Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Current affairs in Sweden

Options

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,552 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Oh shut up

Don't be telling other posters what to do. If you have a problem with a post or poster report it and leave the mods to deal with it

Any questions PM me

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Ireland's national debt was about $50 billion just before banking crisis
    Let me explain where I am coming from. I think certain things are too important to be left to the public sector. Water works, healthcare, rescue services and such are examples of these things which are just too important not to privatize. I would fully support the government if it wanted to monopolize unimportant things like the sale of alcohol, tobacco products, gambling and cocaine.

We see the chaos in the US re private only healthcare where millions are uninsured and people have to sell their house to pay for simple enough procedures.

Private water and rescue services only would be a disaster. Likely vast areas of the country would be left without because they don't or can't pay. You would turn large parts of major cities into something out of dystopian sci-fi movies.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,584 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Let me explain where I am coming from. I think certain things are too important to be left to the public sector. Water works, healthcare, rescue services and such are examples of these things which are just too important not to privatize. I would fully support the government if it wanted to monopolize unimportant things like the sale of alcohol, tobacco products, gambling and cocaine.

So you want a system that makes sure you have insurance before treating you? Keep.a spare €200 tucked away for the ambulance to ensure you actually get to hospital:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭realitykeeper

...and theres little or no evidence to support that austerity actually truly has any positive effects in society, anywhere on this planet, but plenty of evidence to support, its a train wreck of an idea

It was the austerity and cutbacks of the late eighties that stimulated the economy, brought unemployment down from 18%, ended a recession and mass annual emigration and gave us the celtic tiger.

I think I know where you might be confused, you are thinking of consumer led economic growth which I would consider a terrible idea. Export led economic growth is what really drives an economy forward.

unimportant, highly addictive substances and activities!!!!

People may want addictive things but irrespective of cravings, they don`t need them. So yes, unimportant.

• Advertisement

Beasty wrote: »
    Don't be telling other posters what to do. If you have a problem with a post or poster report it and leave the mods to deal with it

I agree Beasty. Some people!!!

rossie1977 wrote: »
    Ireland's national debt was about $50 billion just before banking crisis.

... and now its more than 200 billion. The taxpayer was taxed a lot of money to pay for a state run financial regulator that failed to regulate. The state made the incompetent decision to bail out the banks and worse, they did it with borrowed money.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,555 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

It was the austerity and cutbacks of the late eighties that stimulated the economy, brought unemployment down from 18%, ended a recession and mass annual emigration and gave us the celtic tiger.

I disagree of course, when the neoliberal/neoclassical ideology truly took hold in the 80's/90's, globally, the world economy took off, resulting in the tiger, and sure we all know what happened next.

I think I know where you might be confused, you are thinking of consumer led economic growth which I would consider a terrible idea. Export led economic growth is what really drives an economy forward.

No I'm not all that confused, export to who, with a global slow down looking inevitable, and the fact we ve moved more towards a service economy?
    People may want addictive things but irrespective of cravings, they don`t need them. So yes, unimportant.

Please research addiction problems, you clearly don't have much knowledge here either, just a dreadful judgemental approach
    ... and now its more than 200 billion. The taxpayer was taxed a lot of money to pay for a state run financial regulator that failed to regulate. The state made the incompetent decision to bail out the banks and worse, they did it with borrowed money.

Again, another fine element of your beloved neoliberal/neoclassical ideology, 'light touch', I do suspect, if the bailouts didn't occur, we d probably be dealing with far more serious problems, possible a world war, who knows

I disagree of course, when the neoliberal/neoclassical ideology truly took hold in the 80's/90's, globally, the world economy took off, resulting in the tiger, and sure we all know what happened next.

The Celtic tiger was really two boom periods in rappid succession. The first part was real and export led and later there was the artificial stimulus era for which Bertie is to blame.

No I'm not all that confused, export to who, with a global slow down looking inevitable, and the fact we ve moved more towards a service economy?

All recessions mean fewer buyers and that is to a certain extent beyond our control but by becoming a low pay economy, we can compete. Things that were uneconomical to produce become economical and if nothing else it ensures a degree of self sufficiency which is needed during recessions. It also means employment opportunities, by contrast there will be no such employment opportunities if labour costs are kept high. As for a service economy, that cannot happen in credit crunch conditions as the velocity of money around the economy slows. The solution is low labour costs, I mean people can always work even if nobody will employ them. Its simple, find something to do and do it. By using ones brain, one will derive benefit as a result.

Please research addiction problems, you clearly don't have much knowledge here either, just a dreadful judgemental approach

My research tells me that people who have a vested interest in the government employing and spending money on counselling and the like invariably bleat on about such things. I understand cold turkey also works and it requires no more skill than slamming a door and turning a key.

Again, another fine element of your beloved neoliberal/neoclassical ideology, 'light touch', I do suspect, if the bailouts didn't occur, we d probably be dealing with far more serious problems, possible a world war, who knows

The world war you want to avoid is now practically inevitable because we did not take the bitter medicine before it was too late. Yesterday when Mario Draghi put questions to the journalists, one of them made the observation that the markets see ECB policy as QE infinity. So QE has failed to do what it was intended to do (as I predicted so many times before) and the consequences will be much worse than if the tough decisions had been made a decade ago.

