Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Burger King drops the Ham in Hamburger as it's offensive

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

But a hamburger gets its name from Hamburg, the city in Germany.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭tdf7187

Far from being dirty pigs are actually clean creatures. But hey irrational beliefs become the norm when you start believing in sky gods and fairy tales.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭greencap

Its a publicity stunt.
    Faux outrage/ faux offense category.

Strap your product to politics and watch your google rating soar.

Dont post about it.
    Delete the tread. Tired of this shyte.

Burger King now serves bacon in South Africa – but dropped ‘ham’ from the names of burgers ‘to be more respectful’ of halaal clients
    https://www.businessinsider.co.za/burger-king-south-africa-drops-ham-from-hamburger-name-after-halaal-store-change-2019-9

I never really got why it was called a hamburger anyway. Scares me a little there just calling it a Burger though god only knows what it could be in it when you visit a foreign country.

It got it's name from Hamburg in Germany I believe. I'm open to correction on that. Like the frankfurter and Frankfurt. Which makes this move by Burger King even more ridiculous. It's got nothing to do with ham.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,215 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

So where does Mohammed get his name?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Why is everyone so desperate to be outraged...by the outraged? Hopefully it'll all fade away as we all become bored.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,889 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

from article
    A hamburger is by definition made of minced beef and does not contain pork. The "ham" is in reference to the German city of Hamburg, where hamburger patties were supposedly first made.

Burger King knows this, South African chief operating officer Juan Klopper told Business Insider South Africa on Friday, but it still wants to avoid any possible confusion.

"It is just to be super-sensitive to perceptions, and to be super clear," he said.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,178 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

It got it's name from Hamburg in Germany I believe. I'm open to correction on that. Like the frankfurter and Frankfurt. Which makes this move by Burger King even more ridiculous. It's got nothing to do with ham.

So you're saying there's no Frank in a furter, either??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭ZeroThreat

There's nothing like some nice steamed hams, prepared in the traditional style as they do in upstate New York.

Steamed hams! yummmmmmmmm :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 559 ✭✭✭PostWoke

Burger King now serves bacon in South Africa – but dropped ‘ham’ from the names of burgers ‘to be more respectful’ of halaal clients
    https://www.businessinsider.co.za/burger-king-south-africa-drops-ham-from-hamburger-name-after-halaal-store-change-2019-9

I never really got why it was called a hamburger anyway. Scares me a little there just calling it a Burger though god only knows what it could be in it when you visit a foreign country.

Burgers are supposed to be beef so if anything the name should make you more suspect.

This is ridiculous virtue signalling and I would say even the majority of the Muslim community find this to be farcical pandering. Gonna keep enjoying my XL Bacon Double Cheeseburgers and chilli cheese bites, the best fast food order from any chain in Ireland, don't @ me.

Apart from their garbo chips, maybe they should be concentrating on that...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,340 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Out-reeeeeeeeeee-age!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Maybe they want to sell burgers to make sure that people know there is no ham in them. Not everyone knows the origin of every English word.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,215 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Hopefully it'll all fade away as we all become bored.

Well lets all hope Tess Holliday's statement dress doesn't fade away.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,454 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Why is everyone so desperate to be outraged...by the outraged? Hopefully it'll all fade away as we all become bored.

Because we want ham, not Islam.

Well lets all hope Tess Holliday's statement dress doesn't fade away.

I've no idea who or what that is. I must have missed that meeting ;)

jimgoose wrote: »

No guarantees on that one I'm afraid.

AllForIt wrote: »
    Because we want ham, not Islam.

I would like neither in my burger.
    As a connoisseur of the cheeseburger I'm offended! ;)

Most likely they want to sell burgers to the Muslims who might not want to buy them. There's all those invading Muslims right? All that terrorism makes you hungry, gotta eat something.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

So they are dropping the word Ham to be more respectful to their Halaal clients, but have introduced Bacon to the menu in some of their oulets.
    What a load of laughable ballcocks.
    Next they will consider dropping all meat products so as not to offend vegans or some other headline grabbing rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,340 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Did you know that KFC had to change their name from Kentucky Fried Chicken because what they sell is so genetically modified that they're not legally allowed to call it chicken. The farm sentient beings with 6 breasts and 20 legs. I read it on a toilet wall once.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

ZeroThreat wrote: »
    There's nothing like some nice steamed hams, prepared in the traditional style as they do in upstate New York.

Steamed hams! yummmmmmmmm :)

Utica or Albany?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

There likely wasn't any outrage or people claiming offence. But those outraged by made-up/one/a handful of complaints on Twitter is pretty great promotion.

Probably didn't make much sense for Burger King to include the ham in hamburger in the first place considering it's dropped from the company's own name.

🤪

Did you know that KFC had to change their name from Kentucky Fried Chicken because what they sell is so genetically modified that they're not legally allowed to call it chicken. The farm sentient beings with 6 breasts and 20 legs. I read it on a toilet wall once.

Actually they hide the 'fried'. They go by KFC not Kentucky Fried Chicken.

I'm still hurting over the whole Marathon/Snickers thing. What's a f***ing Snickers ffs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Force Carrier

tdf7187 wrote: »
    Far from being dirty pigs are actually clean creatures. But hey irrational beliefs become the norm when you start believing in sky gods and fairy tales.

The (false) idea that pigs are dirty stems from their inevitable condition when penned in in numbers in a little sty. Which is how humans have known them for thousands of years.

The taboo on pig meat in certain religions may be tied to very ancient connection between pig meat which apparently is close to human flesh in taste and taboo on cannibalism.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

you steam a good ham

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Yeah, I heard that one before.. so just for those who think it might be true.. :)

490298.png

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭BuboBubo

Actually they hide the 'fried'. They go by KFC not Kentucky Fried Chicken.

I'm still hurting over the whole Marathon/Snickers thing. What's a f***ing Snickers ffs?

I'm going out for a run, I'm training for a snickers.

(Far easier than a marathon...)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Jacovs

Read about this a couple weeks ago. They also made a handy list of all the outlets that wont be halaal anymore and listed the next closest halaal outlet. In some cases its only a couple hundred meters apart. In other cases its more than 400km apart. Would have to be a die hard burger king fan.

https://www.businessinsider.co.za/burger-king-restaurants-in-south-africa-that-will-not-be-halaal-from-september-2019-8

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

. Not everyone knows the origin of every English word.

Pretty sure Hamburg is a German word.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

jimgoose wrote: »
    Nah, Frankfurt was a city of the Franks so it's all about them! But it could have originated in quite a few places.

• Advertisement

Ich bin ein Berliner

Advertisement