Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying student accommodation

Options
  • 08-09-2019 11:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭

A good, bad or indifferent idea?

Was thinking about investing in a property (otherwise know as throwing the few pound onthe fire!) and wanted to get some thoughts on it.

I know there may be a recession coming so will that drive prices down enough to warrant waiting?

Location: I don’t have a preference or much of an idea where would be good so any input on that is welcome. Having said that it will likely go to the daughter when we’re gone so there’s that.

Budget: 2-300k euro, might stretch to 350 if it was a great deal.

Funding: Cash.

It doesn’t actually have to be student accommodation, office space, industrial, a car park even.

Any input is much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

I would wait for the crash and buy low.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,191 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Is there any incentives to invest in student accommodation. I've no idea where the kids are going to end up i'd assume Dublin or Cork. Wouldn't mind being 12/13yrs into a student property if it could wash it's own face in the meantime.
    This idea of waiting for a crash i'm not buying into as certain places will always be in demand. They may swing a few % but you won't pick them up for buttons and on a long enough time line the trend in prices is up.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Is there any incentives to invest in student accommodation. I've no idea where the kids are going to end up i'd assume Dublin or Cork. Wouldn't mind being 12/13yrs into a student property if it could wash it's own face in the meantime.
    This idea of waiting for a crash i'm not buying into as certain places will always be in demand. They may swing a few % but you won't pick them up for buttons and on a long enough time line the trend in prices is up.

Oh, the soft landing! I hope you're right.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

I would t stay away from student restriced properties only. For that very reason.

If you look at Dublin you could pick up one or two apts for that cash at the lower end. Or for eg bidx1 have a house in Dublin 1 AMV 250k taken over 26k I think per year

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭shenanagans

I'd go for a city property which wouldn't limit you to students only. Get a good management company if you're not in close proximity to look after it yourself. Rents are crazy in Galway city at the moment, huge student population .

for example €290k 3 bed:
    https://www.daft.ie/galway/duplexes-for-sale/galway-city/apartment-14-hynes-yard-galway-city-galway-2252784/

Similar one for rent at the moment which is in better condition €2500 p/m:
    https://www.daft.ie/galway/apartments-for-rent/galway-city/apartment-9-hynes-yard-merchants-road-galway-ci-galway-city-galway-1961194/

• Advertisement
Advertisement