Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stairs for attic conversion only - cost?

• 09-09-2019 6:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭

Looking for a ballpark figure for the cost of having a stairs fitted to allow access to an attic.
    It’s a 3 bed semi that had a 2 storey extension added, which doubled the size of the house (corner site).
    The ‘new’ attic was left as a room effectively, but is currently accessed by a stira type folding ladder.
    It is already wired, floored, well insulated underfloor and between rafters, and has a large velux window.

But, this attic is between the old, original gable wall and the new gable wall of the extension, so when extending the stairs up to give access to this attic, cutting the old gable wall will be required to create the doorway.

The old attic has the water tanks etc and no work is required re plumbing, in old or new attics.

Just looking to get the stairs and doorway in place. No actual work needed in the attic itself.

Hope this makes sense, would like to get the stairs and doorway completed, all opinions on cost welcome.

TIA.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,679 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,982 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Looking for a ballpark figure for the cost of having a stairs fitted to allow access to an attic.
    It’s a 3 bed semi that had a 2 storey extension added, which doubled the size of the house (corner site).
    The ‘new’ attic was left as a room effectively, but is currently accessed by a stira type folding ladder.
    It is already wired, floored, well insulated underfloor and between rafters, and has a large velux window.

But, this attic is between the old, original gable wall and the new gable wall of the extension, so when extending the stairs up to give access to this attic, cutting the old gable wall will be required to create the doorway.

The old attic has the water tanks etc and no work is required re plumbing, in old or new attics.

Just looking to get the stairs and doorway in place. No actual work needed in the attic itself.

Hope this makes sense, would like to get the stairs and doorway completed, all opinions on cost welcome.

TIA.

Is the floor structurally capable of taking traffic on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Scienceless

kceire wrote: »

It’s in regular use as is, been using it as a work space for some things I do in my own time, never had any reason to think the floor couldn’t take traffic. At times there would be three people there.
    It was constructed with this in mind anyway.

I can’t answer that. What type of person would I need to assess it first?
    Thanks for the link, raised some big questions especially re fire resistant floor materials.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,569 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Why would you even think it is not?

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Advertisement

Why would you even think it is not?

Why would you even think it is?

Why would you even think it is?

Because it has been floored and there is a large velux window installed.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Because it has been floored and there is a large velux window installed.

Perfect, in your case then plough ahead.
    Ive seen hundreds of attics floored over the existing 100mm joists. None of them are capable of taking traffic and loading for everyday use, especially with cutting a large ope out for a new fixed staircase.

In the OP's case, get an Engineer or somebody with experience to take a look. There's ope's to be cut in the gable wall, ope's to be cut in the floor to allow the staircase entry. Fire doors, alarm and a modified 30 minute fire resistant floor to be installed.

Also, the OP said the new floor is in the new extension between the new gable and the old gable, which means there may be significant works to both sides of the gable. Is the old attic floor structurally ok for the traffic or is it still the original joists?

Better to ask loads of questions rather then jump straight in and say, yeah its fine which is the point of your nit picking post.

Perfect, in your case then plough ahead.
    Ive seen hundreds of attics floored over the existing 100mm joists. None of them are capable of taking traffic and loading for everyday use, especially with cutting a large ope out for a new fixed staircase.

In the OP's case, get an Engineer or somebody with experience to take a look. There's ope's to be cut in the gable wall, ope's to be cut in the floor to allow the staircase entry. Fire doors, alarm and a modified 30 minute fire resistant floor to be installed.

Also, the OP said the new floor is in the new extension between the new gable and the old gable, which means there may be significant works to both sides of the gable. Is the old attic floor structurally ok for the traffic or is it still the original joists?

Better to ask loads of questions rather then jump straight in and say, yeah its fine which is the point of your nit picking post.

Really?

Did many of them have a large velux window fitted?

What are you on about with "nit picking"?

I asked you a simple question.

Really?

Yes many of them had Velux roof lights fitted, including my own 1995 built house with truss roof. 100mm members.

Not picking by posting “why would you even think it’s not” as a response to my simple question about the floor being capable of supporting the loads for everyday use. It was a simple question and the thread could have progressed from there depending on the answer.

Further reinforcement for my question was the fact that the stairs opening will be in the old ceiling joists so most likely the original joists from the main house. You then have to enter the new attic space through a new opening in the original gable wall.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Really?

Are you a structural engineer? If you’d like to share your PI insurance details by PM thanks ?

Thanks for the advice here and the heads up re fire regulations etc. Lots to think about...

Am I still bound by fire regulations if I go ahead and have the stairs and entrance door installed, but only to use the attic room as storage / work space and not as a bedroom?

Thanks for the advice here and the heads up re fire regulations etc. Lots to think about...

Am I still bound by fire regulations if I go ahead and have the stairs and entrance door installed, but only to use the attic room as storage / work space and not as a bedroom?

Yes, in my opinion.
    It’s the creation of the additional accessible storey that brings in the fire regs.

Advertisement