Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hillside

• 10-09-2019 11:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 38

I'm looking at potential property in Hillside which would need renovating. There are stippled ceilings throughout. Removal of these (and associated costs) could be an issue if there's asbestos there. Anyone in the area have experience of this?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,026 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I'd be surprised if there was asbestos behind the ceilings - we're nearby in a slightly older house (mid 70s) and AFAIK there were no issues when we renovated. The only place we found asbestos was in the flue of the boiler house when we demolished it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Blandpebbles

Highly unlikely to be asbestos in the ceilings of late 70s/early 80s houses.

Why remove them anyway? We had ours skimmed and you can't tell they weren't new slabs.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭grudgehugger

We’re in Heathervue. Same houses as Hillside essentially afaik.

We did same as blandpebbles with our ceilings - just the job!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Maudi

BonnieD wrote: »
    I'm looking at potential property in Hillside which would need renovating. There are stippled ceilings throughout. Removal of these (and associated costs) could be an issue if there's asbestos there. Anyone in the area have experience of this?

Hi
    I’ve been looking at one in hillside recently aswell (I’d potentially be employed to replaster the ceilings
    The houses from hillside may have asbestos in the actual stipple itself
    There’s a company in Wicklow that analyses a tiny piece of stipple to give results,,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭Cerco

Take a look here and see the pre 1980’s product component which includes asbestos. IF. this was used in Hillside then other estates would potentially be affected e.g. Rathdown. Perhaps also Heathervue .... this was built post 1980 but old warehoused stocks may have been used.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Artex

I understand that skimming and plastering will cure the problem since asbestos only becomes an issue when it is disturbed. Encasing it in plaster seems to be the most cost effective solution as well as giving a nice finish.

This is my opinion but best to get expert advice if you are concerned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 Nharrison02

Hi
    I am living in Hillside also. We moved in in 2015 and are looking to refurbish internally. Just wanted to check if anyone ever tested their stipple for asbestos?
    Also can anyone recommend the best approach to have smooth ceilings? I guess there are maybe 3 options:
    1. scrape all stipple to smooth it down, then skim with plaster
    2. don't bother scraping and just skim with plaster
    3. place new ceiling board on top of the stipple and plaster

Can anyone recommend best approach?
    Also can anyone recommend a good trade person to do that?

• Registered Users Posts: 26 mikeycoz

If the house is from the early eighties or earlier, it likely contains artex. The cheapest, and safest option is to have it painted with thistlebond or blue grit and then skimmed. Even screwing through the artex would release tiny particles into the environment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Maudi

Hi
    I am living in Hillside also. We moved in in 2015 and are looking to refurbish internally. Just wanted to check if anyone ever tested their stipple for asbestos?
    Also can anyone recommend the best approach to have smooth ceilings? I guess there are maybe 3 options:
    1. scrape all stipple to smooth it down, then skim with plaster
    2. don't bother scraping and just skim with plaster
    3. place new ceiling board on top of the stipple and plaster

Can anyone recommend best approach?
    Also can anyone recommend a good trade person to do that?
    Hi
    I live in the area and am a plasterer by trade
    I have worked on several of these houses and unfortunately have come across asbestos issues , they can thankfully be easily rectified, if you would like to contact me by pm I can arrange a call out to see the best approach
    Thanks

Advertisement