Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Clipped in or flats for Enduro style riding?

• 10-09-2019 12:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭

Was clipped in for about 10 years, switched to flats recently and while it seems to work really well, and is comfortable etc - race results have bombed since I switched. Could be that I'm getting older & slower but interested to see if people are riding clipped in or not. Think I'm moving back to clips anyway after Carrick.

Clipped in or flats? 11 votes

Clipped in
    90% 10 votes
    Flats
    9% 1 vote

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭deandean

I've been clipped in (SPDs) for years.
    Recently I hired a MTB with flats. I could hardly pedal the thing up steep hills! It was the '100% on one leg, the 100% on the other leg' effort that I found really tough.
    I can lay down the power far more smoothly when clipped in. And I have no problem doing jumps, etc. I have the pedal spring set quite low so I can easily unclip.
    I guess there's a limit at the extreme end of enduro where flats might be safer. But I ain't there :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,663 ✭✭✭prunudo

Currently riding flats with Five Tens, can't fault the grip. Wonder would changing to clipless really have that much difference to times on a timed stage. I can understand the benefit for climbing but be interesting to see would the efficiency cross over to the trail.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I use Shimano M324 pedals which are SPD on one side and flat on the other for the best of both worlds. I find them excellent and very easy to use, I don’t have any problem clipping in or having to flip the pedal to get the spd side facing up. The flat side also offers very good grip for using with trainers or SPD shoes if you need to keep a foot ready to put down on fast descents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭nak

deandean wrote: »
    I've been clipped in (SPDs) for years.
    Recently I hired a MTB with flats. I could hardly pedal the thing up steep hills! It was the '100% on one leg, the 100% on the other leg' effort that I found really tough.
    I can lay down the power far more smoothly when clipped in. And I have no problem doing jumps, etc. I have the pedal spring set quite low so I can easily unclip.
    I guess there's a limit at the extreme end of enduro where flats might be safer. But I ain't there :)

No limit, Sam Hill is the exception racing EWS using flats. Flats are pretty much gone from WC downhill too.

It's personal preference really. Started out using clipless pedals and haven't wanted to try flats properly after a couple of short trials. I also found them awkward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,663 ✭✭✭prunudo

So thinking about ways to improve, change things up, trying different setups on the bike.
    Any recommendations on clipless shoes.
    Those shimano m324 spd mentioned earlier look like a good starting option for the pedals

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭saccades

Shimano 520. Cheap, ok weight and work great.

I didn't like the 324, so went xt touring on the pub\commuter bike. Spd to commute and flats for the pub shoes.

Generally dual sided are frowned upon off road as the flat shoe sole is **** with the pedal spd cleat and the cleated shoe cannot grip on the flat unless the pins are like bear claws and even then._. Pain in the 'arris trying to flip the pedals all the time.

Advertisement