Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sizing Of Printed Photos

Options
  • 10-09-2019 12:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭

Not sure if I'm in the right forum here, so please move if inappropriate.

I have some old, printed colour photos (6" x 4") that I want to put in a frame (that holds 8 photos).

My intention, as I do not have the negatives, is to scan as greyscale and then bring to be printed on photographic paper. I think Harvey Norman do this (I'm in North County Dublin).

My issue relates to photo management on my PC. I would likely do some cropping of the scanned images first, but I have no idea what effect this would have on the dimensions of the final, printed photo. Is there some "resizing" that I will need to do after I crop.

While I think of it, is it safe to assume that if I scan a 6" x 4" photo, that it will then print automatically to the same size.

Thanks,
    Tommy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Heebie

Scan as color and have them printed as greyscale.
    You're giving their system 3x as much data to interpolate the greyscale from.
    Their quarter-million Euro Fuji Frontier is going to do a better job of that interpolation than your home scanner.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,621 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i suspect if you brought colour prints in to have scanned in harvey norman, it'd be more hassle than its worth to get them to scan as greyscale. plus, if you have them scanned as colour, you have both options, scanning as greyscale means if you *do* want them in colour at some point in the future, you'll have to have them scanned again.

Advertisement