Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Road fatalities

Options

Comments

Muahahaha wrote: »
    The roads are safer now than at any time in the last 20 years, at one point we had 600 odd deaths a year and now its down to about 150. One area that needs to be tackled is people not wearing their seat belts, incredibly something like 25% of last years fatalities on the roads were because drivers/passengers were not wearing seat belts. Some of them were children. Thats almost 40 people killed last year because they didn't belt up, in this day and age not doing so is just plain stupid IMO. Not ensuring kids are belted up is even worse, its pure recklessness.

but surely the constant beeping from NOT having your seatbelt on would drive you mad? Can you disable that...…….and why would you? Surely its easier to put on your belt than disable the mechanism that beeps?

Most cars have that alarm, cant remember how far that goes back but my 09 car from a few years back (since sold) had that . Beggars belief people still drive without seatbelts :mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

farmchoice wrote: »
    im in my mid 40's have have been driving since i was 17, to me putting on my seat belt was as automatic as putting the key in the ignition and yet unbelievably i have recently on more then one occasion found myself driving along without my seat belt on, i got quite a shock,i now have to actively check i have it on before i drive off.

Same here with seatbelts. Plus cars go nuts nowadays with headwrecking noises if you don't put it on.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Tornaxx

Beggars belief people still drive without seatbelts :mad::mad:
    But if you drop your phone or a burger while driving, it'easier to pick it up if you don't have your seatbelt on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭farmchoice

Same here with seatbelts. Plus cars go nuts nowadays with headwrecking noises if you don't put it on.

now that i think about it that might be the problem. in the ''good car'' (wife's car) there is the mental beeper so if i forget i am quickly reminded but in the ''old'' car (my car) there is no buzzer so i seem to have subconsciously abandoned good practice after 20 year to instead rely on technology and then when that technology is not there i am caught out.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭RickBlaine

Last week on a motorway, I saw someone with a crossword up against the steering wheel and the driver filling it in. All while doing 100kph.

There will always be complete idiots on the road but what concerns me the most if that using mobile phones to text while driving doesn't seem to concern most drivers. I could almost forgive drivers using them on straight stretches of road but I often see them being used while turning at junctions, on a roundabout, etc. Like drink driving, that attitude needs to change by the general public.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,545 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

jimgoose wrote: »
    The unfortunate truth of the matter is, it's very, very difficult to save a clueless young renegade like that from him or herself.

Are we judging inquests here now on boards? Very bad form discussing the specifics of an individual case, and acting as judge and jury on what might have happened. Think of this lads friends and family, who might stumble onto the High moral ground where some posters reside.

RIP to that young lad, and to all who have lost their lives on our roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Mod

Apart from it being the norm not to discuss any ongoing cases; its crass as flip to discuss recent tragedies like some have in this thread.

Unlike tragedies that happen the other side of the world, its very likely a family member or friend of the deceased will read those insensitive words. Bear this in mind when posting again. Cards and/or bans will follow otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

So it's bad form to say someone was driving recklessly before crashing? It's just the truth. I'm fed up of people speeding on roads around here, there's too many bad roads and bends to allow for it yet it continues.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Road fatalities are monitored and taken very seriously in this country. The amount of Gardai money and time spent on traffic is huge. Massive media coverage. New legislation regularly.

Suicide is a bigger killer in Ireland. Far less coverage. No proper monitoring of suicide rates. Poorly funded. No overall plan to reduce suicide. In fact no investigation of why it is so high.

That is a complete non sequitur. And irrelevant to the discussion. Comparing a public offence with a private distress.

So it's bad form to say someone was driving recklessly before crashing? It's just the truth. I'm fed up of people speeding on roads around here, there's too many bad roads and bends to allow for it yet it continues.

Quit it please. Last warning.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭Fan of Netflix

Graces7 wrote: »
    That is a complete non sequitur. And irrelevant to the discussion. Comparing a public offence with a private distress.
    They are two of the biggest killers in this country. Given OP stated there is no outrage and discussion, it is a fair comparison. I'm not sure what your point is.

but surely the constant beeping from NOT having your seatbelt on would drive you mad? Can you disable that...…….and why would you? Surely its easier to put on your belt than disable the mechanism that beeps?

Most cars have that alarm, cant remember how far that goes back but my 09 car from a few years back (since sold) had that . Beggars belief people still drive without seatbelts :mad::mad:

I have to admit that since the seatbelt sensor stopped working on my car I have found myself making a lot of short journeys without bothering with the seat belt especially ones where I’m popping to two or three places in a short space of time. It’s laziness and probably similar for most.

