Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Burger King drops the Ham in Hamburger as it's offensive

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

The (false) idea that pigs are dirty stems from their inevitable condition when penned in in numbers in a little sty. Which is how humans have known them for thousands of years.

The taboo on pig meat in certain religions may be tied to very ancient connection between pig meat which apparently is close to human flesh in taste and taboo on cannibalism.
    Quran apparently say you can't eat it unless you're starving! The Scottish pork taboo is very odd!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religious_restrictions_on_the_consumption_of_pork

• Registered Users Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

As usual the right wing "snowflakes" are outraged by something absolutely ridiculously unimportant

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Aegir wrote: »
    Ich bin ein Berliner
    Ich bin irre(I'm crazy) is another awkward slip of the tongue as against Ich bin ire(I'm Irish)!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,792 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Maybe they want to sell burgers to make sure that people know there is no ham in them. Not everyone knows the origin of every English word.

People who were niggardly with their education?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,737 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Outside of fast food places, any time I see this on a menu in Dublin it's down as a beef burger.
    I always disliked Hamburger as the name as it's not made from ham and I hate Germans. It's one of those reasons at least.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ForestFire

Aegir wrote: »
    Ich bin ein Berliner

eh...I think your mean Ich bin ein Hamburger :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

But a hamburger gets its name from Hamburg, the city in Germany.

How dare you try letting facts get in the way of a company's virtue signalling.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Jesus Christ some people really look to get outraged.

I mean, if any of the virtue-signallers actually read the article, it shows that it’s making the change to highlight to Muslims that the burgers are not actually made from ham, despite the name.

Like, move on and read what’s being said instead of reading the headline and coming on here to Muslim bash.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

So it seems it has confused customers

https://pluralist.com/burger-king-south-africa-ham-muslims/
    Juan Klopper, chief operating officer for Burger King’s South African market, told Insider that his company is aware of this fact.

“It is just to be super-sensitive to perceptions, and to be super clear,” he said.

Klopper also told Insider that Muslim customers have inquired about the “ham” part of its hamburger items in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,215 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

There is such a thing as a ham burger I got served one once, I can understand why people might ask. Sausages are a whole different kettle of fish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

hmm, I know a lot of Muslims living here in Hamburg, and I've yet to hear of any of them being offended by the city name. Maybe I should get the mayor to change to city name to Burg.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭SexBobomb

ZeroThreat wrote: »
    There's nothing like some nice steamed hams, prepared in the traditional style as they do in upstate New York.

Steamed hams! yummmmmmmmm :)

Well, Zero, you are an odd fellow but I must say you steam a good ham.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Cant be real, outrage marketing, that said the UK handed a pub owner an asbo for naming his carpark a ‘porking lot’ next to a mosque , so the world is still screwed up

• Registered Users Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭quokula

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Outside of fast food places, any time I see this on a menu in Dublin it's down as a beef burger.
    I always disliked Hamburger as the name as it's not made from ham and I hate Germans. It's one of those reasons at least.

This, it's perfectly normal and common to call it a burger or a beef burger. I can see how in some countries where western food is not as mainstream, or amongst people who might have moved there and not be fluent with English but have seen beef burgers sold elsewhere, they might be confused into thinking a hamburger is a burger made of ham.

Simplifying the name is a pretty straightforward common sense thing to do in this situation that has no downside whatsoever, other than invoking faux outrage from a small number of deranged closet racists.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,514 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

biko wrote: »

Why highlight that they are muslims, rather than just ****ing idiots?

Advertisement