Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Recommend me a cheap gamepad for PC

• 08-09-2019 7:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 539 ✭✭✭

Thanks in advance for any advice.

I’m looking to pick up Untitled Goose Game for the family when it’s released, but don’t currently have a controller for my PC.

Was trying last night to pair my old Wii Classic controller via Bluetooth but the whole setup is a bit of a pain. Just want something basic on USB to plug in and go.

What’s a good cheapo option to go for? Was thinking of a secondhand Xbox 360 wired controller?

Any other recommendations? Cheap is the main thing here, not looking to drop more than 10 or 15 quid.

Ta!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 739 ✭✭✭phily2002

Thanks in advance for any advice.

I’m looking to pick up Untitled Goose Game for the family when it’s released, but don’t currently have a controller for my PC.

Was trying last night to pair my old Wii Classic controller via Bluetooth but the whole setup is a bit of a pain. Just want something basic on USB to plug in and go.

What’s a good cheapo option to go for? Was thinking of a secondhand Xbox 360 wired controller?

Any other recommendations? Cheap is the main thing here, not looking to drop more than 10 or 15 quid.

Ta!

Easysmx controllers are good, I got one, it's a Xbox 360 clone. No problems with the wireless and it's plug and play. I also use 360 controllers with a wireless dongle but more expensive to get both. I've used the rock candy and pdp wired ones which are both grand as well.
    Kids are always destroying the cables so I prefer the wireless :)
    Check Amazon and easysmx website, they drop very low in price. Argos sales is good for the wired controllers

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I've got 2 of these, (link to Argos) they're great. I can't wait for the Untitled Goose Game to release too :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,237 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

Shiminay wrote: »
    I've got 2 of these, (link to Argos) they're great. I can't wait for the Untitled Goose Game to release too :D

It just so happens that I am back in the market for a second controller. I was going to just get whichever wired xbox controller was being sold these days but I'll probably grab one of these instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,566 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

the extra buttons on the bottom could be handy for remapping the stick buttons

I've had a wired xbox controller for almost a decade now. Very handy as it's plug-and-play.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 539 ✭✭✭coffee to go

Thanks all. Ended up picking a wired rock candy Xbox controller in Smyths athlone for €15.

Now roll on horrible goose day!

HONK!

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭brcwatters

I hope it's ok me jumping in here - looking for recommendation for 2 lads for Christmas.

One plays Kerbal almost exclusively with just a bog standard mouse, I was wondering would a joystick or a controller be better/more craic?

Other guy is playing a lot of Team Fortress this weather - again, with a crappy mouse. Would he be better with a controller?

Or would better mouses be best?

Can't really ask too many questions at home :)

Thanks!

Both would be better with mouse imo.

Kerbal Space Program is a rocket building management sim. Using a controller would only slow you down. Imagine trying to use a controller to use windows, would take forever.

You'd be at a disadvantage with a controller in Team Fortress as everyone else is using mouse and it has more precision.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭brcwatters

Thanks - I thought the flying part of Kerbal might be better with the joystick so good to hear otherwise. I will check out some snazzier mouses then so! Thanks for the quick response :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,731 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

brcwatters wrote: »
    Thanks - I thought the flying part of Kerbal might be better with the joystick so good to hear otherwise. I will check out some snazzier mouses then so! Thanks for the quick response :)

Cooler Master MM520/530, Corsair Harpoon, Logitech G305, Steelseries Rival 110.
    All easy recommendations for budget mice.

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Cooler Master MM520/530, Corsair Harpoon, Logitech G305, Steelseries Rival 110.
    All easy recommendations for budget mice.

+1 to simple mouse designs. I was so sure you were gonna link some monstrosity like this :p

Both are 100% better with mice and keyboards - KSP will work with joysticks but only with some heavy modification I think. You'll buy a solid mouse and keyboard for the same sorta money as even something like an XBox controller.

Advertisement