The world war you want to avoid is now practically inevitable because we did not take the bitter medicine before it was too late.

This is surely correct, and not a ludicrous falsehood. I have the bomb shelter reinforced. Room for one more. Make sure you bring Barry's, as Lyons will lead to expulsion.

• Advertisement

This is surely correct, and not a ludicrous falsehood. I have the bomb shelter reinforced. Room for one more. Make sure you bring Barry's, as Lyons will lead to expulsion.

He's gone from wrongly predicting recession/Depression to now predicting WW3 :ROLLEYES:

Thanks but I`d rather take my chances with the nuclear fallout.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,124 ✭✭✭Odhinn

Thanks but I`d rather take my chances with the nuclear fallout.

Safer than being in a confined space with a barrys drinker. Probably reads the examiner as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

https://www.government.se/government-policy/a-feminist-government/
    Sweden officially claim to have the first feminist government in the world.

Sweden government visits Iran, look at their happy feminist faces under the hijabs
    gobierno_suecia_iran_999.jpg

International new outlet
    Fury as feminist Swedish minister wears HIJAB as she 'bows down to oppressive' Iran https://www.express.co.uk/news/world/766744/Swedish-minister-Ann-Linde-feminist-hijab-Iran-oppressive

Merkel visits Saudi Arabia, a country even more anti-women than Iran. Does not wear scarf.

Saudi-Arabia-Angela-Merkel-827122.jpg

Merkel is more feminist than Sweden.

Sweden delivers again:

Sweden: Nigerian migrant rapper with 280,000 YouTube subs urges blacks to shoot, enslave, and kill white people

https://theliberal.ie/nigerian-rapper-in-sweden-tells-followers-to-attack-and-kill-white-people-in-racist-rant/

• Registered Users Posts: 23,747 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

biko wrote: »
    Sweden delivers again:

Sweden: Nigerian migrant rapper with 280,000 YouTube subs urges blacks to shoot, enslave, and kill white people

https://theliberal.ie/nigerian-rapper-in-sweden-tells-followers-to-attack-and-kill-white-people-in-racist-rant/

Given how much Sweden upsets you have you considered not looking it up each day? Save yourself the trauma.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 328 ✭✭HailSatan

pjohnson wrote: »
    Given how much Sweden upsets you have you considered not looking it up each day? Save yourself the trauma.

Warning for back seat moderation!

Edit. Just a joke. I'm not a mod. Or even saying pjohnson shouldn't have posted what he posted. I'd like to offer a heartfelt and sincere apology to all those I've offended and from here on out I will explicitly tag jokes and sarcasm as required by the Boards.ie old brigade.

HailSatan wrote: »
    Warning for back seat moderation!

The irony :rolleyes:

Galway is a fairly boring place to be fair, gives them something to do with their time.

The irony :rolleyes:

How do you mean?

• Advertisement

How do you mean?

What you did is considered backseat moderation

What you did is considered backseat moderation

Is it? Have you been chatting to somebody?

Is it? Have you been chatting to somebody?

Nope, i have been here long enough though.

Nope, i have been here long enough though.

You have indeed.

Where is the definition of back seat nodding?

Are we required to explicitly tag sarcasm and jokes here? If so could you link me to the SOP please.

You mean - "If you don't like the way things are going, maybe you just shouldn't think about it?"

3 years ago this was written:
    Why does Sweden have more boys than girls?

There is something odd going on with the ratio between boys and girls in Sweden. The latest estimates suggest there are 123 boys for every 100 girls among 16 and 17-year-olds. That's an even greater imbalance than in the same age group in China.

https://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-35444173

Since less than 10 years Sweden have started loving explosions and hand grenades.

Detonated hand grenades in Sweden
    18b2971644a038e5a4185748470e7018a30d4c4f.png

The grenades are exclusively from the Yugoslav Wars
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M75_hand_grenade
    A shipment of leftover grenades of this type (and the M-93) from the Yugoslav Wars was taken to Sweden and sold for as little as 20 kronor to organised criminals and street gangs, who have been using them in numerous attacks since 2008

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_grenade_attacks_in_Sweden
    According to Swedish police the use of hand grenades in crime is unprecedented in all comparable European and non-European countries, and the only countries with similar characteristics are those with warlike conditions, such as Mexico with the ongoing drug war

So Sweden invited Rick Fuentes, earlier police chief for New Jersey State Police
    He has never seen the level of violence before.
    https://www.expressen.se/nyheter/amerikanske-polischefens-oro-for-svenska-gangvaldet/
    Video i English

BBC interview with Swedish police and others about hand grenade violence and the immigrant violence

What is the link between immigration and crime in Sweden? - BBC Newsnight

Sweden today, Ireland in 20 years? Ask your progressive friends, it's up to them.

Isn't all of this fake news? We were told it was fake news.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,747 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Isn't all of this fake news? We were told it was fake news.

How dare you interupt biko's twitter-esque Sweden updates.

Advertisement