Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

De-platforming fascists works

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

If you want to go there, the same people bitching about too much equality are the very ones turned a blind eye to the church for generations. How does that sit?

1) nobody is butching about equality, theyre butching about the pendulum swinging the other way
    2) most of the ‘people bitching’ on here you’ll often see by post history are athiests and agnostic and have rallied against church abuse, have wanted seperation of church and state etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭ollkiller

He's exerting pressure on social media to back his Vax agenda, now I'm not anti vax but I do have an issue with a politician calling the shots on what is and isn't the truth. That should be up to the individual to asses the facts and make up their own mind.

I get your point but if the Minister for Health dosen't try to silence idiot anti-vax morons whose spread of disinformation can lead to illness and death then i don't think they should be Minister for Health.

He's exerting pressure on social media to back his Vax agenda, now I'm not anti vax but I do have an issue with a politician calling the shots on what is and isn't the truth. That should be up to the individual to asses the facts and make up their own mind.

So it's not forced control at all, not even close. What "vax agenda"? Those who spread falsehoods about vaccinations causing autism or other spurious claims should be rightly condemned. Particularly when lives are placed at risk. A measles outbreak in California earlier this year was a product of people refusing to vaccinate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

1) nobody is butching about equality, theyre butching about the pendulum swinging the other way
    2) most of the ‘people bitching’ on here you’ll often see by post history are athiests and agnostic and have rallied against church abuse, have wanted seperation of church and state etc..

It's a long long ways to go to swing the other way. Look at the outrage over #metoo existing and a few people allegedly being offended by Dave Chappelle?
    When AOC is President and Gino from PBP or what ever Taoiseach...you still wouldn't have a point actually.

That's partially my point. You can't blame the left for too much censorship and suggest the left played a less than equal part in exposing church abuses.

Boris Johnson is doing a great job of de platforming the House of Commons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,215 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

ollkiller wrote: »
    I get your point but if the Minister for Health dosen't try to silence idiot anti-vax morons whose spread of disinformation can lead to illness and death then i don't think they should be Minister for Health.

There's a multitude of reasons he shouldn't be minister for health. He has no business telling the media to silence discontent, that media should fact check itself, if he tries to shut it down he only ends up driving them somewhere like dissenter or gab where they'll tell him where to go if he tries to shut down free speech. Saying that where free speech is allowed they'll put the anti vaxers back in their box naturally.
    I'm not convinced there is 0% of danger with vaccination and both sides should be allowed express their views.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Agreed I would have thought people arguing against societal group thing and forced social conformity would actually be something embraced by those who spoke out against the church.

All we have done is replace the social norms at the time and in some cases we are just leaving the door open for extremists to hijack .

So it's not forced control at all, not even close

Seriously you believe the government and Harris in particular have not had any influence on the Irish media over the last few years. Tá?

Would advocating that self identifying trans "women" should not have access to women only spaces be tantamount to being a fascism/spreading hatred in anyone here's eyes?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 370 ✭✭WB Yokes

Who will be next? White LGBT?

Screenshot-2019-09-08-16-59-32.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

ollkiller wrote: »

No minister should be trying to silence anyone. Silencing people is fundamentally immoral in a democratic system.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

WB Yokes wrote: »

Sure a lot of those groups already believe white gay men have moved beyond the opression threshold.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭xckjoo

There's a multitude of reasons he shouldn't be minister for health. He has no business telling the media to silence discontent, that media should fact check itself, if he tries to shut it down he only ends up driving them somewhere like dissenter or gab where they'll tell him where to go if he tries to shut down free speech. Saying that where free speech is allowed they'll put the anti vaxers back in their box naturally.
    I'm not convinced there is 0% of danger with vaccination and both sides should be allowed express their views.
    "Free speech" shouldn't cover spreading lies that cause harm to society and anti-vax information does exactly that. We'd be (rightly) up in arms of corporations were doing it. The "debate" about vaccines causing autism (the root of the anti-vax movement) has long since been debunked.

If you've concerns over specific vaccines causing some undocumented side-effects, that's a different issue thats possibly worth investigating. But not by idiots on Twitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

WB Yokes wrote: »

this is what you get with the intersectional identity stuff; ever decreasing circles. groups getting ever more unique and esoteric until you end up with? thats right! THE INDIVIDUAL! which the unit of measurement upon which the rights and responsibilities of humans should be based rather than this poisonous group identity bollox.

I'm not letting you away with it. "Forced control" is complete bunk, like we're indentured slaves with no minds of our own. Get real.

What freedom have you? You can't even get a few tins after 10 in this country. Why because the government says so. Your not free or anything close to it.

What freedom have you? You can't even get a few tins after 10 in this country. Why because the government says so. Your not free or anything close to it.

Are you advocating for anarchy?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,178 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

He's probably about twelve years old. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

You just made an arse of your whole posting agenda. It's safe to say that most 'people' wanted any wrong doing by the church exposed. Basically certain people like and dislike certain things. By your own logic exposing the church would be a win for the left, but suddenly there's no sides on that one and rightly so.
    Then you back track and shoe horn in 'liberals of old' rather than keep up your charade. If you were cleverer you might have given the left that one then you could continue your fallacy of things either being Left, (too PC, taking away rights, going to far with 'equality' etc.) or Right, (yeah there's a few bad apples but...).
    Long story short not everything good is either left or right so to try tar everything you don't like, like censorship as a characteristic of the left, alone is baloney. We've generations of right wing, christian led censorship, locking up single mothers, taking away babies, banning offensive music, books...a few people speak out for minorities or say the didn't like Dave Chappelle and y'all lose your sh*t.

