Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lawn conversion

Options
  • 10-09-2019 5:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭

Hello all,

I'm thinking of converting a large area of my lawn approx 250m2 into an orchard/veg garden, My plan is to plant wild fruit hedging around it and then some fruit trees/bushes and an area for vegetables. (I also hate cutting grass:D)

What is the best way to get rid of the grass over the winter with the least amount of work/cheapest way?
    I've been reading about this lasagna gardening but with the amount of compost needed seems to expensive. I was thinking of just covering the area with Tarps for the winter and then just digging it once the grass is dead in the spring?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,071 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

What do you plan to walk on when there's no grass?

Weeding is even less fun than mowing.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭dto001

There will still be alot of grass I would just like to get rid of some of it for growing veg/fruit etc.

Slightly off topic but have you considered growing espalier style trees?
    then just mow up between the rows.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭dto001

I prefer hedging it holds/attracts more wildlife or at least I think it does
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 31,071 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

dto001 wrote: »
    There will still be alot of grass I would just like to get rid of some of it for growing veg/fruit etc.

OK then, just slice the turf off with a spade. If you want something to do with the turf, stack it into the perimeter of a raised bed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Measure up and mark out the space for growing stuff - apply spade and turn the sod (single digging) - pull out all perennials as you go and obviously remove rocks and stones, bicycle chains, old crockery etc (!), cover over for the winter and then break up the turned layer in early spring digging in manure as you go. Prepare for more weeds with the growing season, but they should be small and easy enough to deal with by hand and/or hoeing - or you can be a bit lazy (read clever) and apply a permeable cover (like Mypex) permanently and plant through.

I'd certainly not bother with land preparation for edible hedging or fruit trees unless the topsoil is particularly bad. Low fruit bushes are best planted through a deep mulch to retain moisture and protect from frosts.

Advertisement