Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mountain Ash hybrid

Options
  • 08-09-2019 7:24pm
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,275 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I have a couple of types of Mountain Ash in my garden and they often reseed. Sometimes I allow these to grow (if they are in a suitable place). This year one of them has produced lots of orange berries and I like the look of it.

1. Are hybrids common amongst them?
    2. Are they easy to propagate?

3. Are the seeds likely to produce similar trees?

The two that I have in my garden are in the top frames of the pic and the new one in the bottom.

490168.jpg

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭macraignil

Just planted a Sheerwater Seedling variety of mountain ash myself today so just did some reading about the tree. The Wikipedia page lists a number of varieties or cultivars and describes it as a highly variable species. It also has formed hybrids with some close relatives and some breeding efforts have been put into making cultivars that are particularly good for fruit or appearance.
    1. Sounds like hybrids are very common.
    2. Seeds pass through birds undamaged so it should be able to produce plants through self seeding and this linked page gives details on propagating.
    3. I would think that if hybrids are common then there would be no way to guarantee the seeds would produce the same tree and if this is what is required then growing from cuttings or grafting might be a better option.

I found this article interesting as well and it mentions a hybrid between the Mountain Ash and Aronia. I now have both of these in my own garden.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,275 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

macraignil wrote: »
    Just planted a Sheerwater Seedling variety of mountain ash myself today so just did some reading about the tree. The Wikipedia page lists a number of varieties or cultivars and describes it as a highly variable species. It also has formed hybrids with some close relatives and some breeding efforts have been put into making cultivars that are particularly good for fruit or appearance.
    1. Sounds like hybrids are very common.
    2. Seeds pass through birds undamaged so it should be able to produce plants through self seeding and this linked page gives details on propagating.
    3. I would think that if hybrids are common then there would be no way to guarantee the seeds would produce the same tree and if this is what is required then growing from cuttings or grafting might be a better option.

I found this article interesting as well and it mentions a hybrid between the Mountain Ash and Aronia. I now have both of these in my own garden.

Thank you so much for that concise and detailed answer. It covers my query perfectly.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Highly unlikely that seeds would hold true. You'd need to graft or plant on suckers to be sure.

Advertisement