Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Yashica Dental Eye 2

Options
  • 10-09-2019 8:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭

I recently saw one of these on Adverts and figured I'd give it a go. Undoubtedly niche but has anyone any experience with them? Seems simple enough, I'm going to try some simple macro photography with it, bugs and the like.

I have a weakness for odd cameras it seems :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,697 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

Hah. I bought the Dental eye 3 that he had for sale a while back. That one above is the Eye 1. The one you were making offer on on adverts is the Eye 2. Eye 3 is similar but with motorised wind. I had planned to do a series of headshots, filling the frame, nice flat expressionless lighting, plus mess around with macro and what not.

Couple of gotchas as I found out (which are of course documented, I hadn't bothered to really read up before making the offer) . Without the flash it's always F/4, with shutter priority. The screen is a straight GG, no splitscreen. With the flash it stops down as you get closer but at head shot distance it's still around the F/4 mark. There's red eye :-) No preflash or anything of the sort.

So, in short, it genuinely is an amazing camera for taking well lit and sharp pictures of people's teeth, but of limited use otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

I was wondering if I would be useful for portraits, with the ring flash being reflected in the eyes look. Hadn't even considered red eye. Mainly I want to see how it works for low budget macro stuff. She's a hefty beast though.

Did you buy the one you were putting offers on ? If you want to make your way down to the IFSC some lunchtime I can give you a lend of the one I bought, you can put a roll through it, see if it's for you. Alternative is putting it back up on adverts or Ebay.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Thanks for the offer! Impulse took over so I bought the Adverts one. Have about half a roll through it right now, looking forward to see the results. She's heavy and tricky to hold still though. The lack of a tripod mount is surprising.

the one I got has a tripod mount, but again I don't think it was really meant for tripod use, just focusing as close as possible to someone's mouth, banging off a shot, and relying on the flash to take care of the exposure. For a fixed enlargement ratio you'd need some kind of macro tripod mount to slide the entire camera back and forth to focus.

• Advertisement
Advertisement