Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Road fatalities

Options
  • 09-09-2019 9:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭

So more people killed on our roads this weekend. A young athlete and I read about a boy of 5 or so killed the other day too. All killed by cars.
    For such a Nanny State country, why is there no outrage over all of this? It just seems to be accepted that a few people will die in cars every week.
    Is it because of a motorist lobby or something?
    Why aren't speed limits reduced further or why aren't there limiters put on cars so they can't go over the speed limit? Surely there's all kinds of tech that could stop people from speeding in different zones.
    It annoys me that the likes of eScooters and cycling get so much stick in the press over being hazardous but they never actually kill anyone, they just might annoy motorists sometimes, big deal.
    Would you like to see more restrictions on cars in order to stop the weekly body count?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

Road deaths have in fact declined significantly in the last few decades. The roads are better, the campaign against drink driving has worked.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Road deaths have in fact declined significantly in the last few decades. The roads are better, the campaign against drink driving has worked.

Yeah but there's still people dying every week, and what a horrible way to die.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Is there ever any exact cause given please? And what prosecutions etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Speed is the cause of some accident certainly, but tiredness, inattention due to phones etc, road conditions, work /life pressures all contribute so there is no solution that will eliminate it completely

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

It’s never going to be zero. Human error will see to that. Maybe self driving cars but I doubt it. Anyway you asked what the nanny state was doing, quite a lot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭farmchoice

So more people killed on our roads this weekend. A young athlete and I read about a boy of 5 or so killed the other day too. All killed by cars.
    For such a Nanny State country, why is there no outrage over all of this? It just seems to be accepted that a few people will die in cars every week.
    Is it because of a motorist lobby or something?
    Why aren't speed limits reduced further or why aren't there limiters put on cars so they can't go over the speed limit? Surely there's all kinds of tech that could stop people from speeding in different zones.
    It annoys me that the likes of eScooters and cycling get so much stick in the press over being hazardous but they never actually kill anyone, they just might annoy motorists sometimes, big deal.
    Would you like to see more restrictions on cars in order to stop the weekly body count?

every loss of life is a terrible tragedy. Unfortunatly roads are dangerous places and cars are lethal weapons and people make mistakes.

there was/is national outrage over it and that outrage has lead to a massive reduction in the number of fatalities and a sea change to driving attitudes in Ireland.
    as a society one of our greatest achievements is the manner in which we have reduced road fatalities.

40 years ago when there were a fraction of the number of cars on the roads that there are now there were over 3 times as many people being killed.

having said all that its a never ending battle to keep the numbers down. cars are safer but there are more of them, roads are better but you can go faster. we make drink driving unacceptable and mobile phones come along.

as a nation we are much better more considerate drivers then we were 20 years ago. it might not always seem like that when you come across some idiot, but by and large it is much better than it used to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

?

With regard to eScooters, the critical mass of usage hasn't been reached yet. There are very few on the road compared to other road vehicles and there is a slow take up because of their dubious legal status. If there were more of them on the road, particularly without a well thought through legal framework to underpin their usage, then I am sure they will become more of a contributory factor in the annual statistics.

At the moment you could also say that unicycles, segways and hoverboards are safe road vehicles because they don't feature in the road death stats either.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Irish_peppa

Do people who accidentally kill people go to jail? What happens their insurance? i assume the payout to the family is in the euro 500,000 plus bracket i hear about people being killed but you never really hear much about the people who killed them in most cases:confused:

Ger Roe wrote: »
    With regard to eScooters, the critical mass of usage hasn't been reached yet. There are very few on the road compared to other road vehicles and there is a slow take up because of their dubious legal status. If there were more of them on the road, particularly without a well thought through legal framework to underpin their usage, then I am sure they will become more of a contributory factor in the annual statistics.

At the moment you could also say that unicycles, segways and hoverbaords are safe road vehicles because they don't feature in the road death stats either.

Well there are so many cyclists in Dublin now, it's like being in a peleton at rush hour sometimes. Yet I can't remember the last time a cyclist was killed here. They are relatively very safe compared to cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Huge advances in active and passive vehicle safety have been as important as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

farmchoice wrote: »
    every loss of life is a terrible tragedy. Unfortunatly roads are dangerous places and cars are lethal weapons and people make mistakes.

there was/is national outrage over it and that outrage has lead to a massive reduction in the number of fatalities and a sea change to driving attitudes in Ireland.
    as a society one of our greatest achievements is the manner in which we have reduced road fatalities.

