Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disable Wireless in Printer Settings

Options
  • 10-09-2019 2:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭

Hi there,
    Looking for recommendations for a home printer that allows for wireless to be disabled in settings. I only intend to print from laptop with cable and don't want another needless wireless signal bouncing around the house. Anyone have any experience of brands that allow disabling? I have tried disabling on a work HP printer but even though it appears you are disabling wireless it still shows up as a strong 2.4ghz signal after.
    Thanks for any advice in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭degsie

Not sure why your printer is transmitting a WiFi signal, usually only routers and access points do this. Unless it is in some form of initial set-up state to allow configuration etc. Are you using a WiFi analyser to look at the signals?

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭downwiththatsor

Yeah using a WiFi Analyser app so definitely a HP signal, dissappears when plugged out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭davo2001

I only intend to print from laptop with cable and don't want another needless wireless signal bouncing around the house

Why don't you just not buy a wireless printer then?!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭Xterminator

heres a mad idea. finish the wireless setup. printer joins your home wifi - stops scanning etc.

don't print to it wirelessly.

printer will send/receive next to nothing over the wireless network because its idle.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭downwiththatsor

Thanks for the replies. I don't want any dbm 2.4ghz signal broadcasting. If the above achieves this then great.
    Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Hi there,
    Looking for recommendations for a home printer that allows for wireless to be disabled in settings. I only intend to print from laptop with cable and don't want another needless wireless signal bouncing around the house. Anyone have any experience of brands that allow disabling? I have tried disabling on a work HP printer but even though it appears you are disabling wireless it still shows up as a strong 2.4ghz signal after.
    Thanks for any advice in advance
    "WiFi-Direct" feature.
    With Wi-Fi Direct, you can print from a mobile device(such as a smartphone or notebook computer) directly to the printer without connecting to a wireless network.
    Depend on printer model(?), go to Networking tab > Wi-Fi Direct Setup and disable it.
    Hope it helps.
    490338.PNG

• Registered Users Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭Xterminator

yes, if you can turn it off, thats the ideal solution.

https://hub.acadiau.ca/TDClient/KB/ArticleDet?ID=489

that article has broad instructions for turning off wifi on different models/makes.

My point was once the printer is joined to the network, & has an ip address the traffic is minimal.
    When printer is not connected to a network it broadcasts regularly.

so if you cannot turn off wireless, complete the process with printer to join your home network.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

yes, if you can turn it off, thats the ideal solution.

https://hub.acadiau.ca/TDClient/KB/ArticleDet?ID=489

that article has broad instructions for turning off wifi on different models/makes.

My point was once the printer is joined to the network, & has an ip address the traffic is minimal.
    When printer is not connected to a network it broadcasts regularly.

so if you cannot turn off wireless, complete the process with printer to join your home network.
    Noted.
    But i think, even if you get WiFi connected, "WiFI Direct" still will be broadcasting as it act like independent AP(P2P actually), ready to pair to any other device, unless disabled.
    Good quality printers would have ability/option to disable this, cheaper brands/models might not , but again, as mentioned above, if not using WiFi features, why not to get printer that is LAN/USB only.

WiFi printers are cancer in multiple ways
    https://www.blackhat.com/docs/eu-17/materials/eu-17-Blanco-WI-FI-Direct-To-Hell-Attacking-WI-FI-Direct-Protocol-Implementations.pdf

Advertisement