Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Protest Paddy Jackson playing at the weekend?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Remember the weeks and months of protests that Ruth Coppinger organised over the Nigerian Muslim convicted sex offender playing for various LOI clubs?

Oh wait, that never happened.

For reasons only the hard left can explain, a man of upper class stock acquitted of rape by a jury is more worthy of being hung drawn and quartered than an a foreign born African muslim actually convicted of an offence.

Surprised that more people haven't picked up on this.
    Accordingly to the hard left, there is a hierarchy of perpetrators.
    If you're middle / upper class then they show no mercy.

The underprivileged get a free pass even for violent crimes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Portsalon

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    SO went bust and had to get legal aid halfway through the case

He was going for legal costs because he had no money left.....he was also sacked from his job with no pay off

Thanks. A completely innocent man bankrupted - yet still the judge didn't award him his costs. Quite remarkable.

Wasn't he an outstandingly decent individual to have apologised to his accuser for the hurt that he had caused her, on the steps of the court immediately after the trial ended? Classy bloke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Portsalon

Just to clarify, you are implying that the judge somehow found them "not guilty, but not innocent" by not awarding free legal aid? Or did infer that myself

I'm simply throwing out what happened. It's up to each reader to form their own conclusion. That said, the judge's explanation is worth reading before jumping to any conclusions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

osarusan wrote: »
    This notion that a not guilty verdict means the accuser must have lied comes out every time there is a not guilty verdict in a rape trial. Every time.

The irony of you going on sarcastically about the great legal minds on boards when you don't have a clue what you are on about.

I never said I was a great legal mind. Not like the rest of the people who on here think they know what they are going on about but majority are quoting stuff that was in press or passed on via twitter.....Two excellent sources of information

Just to show how poor the knowledge is, just look above at the "wealthy" comment which is standard with this case. SO went bust, PJ wasn't far behind him. But the private school, wealthy rugby players was all the press spun.....seems the majority of these legal eagles on here are also of the same opinion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

Completely innocent my hole. "Not guilty" does not mean completely innocent.

• Advertisement

Portsalon wrote: »
    Thanks. A completely innocent man bankrupted - yet still the judge didn't award him his costs. Quite remarkable.

Wasn't he an outstandingly decent individual to have apologised to his accuser for the hurt that he had caused her, on the steps of the court immediately after the trial ended? Classy bloke.

That was a quick back track, nearly fall over?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Raconteuse wrote: »
    Being an asshole is not a crime, the group messages etc. were bad alright. But it does not entitle people to hound the man for the rest of his life.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 370 ✭✭WB Yokes

Not it means the people that heard ALL the evidence decided he wasnt guilty. Innocent until proven guilty.

So hes innocent.

so is she completely innocent?

very dangerous game imo

ha. What does it mean then? It means that he isn't guilty of rape. Do you think he might be a "little bit" guilty of rape? Is it, like most things these days, "on a spectrum" of guilt when it comes to rape?

He was found not guilty. He was found to be as guilty as you were with regards to the rape of that woman.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,656 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Maybe we should just change the status to "innocence maintained"....?

As in, they were innocent before the case and the jury found their innocence to be maintained through the trial?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

WB Yokes wrote: »
    Not it means the people that heard ALL the evidence decided he wasnt guilty. Innocent until proven guilty.

So hes innocent.

Again - the presumption of innocence begins and ends with the specific charges in the court. The verdict doesn’t make any finding of innocence. Anyone is entitled to make up their own minds as to his innocence or otherwise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

Being an asshole is not a crime, the group messages etc. were bad alright. But it does not entitle people to hound the man for the rest of his life.
    No I totally agree - I don't think he should be harassed and I think the verdict has to be accepted and respected.

I just can't stand the way it's pretended he was a poor victim who did nothing wrong and that she was just a vindictive little weapon. You don't have to be a member of the pink haired brigade (or whatever - love the way the same people who keep using that term will then object to equivalent terms like "incel") to see what's wrong with this, only a decent human.

I think she consented initially (and was an eejit for going ahead with it, and should have had more self respect) but that things got out of hand, and their attitude towards her was horrendous. She should have been more responsible for herself but so should they have been more responsible for themselves.

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Maybe we should just change the status to "innocence maintained"....?

As in, they were innocent before the case and the jury found their innocence to be maintained through the trial?

They had no presumption of innocence before the trial. No such presumption exists outside a court trial.

I don't see what private group messages brought to the case?

Apart from been crass what exactly did they prove?

alastair wrote: »
    Again - the presumption of innocence begins and ends with the specific charges in the court. The verdict doesn’t make any finding of innocence. Anyone is entitled to make up their own minds as to his innocence or otherwise.

The verdict doesn't need to find anyone innocent, because people are innocent until proven guilty.

You are entitled to make up your own mind, but the fact remains that he has been judged to be NOT GUILTY when it comes to what you are accusing him of.

Just makes you look silly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭lalababa

What did PJ do again?? According to the court?
    Worst thing people can come up with is he didn't make her a cup of tea, and see her to the door! The ba*tard ha?

ha. What does it mean then? It means that he isn't guilty of rape. Do you think he might be a "little bit" guilty of rape? Is it, like most things these days, "on a spectrum" of guilt when it comes to rape?