I have to admit that since the seatbelt sensor stopped working on my car I have found myself making a lot of short journeys without bothering with the seat belt especially ones where I’m popping to two or three places in a short space of time. It’s laziness and probably similar for most.

Its people like you in rural Ireland that seem to be the most prone to accidents, be careful.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,936 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

I think so much has been done to raise awareness about road safety. I remember 20 years ago when the seatbelt add was first run with I think Samantha Mumba singing body to body in background how shocked everyone was at the time. Then another add followed with the teenagers kissing on the wall. They were very hard hitting and I think they worked well.

I was the target age group at the time and I remember some of the young bucks stating they changed some of their behaviours.

However still 20 years on people are still not wearing their seatbelt. I've also seen a woman holding her baby in her arms while in the backseat of a car. You can only bring some people so far and then Darwin will take over.

There will always be accidents. However it's in your power as a driver to take necessary precautions. keep your car road worthy, put quality tyres on your wheels they are your only contact to the road. Wear a seatbelt, don't drink or use drugs before driving, put your phone away, watch your speed and drive in a manner suitable to conditions.

After that just hope your not unfortunate enough to meet some selfish pr1ck who thinks they are above all that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

So more people killed on our roads this weekend. A young athlete and I read about a boy of 5 or so killed the other day too. All killed by cars.
    For such a Nanny State country, why is there no outrage over all of this? It just seems to be accepted that a few people will die in cars every week.
    Is it because of a motorist lobby or something?
    Why aren't speed limits reduced further or why aren't there limiters put on cars so they can't go over the speed limit? Surely there's all kinds of tech that could stop people from speeding in different zones.
    It annoys me that the likes of eScooters and cycling get so much stick in the press over being hazardous but they never actually kill anyone, they just might annoy motorists sometimes, big deal.
    Would you like to see more restrictions on cars in order to stop the weekly body count?
    How is Ireland a nanny state? It's a soundbite but doesn't really stand up to scrutiny (well restricted hours for off licences but that seems to be more for protection of pubs).

How would people show their outrage? Should there be protests? If so have you set one up?

There are huge campaigns for safer driving - even a dedicated body (which people who love the word "quango" keep whinging about).

But (besides genuine accidents) selfish idiot drivers who think they are infallible? These are the problem, and nobody else can be held responsible for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Bigbagofcans

I don't get that. It takes a second to put on your seatbelt. Also, people who are too lazy to indicate. Are they the same ones too lazy to put on their seatbelt?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,397 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Do people who accidentally kill people go to jail? What happens their insurance? i assume the payout to the family is in the euro 500,000 plus bracket i hear about people being killed but you never really hear much about the people who killed them in most cases:confused:
    No they aren't sent to jail. Recently two separate motorists admitted to no looking at the road ahead of them when the knocked down and killed a cyclist each. The man was simply not look but the women was turned around and taking a tag of her child's new toy. No prison time. Completely their fault and dangerous

Mod

Thread moved to CA/IMHO. Please be aware of the charter here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

Probably not though, even if you'd like it to be. And yeah that's an abnormal level of laziness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

On short journeys in the driver’s own stomping grounds (where most short car journeys happen) is where I’d be most careful to wear a seatbelt as it’s on familiar turf that driver complacency can kick in.

And, yes, it’s really lazy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Well there are so many cyclists in Dublin now, it's like being in a peleton at rush hour sometimes. Yet I can't remember the last time a cyclist was killed here. They are relatively very safe compared to cars.

Take that up on the cycling forums, doubt you'll find many to agree with you. If you want to survive on the roads of Ireland or anywhere, as a pedestrian, cyclist or motorist then you need a defensive mentality. Anticipate what may happen etc. and avoid regardless of rights and wrongs, rules of the road etc. And even then you could be wiped out by someone else being stupid.

But there are many ways to die and statistically I suspect that if you could measure the total number of miles driven every year, the number of people carried in cars and other vehicles on those journeys and then took road fatalities amongst those people, you'd find the odds are pretty low overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

So more people killed on our roads this weekend. A young athlete and I read about a boy of 5 or so killed the other day too. All killed by cars.
    For such a Nanny State country, why is there no outrage over all of this? It just seems to be accepted that a few people will die in cars every week.
    Is it because of a motorist lobby or something?
    Why aren't speed limits reduced further or why aren't there limiters put on cars so they can't go over the speed limit? Surely there's all kinds of tech that could stop people from speeding in different zones.
    It annoys me that the likes of eScooters and cycling get so much stick in the press over being hazardous but they never actually kill anyone, they just might annoy motorists sometimes, big deal.
    Would you like to see more restrictions on cars in order to stop the weekly body count?

