Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ms or anxiety?

• 09-09-2019 2:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

Hi all,

Im 33 years old and for the past three weeks Ive experienced numbness intermittently in my face (majority right side) and my right leg feels heavy and numb at times. This feeling took me to the ER on Thursday where I had an overnight stay to do tests.

The ECG was considered abnormal by the first doctor and normal by the second. They did, however, mention MS. I have an MRI Thursday - the first I've ever had & to be honest I'm so scared. I have been forgetful lately as well - for I'd say the past 6 months but I don't know whether that's down to stress & occasionally I see floaters in front of my eyes when I go into the light etc

I'm also thinking back to when I was 19 and went to the Er with extreme tightness across my chest - worried this is MS hug.

What symptoms did you have when diagnosed with MS? I'm hoping it's just anxiety but I'm so scared

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Be assured the scan is easy and not stressful. Just take this a day or and hour at a time. They know what they are doing and they are doing all they can to help you. Try and rest and relax as much as you can.

If you really need to talk about it, maybe google a forum dealing with MS where folk will have gone through all this and can reassure you? Just ask google for forum MS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

OP; good luck today with the scan etc...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,474 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Hi all,

Im 33 years old and for the past three weeks Ive experienced numbness intermittently in my face (majority right side) and my right leg feels heavy and numb at times. This feeling took me to the ER on Thursday where I had an overnight stay to do tests.

The ECG was considered abnormal by the first doctor and normal by the second. They did, however, mention MS. I have an MRI Thursday - the first I've ever had & to be honest I'm so scared. I have been forgetful lately as well - for I'd say the past 6 months but I don't know whether that's down to stress & occasionally I see floaters in front of my eyes when I go into the light etc

I'm also thinking back to when I was 19 and went to the Er with extreme tightness across my chest - worried this is MS hug.

What symptoms did you have when diagnosed with MS? I'm hoping it's just anxiety but I'm so scared
    Symptoms for me were weakness on my right side.
    The mri is easy , and no bother at all. It took about 2 years and a lumber puncture during a relapse for me to get diagnosed, so it's a pretty drawn out process of elimination. Good luck and try not to stress to much about it.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Hope the MRI went ok. My initial symptoms were a dragging left leg (put down originally to one too many falls off horses) and an electric shock type thing when I bent my head forward known as "Lhermitte's sign" Lots of different things can mimic MS symptoms, so sit tight for the moment, easier said than done, I know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

If it makes you feel any better, I suffer from anxiety too but am otherwise healthy and floaters and memory loss happen to me pretty often. I know its easier said than done but try to get out of your own head until you get the results, your mind will often try to convince you the worst possible outcome is certain and that type of thinking is very damaging.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭PMC83

Just wondering how you go on op? I'm going through something a little similar myself...:(

Advertisement