Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Applegreen own brand chargers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,563 ✭✭✭eagerv

I don't think so, I think it's knocked through just to the right of the old shed.

Should have taken pic, he definitely then would have appeared..😁

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Given the obvious Applegreen target market.

Then I can understand the 70 cent per kwh.

Aim of the game is use what you need to complete a journey etc.

Not everyday charging.

However at some point I'd love to see someone set out to offer cheaper prices than the other CPOs - to kick off competition.

Market conditions not there for it yet of course and unfortunately EV thinking is still in a "most people charge at home most of the time" mindset.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,048 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Generally anyone using public charging exclusively does well out of the subscription plans

For example the We Charge Plus plan give a fixed 47c/kWh for DC chargers. Doesn't work for Applegreen yet but hopefully soon

We definitely need more charging hubs in cities and towns though. Whether they should be DC hubs or kerbside AC is up for debate, but either would be better than the current situation

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭mike_2009

Is We Charge Plus available for non Volkswagen cars?

No but there is a similar deal from Elli

Scroll down to Drive Highway, seems the same but slightly higher monthly payments

There's also other charging providers, I think Bonnet was pretty popular until recently

You might get a special deal from your car manufacturer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,434 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Has anyone had an issue getting a verification code for the app? I'm with Vodafone.

Might make a pitstop on coynes cross on my way home to test the new chargers out while I grab a coffee.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭eltoastero

Same issue, tried 3 times (different cards) and it crashed each time at the last step (a €1 charge was put on my cards each time, each have since been reverted). I plan on trying again in a few days. I'm interested in trying out the Coynes Cross setup

I had issues on the weekend getting the verify text but sorted this morning.

Only two sites on the app so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭eltoastero

Can confirm that registration worked this morning. I can see someone is charging in Coynes Cross (from the app), good to see it's working - I assume it's one of ye

• Advertisement

Registration worked for me first time as well, that was a few days ago

I assume their servers got overloaded from the bunch of us registering in excitement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭cannco253

Did they take €1 off your card to register?

Presume that comes back but haven’t seen it yet.

Yeah mine was reverted a day or two later. I'm using revolut who are pretty quick at reverting transactions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,908 ✭✭✭zg3409

Most of the new chargers in ballymount are now removed as in taken away. 4 out if 6, all ccs and Chademo units. No idea why! People were working on site there on then 2 days ago

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,760 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Grid delays? and much better use for them elsewhere when installed only in pairs where grid supply is already sufficient (like Coynes Cross, Enfield etc...)

Damn, that's bad news

Maybe the units were defective or something?

Or objections from the site owner? He isn't related to that guy in Waterford by any chance?

Or maybe some lads in a van came along and nicked them for the copper? Honestly wouldn't be surprised if that became a thing 😬

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

I'd say @AndyBoBandy is closer to the truth. No point having the hardware sitting under a cover waiting for ESBN if they've given a 6-month lead time on a substation.

It is a bit too big a coincidence that one turned up in Enfield around the same time the Ballymount ones disappeared. So hopefully you're right and they're just redistributing the chargers to where they'll be put into use quicker

Are the chargers really that easy to remove? I thought the base was concreted in place

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,318 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Given its only the dual heads that were taken away, maybe there are being swapped for CCS only units!

Is there an applegreen branded unit in Enfield? Eastbound? There was construction work near the eastbound charger recently.

The chargers have concrete base which has conduit/trunking that fits a heavy cable, but relatively easy to unbolt and lift using a truck mounted crane. ESB seem to load 2+ on a truck with it's own small crane and drop them direct into place. Most chargers have lifting eyes permanently fitted on top.

Yep, @slave1 spotted a new charger in Enfield services today. It's unbranded but looks to be the same model as the Coynes Cross ones

If the chargers are that easy to move around then I'd wager @AndyBoBandy is right and they got moved elsewhere due to a delay in Ballymount

• Advertisement

I'd be surprised if they took them all away to make the site CCS only. There's enough Leafs around Dublin without home charging that it would keep the site's Chademo plugs busy

So don't do a Dublin City council is what you're saying? 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 4,563 ✭✭✭eagerv

Are the chargers really that easy to remove? I thought the base was concreted in place

I would imagine they are only bolted to the concrete base, accessible once the unit is unlocked and opened.

I bet one of them shows up in Waterford in the coming days/weeks

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

We've got a picture of the multi car hub the Waterford Applegreen is planning to install

Anyone any updates from Paulstown?

December would be a really month to get this site turned on..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 409 ✭✭munsterfan2

I was in Applegreen Lusk M1 North at the weekend and there are 4 new spaces ready to be connected up.

Applegreen rolling out a proper network of service station chargers, eCars partnering with a supermarket to rollout suburban infra that isn't AC? The worst thing is it appears the government inaction has been successful, and they were right to sit on their laurels.

This I have to see for myself, I don't think I'll be capable of believing it until I actually plug the car in and see it charging 😁

• Advertisement

Must admit, I'm going to have see that one myself. I wouldn't put it past one of those pesky AI's faking the pictures.

