Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Japanese Holly/ ilex crenata going yellow??

Options
  • 09-09-2019 11:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭

Hi all
    I planted this hedge in June. It seemed to thrive and grew a fair bit. I cant help but wonder about its health though. Is it meant to take on this yellow appearance? It is the Dark green variety that I supposedly purchased. The plants when planted had only dark leaves. Now some dark leaves remain but the rest including new growth looks golden yellow. They look healthy otherwise. What do ye think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭macraignil

Hi all
    I planted this hedge in June. It seemed to thrive and grew a fair bit. I cant help but wonder about its health though. Is it meant to take on this yellow appearance? It is the Dark green variety that I supposedly purchased. The plants when planted had only dark leaves. Now some dark leaves remain but the rest including new growth looks golden yellow. They look healthy otherwise. What do ye think?

Just found this article on the topic and it seems to suggest that it could be over watering or poor drainage, soil that is not acidic enough or a lack of iron in the soil. There is more detail in the article on how to check which one of these possibilities is causing the problem and how to remedy it.

Advertisement