He was found not guilty. He was found to be as guilty as you were with regards to the rape of that woman.

Obviously there’s a spectrum of determination of guilt. The bar in this case was ‘reasonable doubt’, which exists on a spectrum. Other jurisdictions allow for a ‘not proven’ verdict to account for this spectrum.

No I totally agree - I don't think he should be harassed and I think the verdict has to be accepted and respected.

I just can't stand the way it's pretended he was a poor victim who did nothing wrong and that she was just a vindictive little weapon. You don't have to be a member of the pink haired brigade (or whatever - love the way the same people who keep using that term will then object to equivalent terms like "incel") to see what's wrong with this, only a decent human.

Sorry but who is pretending that?

When did anyone call her a vindictive little weapon?

From what I have seen it is the opposite. No matter what the guys said or done after the case they where wealthy, rugby playing scum and she was a poor angel who just went out for a drink and they jumped her....

They had no presumption of innocence before the trial. No such presumption exists outside a court trial.

You keep saying this but you're clearly wrong.

Just beside you keep repeating it doesn't actually make it happen.

We have laws to protect against slander and libel which happen "outside of a court room".....

Of course, your free to think what you want, you however do not have the freedom to broadcast slanderous material.

• Advertisement

The verdict doesn't need to find anyone innocent, because people are innocent until proven guilty.

You are entitled to make up your own mind, but the fact remains that he has been judged to be NOT GUILTY when it comes to what you are accusing him of.

Just makes you look silly.

Nobody has any presumption of innocence except for the duration of a trial, and then it’s limited to the charges leveled against them. The verdict only tells us if the legal bar of reasonable doubt regarding those charges has been met or not. There is no determination of innocence.

You keep saying this but you're clearly wrong.

Just beside you keep repeating it doesn't actually make it happen.

We have laws to protect against slander and libel which happen "outside of a court room".....

Of course, your free to think what you want, you however do not have the freedom to broadcast slanderous material.

I’m not wrong. If such a thing were the case, you’d have no difficulty in pointing to the appropriate legislation. You can’t because there is none. There is no presumption of innocence outside a courtroom. Libel and slander are determined in a courtroom.

So I can just presume that you are a paedophile and you'd be ok with me spreading that rumour about?

I mean, you have no right to have any presumption of innocence.

(For the record, I am not accusing you, just making a point)

Obviously there’s a spectrum of determination of guilt. The bar in this case was ‘reasonable doubt’, which exists on a spectrum. Other jurisdictions allow for a ‘not proven’ verdict to account for this spectrum.

So is he a little bit guilty of the rape, guilty of the rape or not guilty of the rape?

So I can just presume that you are a paedophile and you'd be ok with me spreading that rumour about?

I mean, you have no right to have any presumption of innocence.

(For the record, I am not accusing you, just making a point)

You can presume whatever you like. If I’m concerned enough about whatever you’re saying about me, based on those presumptions, I have a right to defend myself in court, but I’d need to prove that your claims were damaging and untruthful.

I’m not wrong. If such a thing were the case, you’d have no difficulty in pointing to the appropriate legislation. You can’t because there is none. There is no presumption of innocence outside a courtroom. Libel and slander are determined in a courtroom.

Read the Irish constitution for a start.

Breaches of law are determined within a court room. Acts that breach the law generally happen outside the courtroom. If what you purport actually existed there would be no slander or libel laws and people works be free to say whatever they wanted about other people.
    They aren't, therefore you're wrong.

So is he a little bit guilty of the rape, guilty of the rape or not guilty of the rape?

Personally I believe the woman, despite the evidence, as with so many rape cases, not meeting the bar of beyond reasonable doubt. But let’s not pretend that any legal determination is not on a spectrum.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,385 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

salmocab wrote: »
    Well to be fair we know that at the very least they had reasonable doubt but it could and considering how quickly they came back was likely a lot higher.

So all we know is they definitely had reasonable doubt. I’m genuinely struggling to understand the urge to exaggerate what the court said. The court wasn’t designed to answer all your questions. It was designed to determine whether there is reasonable doubt of guilt or not.

Read the Irish constitution for a start.

Breaches of law are determined within a court room. Acts that breach the law generally happen outside the courtroom. If what you purport actually existed there would be no slander or libel laws and people works be free to say whatever they wanted about other people.
    They aren't, therefore you're wrong.

Let’s see where the constitution provides for a presumption of innocence outside the context of a prosecution. I’ll wait.

• Advertisement

Let’s see where the constitution provides for a presumption of innocence outside the context of a prosecution. I’ll wait.

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/the-right-to-one-s-good-name-is-as-important-as-freedom-of-expression-1.387960

Article 40.3.2 of the Constitution says “the State shall, in particular, by its laws, protect as best it may from unjust attack (and, in the case of injustice done, vindicate) the life, person, good name and property rights of every citizen.”

There you go. You're welcome.

Advertisement