Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

is this honey fungus?

Options
  • 09-09-2019 12:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭

is it honey fungus?

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,826 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Looks like it, but past its best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

I pulled out a dead apple tree near that stump. It had white stuff under its bark so I guess it was killed by the fungus.

A pretty tall willow is near it. I guess its days are numbered. Could the tree fall as a result of the infection? It is exposed to wind and there is a shed beside it in the neighbour's garden.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,826 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Not that I know of, at least not until the tree is dead and rotting.

You could try and lift some of the soil around the dead tree and the willow to see if you can pull up any of the rhizomorphs, but it won't be easy to get rid of the lot. Plus, the spores would have spread, at this stage, so containing it will be difficult.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

I've been pulling rhizomes out of the area around the willow tree which was overrun with nettles, brambles and ivy. Not aware of pulling up anything else except the occasional accidental bit of tree root. Plan to cover the area with weedproof membrane and then mulch to try to prevent the nettles taking over again. Honey fungus coming into the mix is new to me. The apple tree and the willow tree both look ok so far. The dead apple tree I pulled up was at the edge of the said area but I haven't seen anything like the black webby rhizomes I see online for honey fungus. There was a lot of old branches and mulch in the area before I cleared it.

• Advertisement

The spores are air-borne, so even if the area was clear they could've been carried by the wind. They don't spread only by rhizomorphs, if I'm not mistaken. They could have been carried in with the mulch, too, if it was sourced from an area where the fungus was present.

This may be of help: https://www.apsnet.org/edcenter/disandpath/fungalbasidio/pdlessons/Pages/Armillaria.aspx

Advertisement