40 years ago when there were a fraction of the number of cars on the roads that there are now there were over 3 times as many people being killed.

having said all that its a never ending battle to keep the numbers down. cars are safer but there are more of them, roads are better but you can go faster. we make drink driving unacceptable and mobile phones come along.

as a nation we are much better more considerate drivers then we were 20 years ago. it might not always seem like that when you come across some idiot, but by and large it is much better than it used to be.

There is never any room for complacency? Each death devastates a family.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,565 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

It annoys me that the likes of eScooters and

Because despite popular opinion, speeding (i.e. driving over the posted limit) is very rarely the primary cause of fatal accidents - the data available suggest about 5%. The number one cause of fatalities? One car driving on the wrong side of the road. Yet speeding gets all the attention because it's an easy target - easy to measure, easy to enforce, easy to whine about. The things that are actually the root cause of most accidents (poor driver training, zero enforcement of most road rules) are difficult to tackle so are just ignored in favour of the lazy option.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Irish_peppa

is there any insurance company who will give you a discount to have a speed limiter fitted or a tracking device to monitor your driving. If i was getting a decent discount say 20% i would be happy to have it done.

is there any insurance company who will give you a discount to have a speed limiter fitted or a tracking device to monitor your driving. If i was getting a decent discount say 20% i would be happy to have it done.

Doubt it. The funny thing is you have to have speed restrictors on certain motorbikes when you're starting out but they don't do it with cars.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭Fan of Netflix

Road fatalities are monitored and taken very seriously in this country. The amount of Gardai money and time spent on traffic is huge. Massive media coverage. New legislation regularly.

Suicide is a bigger killer in Ireland. Far less coverage. No proper monitoring of suicide rates. Poorly funded. No overall plan to reduce suicide. In fact no investigation of why it is so high.

I'd happily pay 20% or more extra not to have one fitted. stupid devices.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,889 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

<snip>
    Why aren't speed limits reduced further or why aren't there limiters put on cars so they can't go over the speed limit? Surely there's all kinds of tech that could stop people from speeding in different zones. <snip>
    The EU (who allegedly do nothing good for us if you ask pro-brexit, or just generally cantankerous people who are looking for a scapegoat for all of lifes ills) has a raft of new regulations for all new cars and trucks in the pipeline including introduction of adaptave speed limiters in cars (the limit changes depending on where you are), automated braking systems for pedestrians, preparations to enable all cars to be fitted with an alcohol breath tester locking system, blind spot detection systems for trucks and a whole lot of other stuff.
    https://www.consilium.europa.eu/en/press/press-releases/2019/03/29/eu-beefs-up-requirements-for-car-safety/

The "eCall" system which contacts the emergency services if you have a crash with the exact loction of the accident is already compulsorary for all new cars .

The speed limit thing seems a bit radical but one side benefit will be that you will soon not be able to pick up a speeding ticket !

• Registered Users Posts: 12,813 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Take a look at the Twitter thread from the guards over on the motors forum and you'll see why some of the deaths are occurring.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

There was a young man killed about 2 miles from here last week. Roughly 5 mins before the crash, I could hear a motorbike racing down the road which is 300m or so from the house. Ten mins after that i heard sirens & just knew it was the same person.
    Passed out a car at speed & hit a schoolbus.

Motorbikes aren't all that common in this area (stone age Leitrim :pac:) and it's the second time I've heard a bike doing stupid speeds and the rider has been in a fatal crash afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,260 ✭✭✭ongarite

bear1 wrote: »
    Take a look at the Twitter thread from the guards over on the motors forum and you'll see why some of the deaths are occurring.

True, true.
    The majority of the drivers that the Gardai now pull over for an offence are testing positive for drugs. Its insane.

If you think how small a percentage of the drivers that are pulled over each day, then there must be thousands of people driving cars/buses/trucks who are high on drugs/drunk.