Ah FFS.
    I am surprised you haven't blamed one off housing, farmers or even cattle at this stage.
    You would swear it was mass slaughter on our roads.

Yes it is still unfortunate that there are fatalities, but looking at the decrease in deaths versus the huge increase in road traffic over the last couple of decades it is the very opposite to the picture you paint.
    Road fatalities are monitored and taken very seriously in this country. The amount of Gardai money and time spent on traffic is huge. Massive media coverage. New legislation regularly.

Suicide is a bigger killer in Ireland. Far less coverage. No proper monitoring of suicide rates. Poorly funded. No overall plan to reduce suicide. In fact no investigation of why it is so high.

I could be very cynical and claim the state doesn't make any money out of preventing suicide unlike the wads of cash they can make out of motorists.
    Most speed traps are sited purely for revenue purposes.
    One of the best ways of slowing traffic is to have highly visible patrol cars and motorbike cops out on patrol on dangerous roads, not guys hiding in hedges, bus stops, phone boxes, farm gates, etc on straight sections of roads.

Also if the state were to do something serious about suicide prevention and mental health services it would actually cost them a lot.
    Hence they pay lip service to it.

I am not allowed discuss …

Oh yes jmayo one off housing is probably a factor as it leads to drink driving and over reliance on cars in rural Ireland, you're right!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

There has been a dramatic reduction in road accident fatalities in recent years. There are a number of reasons for this:
    - motorways are much safer than the the old trunk roads.
    - cars have many more safety features.
    - drink driving is now a very minor cause of accidents.
    - the NCT has removed dangerously defective vehicles from the roads.
    - enforcement of traffic laws has improved.

However, there will always be accidents because people, being human, make mistakes. As long as people are allowed to drive vehicles there will be, unfortunately, some who are less competent or less attentive or more reckless than others. It's part of the human condition. There will always be freak events as well.
    We have to live with the fact that we cannot eliminate accidents and fatalities altogether. It's just a question of keeping the number as low as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,082 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Many of those single-occupant car going into a wall late at night crashes are probably in fact suicides.

© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Personal responsibility has a lot to do with fatalities or lack thereof......

Anyone texting, watching videos, using social media etc should be fined a minimum of €1,000 and if caught again 3 month ban and so on....

Younger drivers should be restricted to the amount they can carry and also have units fitted to restrict speed for a year and be reviewed again after this.

Ramps need to be done away with as they don't stop speeders but enforcement will.

Technology has got so good now I can't see a reason not to have the likes of a unit that can tell if a driver's eyes have closed for too long at motorway speeds as tiredness is the silent killer.

Country roads with blind bends and trees and hedges right out to the tarmac should be cut back and lowered on bends.

There are plenty of roads where speed limits are way too low and some that are way too high....

Dublin city is a nightmare to drive through now at 30km/h as cyclists are faster and pedestrians step out more then they ever did before this.

Cars are much safer and have so much safety equipment that has a huge reason for lower deaths.

Unfortunately people still drink and drive but then there are those that walk or cycle drunk especially on unlit roads in black clothing and that's a cause of some deaths too.

Unfortunately we will never be at zero but if you want an argument op then money could be better spent on suicide prevention.

Much more multiples die at suicide the road deaths.

I agree with most of the above but cars are still speeding all around dub city centre. Pedestrians and cyclists should be prioritised in cities.

Many of those single-occupant car going into a wall late at night crashes are probably in fact suicides.

I was going to say the same but thought I might get in trouble.

Freak weather conditions will also happen. My most vivid one was hitting fog along the M7 it was about 2 am and I could see absolutely nothing.

A truck overtook me and I thought happy days I'll drive behind his lights....couldn't keep up.

Another car overtook me tried to follow their speed again couldn't.

I played with the idea of pulling over but jesus I'd be a sitting duck. I'd say I was doing about 50km an hr if even and I was Sh1tting myself. Knew I had to keep on moving fog lights were on hoping anyone behind me would see me and overtake etc etc.

I have never been so happy to see the Naas ball as the fog was behind me.

I was lucky as the road was quiet, I still wonder how the cars overtaking me were able to see and drive much faster than me in those conditions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭GoneHome

I have to agree here, I live on a very rural country road, there's an absolute suicide jockey of a motor cyclist has been passing my house at speed every week day evening for the past month or so, it is shear and utter lunacy the speed he is doing on a narrow country lane, god forbidden if he meets an oncoming vehicle.

Advertisement