Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garmin Edge 1030 - Turn by Turn Navigation

Options
  • 09-09-2019 9:18pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Having issues with my Garmin Edge 1030.

Can't seem to get the turn by turn navigation working. Download via Strava or Garmin Connects. Load route no problem but once I set off nothing.

The Garmin Edge 1000 had no issues like this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭koutoubia

One of the lads used mine on RAI. Downloaded the whole route via ride with gps.The only time he had issues was when we were up North strangeley enough.
    Once we got back into RoI it started working perfectly.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

koutoubia wrote: »
    One of the lads used mine on RAI. Downloaded the whole route via ride with gps.The only time he had issues was when we were up North strangeley enough.
    Once we got back into RoI it started working perfectly.

turn by turn?

Yeah.
    We did a test run the week before.
    I created a route on RwGPS and we went and did it and deliberatley went off course and it worked.
    I made sure that once we cleared the North that it was working ok and he said yeah perfect!
    I will be talking to him in the next day or so.
    I also used routes downloaded while in SPain earlier this year.
    Turn by turn......

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I route stuff in Strava export it by both gpx and tcx and put in the new files folder.

It's never been an issue. Can connect it to Strava via Bluetooth too, but tend just throw them in myself

Weepsie wrote: »
    I route stuff in Strava export it by both gpx and tcx and put in the new files folder.

/QUOTE]

This.
    Actually I remember it took me a while to figure NOT to put it into routes or anywhere else but into new files folder.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Nearly sure I've done all that. I think thats the only way to see the routes. Even the routes downloaded directly from strava via bluetooth dont work. Might just reset it and start again

• Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

Pretty sure there is a setting to turn on navigation text under the courses settings, have a look in the navigation settings...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭MB Lacey

godtabh wrote: »
    Nearly sure I've done all that. I think thats the only way to see the routes. Even the routes downloaded directly from strava via bluetooth dont work. Might just reset it and start again

It's the biggest PITA when you create a route in strava and the turn by turn on the Garmin doesn't work. It's always been because of how I had saved the route from Strava to the Garmin.

Here's what works for me to get turn by turn onto my Garmin:

1. Create your route on Strava
    2. Save the route TO YOUR PC Downloads folder (doesn't seem to make a difference if it's gpx or tcx)
    3. Plug your Garmin device into your PC
    4. Go to the route in your PC Downloads and Copy
    5. Open up your Garmin folder on your PC and open the New Activities folder
    6. Paste the route copied from PC Downloads folder into the Garmin New Activities folder

The route is now on your Garmin.

7. Turn your Garmin device on
    8. Menu - Courses - Select your Course - Tap on Spanner icon
    9. Turn Guidance from Off to On, Virtual Partner Off, Off Course warnings On and Map Display - whatever you want.
    10. Enjoy the new roads and seeing the arrows to give you the heads up on whether you're turning Left or Right at the next junction.

Hope that helps.

I learnt the hard way ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Don Juan II

I do the following and it works in the Republic and in the North (and also in mainland Europe).
    1. Create the route on Strava
    2. Export it as tcx or gpx and save it on my PC
    3. Go to connect.garmin.com and import that gpx/tcx file
    4. Save the route
    5. Click "Send to device" and chose your Garmin Edge
    Next time you sync your Edge, the course will be there

Advertisement