Not to mention, cars pulled over for being un-roadworthy or disqualified drivers.

https://twitter.com/GardaTraffic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,813 ✭✭✭✭bear1

ongarite wrote: »
    True, true.
    The majority of the drivers that the Gardai now pull over for an offence are testing positive for drugs. Its insane.

If you think how small a percentage of the drivers that are pulled over each day, then there must be thousands of people driving cars/buses/trucks who are high on drugs/drunk.

Not to mention, cars pulled over for being un-roadworthy or disqualified drivers.

https://twitter.com/GardaTraffic

It's crazy.
    There's one tweet where some lad was celebrating his birthday and crashed on his way after testing positive.
    Complete twat and luckily didn't hurt anyone.
    No wonder insurance here is a nightmare.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,178 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Doubt it. The funny thing is you have to have speed restrictors on certain motorbikes when you're starting out but they don't do it with cars.

This is not true. Category A1 and A2 motorcycles have restrictions on power output, power-to-weight ratio and, in the case of A1, an engine displacement limit of 125 cc. There is no speed restriction per se.

There was a young man killed about 2 miles from here last week. Roughly 5 mins before the crash, I could hear a motorbike racing down the road which is 300m or so from the house. Ten mins after that i heard sirens & just knew it was the same person.
    Passed out a car at speed & hit a schoolbus.

Motorbikes aren't all that common in this area (stone age Leitrim :pac:) and it's the second time I've heard a bike doing stupid speeds and the rider has been in a fatal crash afterwards.

The unfortunate truth of the matter is, it's very, very difficult to save a clueless young renegade like that from him or herself.

there is a company called boxymo doing it, although they are geared more towards young drivers.
    the whole idea has been around for a while and a few companies have tried it but it never really took off until now.
    its called telematics and a lot of companies are now seriously looking into it. it is already being rolled out extensively by insurers who deal with haulage companies.

i'm in the motor insurance business and personally id have huge reservations about it. not the technology or anything but what the insurance companies do with it.
    it would give the companies access to a lot of information about the driver that they could use against them if it suited them and god knows if there are a disreputable bunch of pricks in this country its insurance companies.

as someone who deals with a hell of a lot of of them every day i can assure you they are capable of almost anything. they are to a large degree run by a mixture of spivs and greedy idiots.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,385 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

For such a Nanny State country, why is there no outrage over all of this? ...

I can’t figure out whether you’re calling for more nanny state or you’re opposed to nanny state.

Just for clarity, Which is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Significantly. In the ‘90s it was a few times a week, every week. The steady decline is staggering when you see the statistics on paper.

I can’t figure out whether you’re calling for more nanny state or you’re opposed to nanny state.

Just for clarity, Which is it?

Hardly "Nanny State" either - I've been stopped at a checkpoint precisely once in several years, about six months ago a fresh-faced young Garda had a quick butcher's at my windscreen and waved me on. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

You get a discount for installing a dash cam. Reckon plenty of people with that won't record themselves speeding.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,663 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

The roads are safer now than at any time in the last 20 years, at one point we had 600 odd deaths a year and now its down to about 150. One area that needs to be tackled is people not wearing their seat belts, incredibly something like 25% of last years fatalities on the roads were because drivers/passengers were not wearing seat belts. Some of them were children. Thats almost 40 people killed last year because they didn't belt up, in this day and age not doing so is just plain stupid IMO. Not ensuring kids are belted up is even worse, its pure recklessness.

• Advertisement

Muahahaha wrote: »
    The roads are safer now than at any time in the last 20 years, at one point we had 600 odd deaths a year and now its down to about 150. One area that needs to be tackled is people not wearing their seat belts, incredibly something like 25% of last years fatalities on the roads were because drivers/passengers were not wearing seat belts. Some of them were children. Thats almost 40 people killed last year because they didn't belt up, in this day and age not doing so is just plain stupid IMO. Not ensuring kids are belted up is even worse, its pure recklessness.

im in my mid 40's have have been driving since i was 17, to me putting on my seat belt was as automatic as putting the key in the ignition and yet unbelievably i have recently on more then one occasion found myself driving along without my seat belt on, i got quite a shock,i now have to actively check i have it on before i drive off.

Advertisement