you sit there laughing.

Walters has been critical of Keane and that was his way of striking back. He probably went too far bringing up what he did but it was quite mildly done. No specifics and very throwaway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

And thats it, thats all he said. In terms of "gone too far" its a lot of weak sauce if you ask me.

Not at all.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/sport/you-saved-my-life-jon-walters-reveals-messages-of-thanks-after-speaking-out-about-family-tragedies-950120.html - this is why it's important what Walters said on TV. Especially in a country like Ireland where generations of men were told to bottle everything up, to stay quiet, to suffer in silence and who eventually end up in a very, very dark place.

Keane belittling him for speaking to his grief, for being upset, well it's a measure of both men to my mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Am I the only one who thinks the whole Roy Keane 'hardman,tells it like it is, controversial' character shown on TV isn't just that..a character, gets him work,gets him cash...it's his only income I'd say..

Can't be spoiling that image..

Knows exactly what he's doing imo.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Almost as juvenile as putting a pig's head in a teammates locker and setting off a chain of events that leads to someone putting a brick through a teammates window and losing 2 weeks wages while you sit there laughing.

Walters has been critical of Keane and that was his way of striking back. He probably went too far bringing up what he did but it was quite mildly done. No specifics and very throwaway.
    Everyones done the pigs head in the locker . Didn’t David Cameron put his d ick in the pigs head and I don’t mean the pub .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭LeBash

Keane was a great player but hes a d1ckhead. Always has been, always will be.

Not many would tolerate the way he goes on if he wasnt a footballer.

Hes been ran out of Man U (I dont believe that was the full story on OTB), Ireland (regardless of how you see it, he was the only one who wasnt there and he had to go after he challenged the manager the way he did), refused to turn up to someones testimonial, Sunderland he had a falling out, Ipswich he had a falling out with board and players, Villa players apparently cheered as he stormed out and quit and Ireland, where he fell out with more than 1 player.

Btw, he was a filthy player that was just barely tolerated in his time, he ended 1 guys career, stamped on another cause he was being challenged (in a way that he would have challenged), swung elbows, hacked players down, plenty of deliberately late challenges etc etc etc.

We remember him fondly because he did great things for Ireland and Man U fans probably similar.

There is enough evidence to suggest he is a disgusting character but that probably made up a good part of the reason he was such a good player/captain.

• Advertisement

He probably went too far bringing up what he did but it was quite mildly done...

He joked about a person's reaction to a series of family tragedies.

Really not sure how it was "mildly done" or "weak sauce" as another poster put it. It was completely inappropriate.

Really not sure how it was "mildly done" or "weak sauce" as another poster put it. It was completely inappropriate.

Tbf, it's just showing Keane for what he is. A bitter angry man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 921 ✭✭✭The Good Ole Boys

Roy Keane is a real man's man. He is tough and uncompromising. He cares about facts, not feelings. Success is the ONLY way for him, and he should know, being as successful as he is. He never settles for second best. He is an inspiration to us all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Roy Keane is a real man's man. He is tough and uncompromising. He cares about facts, not feelings. Success is the ONLY way for him, and he should know, being as successful as he is. He never settles for second best. He is an inspiration to us all.

Them English classes are working wonders for you these days aren't they?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Over his total managerial career he is second class at best .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

Roy Keane is a real man's man.

What is a man’s man? :rolleyes:

eigrod wrote: »

a man's man

phrase of man

noun: man's man

a man who is more popular and at ease with other men than with women.

man's man noun
    Definition of man's man

: a man noted or admired for traditionally masculine interests and activities

Maybe it is not a popular saying in Ireland. but acting like it is never used in English is very rude and condescending, Eigrod.

eigrod wrote: »

A man who dresses up as a leprechaun for a few quid and sobs alone in his car when his boss gives him the door...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Jonny Walters said in his recent interview that he offered to go round to Roy's house for a scrap with his family there. Neither of them are coming out looking good in this. However both are perhaps happy to let it run for a bit cos it gets them both a bit of publicity.

David Meyler on Newstalk right now giving a far more reasoned and mature perspective on Roy Keane and MON and other things besides.

Walters beginning to sound like the biggest spoofer in this most recent spat.

TheCitizen wrote: »
    Jonny Walters said in his recent interview that he offered to go round to Roy's house for a scrap with his family there..

And that was silly, as macho posturing always is.

Are you saying it's just as objectionable as making light of a father's reaction to his little girls scoliosis, to the loss of an unborn child and the death of his brother?

I do not think the two are comparable.

And that was silly, as macho posturing always is.

Are you saying it's just as objectionable as making light of a father's reaction to his little girls scoliosis, to the loss of an unborn child and the death of his brother?

I do not think the two are comparable.

I wouldn't be bothered splitting hairs about it

I wouldn't be bothered splitting hairs about it

So you are saying they are comparable, and the distinction is just splitting hairs.