Not sure I agree with you on that one. There's definitely a tipping point has been reached where the profitability of EV charging is viable for service stations

But, we're only seeing Applegreen deploying chargers on routes that are guaranteed to turn a profit. Doesn't benefit someone driving from Sligo to Tralee and I suspect the market players won't touch those routes for a long time yet

There's also the open question of deploying kerbside AC chargers in cities. Or rather the total lack of deployment

IMO that is where the focus of government support should be right now. France recently announced a plan to fund DC chargers in rural petrol stations and it's something I think should be followed in spirit by our government

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,318 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Going from Sligo to Tralee you would stop at the galway plaza. If you were in a Tesla you also have a supercharger in tralee or a detour through birdhill.

There's also the open question of deploying kerbside AC chargers in cities. Or rather the total lack of deployment

IMO that is where the focus of government support should be right now. France recently announced a plan to fund DC chargers in rural petrol stations and it's something I think should be followed in spirit by our government

The economics of kerbside AC charging are questionable. The numbers given to the Dublin EV strategy team indicate after 10 years you still haven't recovered the costs. My validation of gov inaction is more tongue in cheek than praise

I'd say that points more towards failures in the strategy than poor economics. I suspect the practice of installing a single 2x22kW pillar isn't very cost effective since it's a lot of groundworks for only a couple of chargers

At let's be honest, most users of those chargers aren't good citizens and will leave the car plugged in after it's fully charged, especially when the parking is free

So you won't sell a huge number of kWh and the charger will be blocked for long periods discouraging other users

Seems that other countries can deploy AC at scale so that's why I think the strategy is flawed. I imagine if 6x7kW chargers were installed then the capex cost would be less and they'd be more profitable for the same grid costs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

Without wanting to distract too much from the Applegreen discussion on this thread - In London, I saw multiple lampost chargers deployed around the city, simple kerbside AC. It is doable, with the right attitude and plan (something our local councils do not appear interested in at the moment).

For Applegreen, I'd be very interested to see if they will finally expand the M1 Lusk stations with up to four more spaces. It's comically bad at the moment driving in and hoping that noone is already there -- although not as comically sad as Castlebellingham where there can be three cars queueing for the one ESB charger while eight Tesla stations sit mostly idle.

I expect we'll see a bigger deployment at Castlebellingham as it already has the grid infrastructure to support the Superchargers and eCars unit. If Applegreen end the leases they have a nice shiny substation ready and waiting

The annoying part is that AG could probably install chargers alongside Tesla. If they copied Ballymount that's something like 6x150kW for 900kW total?

Pretty sure the existing supercharger site is about the same size. So sharing the site is feasible with load balancing, and would benefit other cars since you wouldn't be completing with the Teslas for spaces

The superchargers rarely seem more than 50% full anyway so you'd probably only have to limit the chargers due to the grid connection a handful of times

In terms of AC pillars easygo said all underground footpath works need to be performed by esb networks and each pillar needs it's own esb meter, so on public footpaths it may be unviable due to esb networks monopoly and annual meter fees per 2 parking spaces.

• Advertisement

Lusk m1 southbound presumed applegreen branded chargers going in. Looks like room for 4 units.

4 units for 8 cars or, or 2 units for 4 cars?

So far all the Applegreen units have been capable of charging 2 cars at once so they'll probably continue with that plan

Looks like a good setup, but that close to the shop the spaces are guaranteed to be ICED all the time

Hopefully with AG using long cables you could still get the cable to reach and block any ICE cars into the space 😂

Does anyone know when the 4 new chargers at M4 Enfield westbound will be ready.

I pulled in there Tuesday evening on the way back from Dublin with enough to get to Kinnegad. 1 car was charging ccs2. The guy was at 68% and wanted to get to 80%.

The 22kw charger was cable tied to the machine. The chademo was untied but I don't think they can be used together.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,429 ✭✭✭CH3OH

Just a question

I have used the ESB fast charger at applegreen Coynes cross on a number of occassions and get a charge speed of 250 to 300 km per hour.

On Friday I used the new Applegreen charger which is labelled 180 kw

Car was at 55%

Took me over an hour to get 17kw seemed to be charging at around 120 km/ hour

I thought that it would have charged much quicker

Post edited by CH3OH on

Not my pic, not confirmed, possibly 4 pillars so 8 cars.

In terms of timelines it's probably up to esb networks to connect power to these units and in general they have waiting lists, and even longer waiting lists if a new substation needs to be built including planning permission.

• Advertisement

I'll see if I can take a look later this week. 8 cars at once would be an excellent setup, and really fix a lot of the issues coming down the M1 from NI

Between that and the new Maxol hub in Kinnegad, bringing an EV to NI is suddenly looking a lot easier

Not sure if this was shared before, but for those looking for the website instead of app.

https://driver.applegreenelectric.com/

Rathcoole bagged up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭spakman

And that's separate to a bigger charging station and cafe they have planned for unused ground on the same site.

Was there a planning application lodged for that a few months ago? I'm sure a remember something for that site

• Advertisement
Advertisement