We'll have to disagree. I think "I'll batter you" and "ha ha ha, he was upset because his brother died and his wife miscarried ha ha" are very different. That to me is far nearer the Rangers fan taunting Scott Brown over his sister's death, it's using a family tragedy to score a cheap point.

So you are saying they are comparable, and the distinction is just splitting hairs.

We'll have to disagree. I think "I'll batter you" and "ha ha ha, he was upset because his brother died and his wife miscarried ha ha" are very different. That to me is far nearer the Rangers fan taunting Scott Brown over his sister's death, it's using a family tragedy to score a cheap point.

This isn't to do with fans. This is two grown men acting like idiots. I respect both of them for what they did for the Ireland soccer teams.

I think they're both at it to a certain extent and happy that people are still taking notice of them. They won't be taking notice of them for much longer.

Keane still wants to be a manager, maybe he will stay relevant if he gets another managerial job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

This isn't to do with fans. This is two grown men acting like idiots. I respect both of them for what they did for the Ireland soccer teams.

I think they're both at it to a certain extent and happy that people are still taking notice of them. They won't be taking notice of them for much longer.

Keane still wants to be a manager, maybe he will stay relevant if he gets another managerial job.

You'd want to be seriously detached from reality giving Keane a managerial job. Man's a disaster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Not too dissimilar to Jose Mourinho....you just know it will end in tears.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

LeBash wrote: »

Btw, he was a filthy player that was just barely tolerated in his time, he ended 1 guys career, stamped on another cause he was being challenged (in a way that he would have challenged), swung elbows, hacked players down, plenty of deliberately late challenges etc etc etc.

We remember him fondly because he did great things for Ireland and Man U fans probably similar.

There is enough evidence to suggest he is a disgusting character but that probably made up a good part of the reason he was such a good player/captain.

Who was that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,041 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

adox wrote: »
    Who was that?

That tactics board he kicked over at Sunderland. Was never the same after.

Who was that?

Martin O'Neill's career as a manager...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Am I the only one who thinks the whole Roy Keane 'hardman,tells it like it is, controversial' character shown on TV isn't just that..a character, gets him work,gets him cash...it's his only income I'd say..

Can't be spoiling that image..

Knows exactly what he's doing imo.

He cant get a job as a manager and after this Walters comment( the family one ) I dont see a any team taking a chance on him. Keane has always been like this , its his character hes not acting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,694 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

He doesn't care about people disliking him, so he does have a habit of 'telling it like it is'.

But every so often, he comes out a comment that shows the absolute wanker side of his character.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Deep burn from Trigger - "I'd rather have mates than medals"

https://www.football365.com/news/ex-liverpool-man-slams-keane-rather-have-mates-than-medals

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,041 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

"Couple of medals"

7 x Premier Leagues
    4 x FA Cups
    1 x Champions League
    1 x SPL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Who was that?

LeBash?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,592 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

I must stress, I never once talked to the press.. those quotes are made up lies!

Mokuba wrote: »
    No doubt in my mind that himself and Martin were instrumental in us losing Grealish and Rice to England - opinions echoed by Stephen Kenny.

I think he was taking about the poor relationship between O'Neill and the underage set up.

He certainly pretty clearly blamed O'Neill for losing both Rice and Grealish. And he should know.

Hard to imagine that a player like Rice would not see the fall out of the whole Keane/Arter/Walters row last year, or be a member of the Ward Whattsapp group where obviously Keane's issues were discussed, and not contrast that with the professionalism of the English set up.

I think he was taking about the poor relationship between O'Neill and the underage set up.

He certainly pretty clearly blamed O'Neill for losing both Rice and Grealish. And he should know.

Hard to imagine that a player like Rice would not see the fall out of the whole Keane/Arter/Walters row last year, or be a member of the Ward Whattsapp group where obviously Keane's issues were discussed, and not contrast that with the professionalism of the English set up.

(Shakes head) Not this again.

We know you don’t like MON and Keane to put it mildly but for the last time; Grealish and Rice fecked off because England came calling and they and their clubs and their agents saw the dollar signs that comes with being an English international in the English Premier League.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

(Shakes head) Not this again.

We know you don’t like MON and Keane to put it mildly but for the last time; Grealish and Rice fecked off because England came calling and they and their clubs and their agents saw the dollar signs that comes with being an English international in the English Premier League.

Rice was there when Keane started laying into Arters for being an English c*** who had no place in the Ireland setup, and then you wonder why a young English-born boy is starting to feel he's not wanted there and looking elsewhere? Seriously?

Rice was there when Keane started laying into Arters for being an English c*** who had no place in the Ireland setup, and then you wonder why a young English-born boy is starting to feel he's not wanted there and looking elsewhere? Seriously?

Rice left because he was chasing coin, simple as that. Any argument he may have witnessed between Roy Keane and anyone else he would have seen before in the West Ham dressing room or in the England dressing rooms now. He left because England called him and he wasn’t competitively capped by Ireland.

Edit; By the way he didn’t lay into him for being English, don’t make up stuff to try to prove a point.

• Advertisement
Advertisement