So much is wrong with what you have posted ..

1) I don't think 'left is good and right is bad' and if you paid attention to my posts you would know that. I oppose almost all far right wing views which is why in my 15 years posting on Boards I've never espoused them. Guess some might say because I'm prolife that makes me right wing but I'm prolife from a centrist perspective, given that my grounds for being prolife are not religious borne given I'm an atheist. No, I don't think Donald Trump's a nazi or the GOP all white supremacists but fail to see how not seeing them as those things, makes me those things, which was the suggestion that was levelled at me.

2) With regards to censorship, I am against most forms of it and can assure you I was just as much against right wing folk attempting to censor the performing arts over the years as I am with the left attempting to do so today. The reason you don't see me (or others) complaining about the right doing it these days is because there aren't many examples of it as there was in days of old but if they did, I wouldn't see them getting much support, least of all from me.

3) With regards to 'liberalism' like I said, I used to call myself a liberal, and indeed campaigned on many liberal issues, but much like feminism, liberalism has been hijacked by extremists and, imo, they all warrant the condemnation they get and then some. I think the opposite is happening with conservatism and aside from the relatively small number of genuine bonafide card carrying racists, I actually think conservatism is coming more towards the centre these days. Gone are the days of it being all about bible bashing and Mary Whitehouse types, it's more about people baulking at the western world which the left has delivered us. This is why more and more countries in the west are voting for politicians that have conservative and nationalist views. They're sick of being spoken down to by leftist ideologues who have no regard for traditional values and use the word white as a pejorative.

4) De-platforming is all about control. As are Google's manipulative antics. The left want the right silenced as they want to remain in control of what people think. Do that and they can influence how people vote, which of course is the ultimate objective. We can see from how much the MSM reports on the scurrilous antics of the likes of Antifa that they endorse what they do. Same goes with how they report corrupt liberal politicians and corrupt liberal law enforcement and intelligence officials. The NY Times even just changed the front page headline because the leftist mob on Twitter demanded it. The left have no integrity anymore and I know the real reason why, but I'll save that for my next blog.

this is what you get with the intersectional identity stuff; ever decreasing circles. groups getting ever more unique and esoteric until you end up with? thats right! THE INDIVIDUAL! which the unit of measurement upon which the rights and responsibilities of humans should be based rather than this poisonous group identity bollox.

This is the result of Government. First they split us into left and right, then they split us by religion, then they split us again by 52 genders then they done it again with the right to life. We're now so dismantled as a nation the Government have complete control any opposition is shot down as a Healy-Rae.
    Climate is the latest way of extracting more taxes and splitting us again. Politicans are using that horse maure for the last 100yrs. It won't be VW Passat that knocks Gretta off her super yacht it'll be a massive fecking meteor just like the Dinosaurs.

jimgoose wrote: »
    He's probably about twelve years old. :pac:

Less government restrictions on individual freedom = anarchy. Wow.

• Advertisement

xckjoo wrote: »
    "Free speech" shouldn't cover spreading lies that cause harm to society and anti-vax information does exactly that. We'd be (rightly) up in arms of corporations were doing it. The "debate" about vaccines causing autism (the root of the anti-vax movement) has long since been debunked.

If you've concerns over specific vaccines causing some undocumented side-effects, that's a different issue thats possibly worth investigating. But not by idiots on Twitter.

Free speech covers everything, otherwise it isn't free speech. There should be no compromise on that. None.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

No minister should be trying to silence anyone. Silencing people is fundamentally immoral in a democratic system.

Did he not ask them to be factual? I don't think anyone was coerced or threatened with prosecution.

Less government restrictions on individual freedom = anarchy. Wow.

I never said that. I was asking the question because of the below post

I read it as if the poster was saying that nobody is truly free because the government can impose rules.

I wasn't sure if I read it right and wanted to confirm in case I was misrepresenting him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

Free speech covers everything, otherwise it isn't free speech. There should be no compromise on that. None.

How was it impinged?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,178 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

...I read it as if the poster was saying that nobody is truly free because the government can impose rules...

...and I was wondering if the chap is too young yet to have grasped that everybody is truly free because the government can impose rules.

jimgoose wrote: »
    ...and I was wondering if the chap is too young yet to have grasped that everybody is truly free because the government can impose rules.

Your gone to the far end of the spectrum with freedom.
    The Garda role should be to protect us from physical violence, theft things like that. Not when I can get a beer butt out it's none of your business Government, take your tax from the transaction and feck off and fix the health system or something useful.

Me bollox. There's no such thing. Would you be OK with people being free to spread lies about you?

xckjoo wrote: »
    Me bollox. There's no such thing. Would you be OK with people being free to spread lies about you?

Have you seen the amount of purgery convictions in this country. Practically 0. People are free to lie to the Guards and Courts about you without fear of conviction.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,125 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Have you seen the amount of purgery convictions in this country. Practically 0. People are free to lie to the Guards and Courts about you without fear of conviction.
    You are likely to see more in future
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/perjury-to-be-made-easier-to-prosecute-under-new-law-1.3928733

• Advertisement

This is the result of Government. First they split us into left and right, then they split us by religion, then they split us again by 52 genders then they done it again with the right to life. We're now so dismantled as a nation the Government have complete control any opposition is shot down as a Healy-Rae.
    Climate is the latest way of extracting more taxes and splitting us again. Politicans are using that horse maure for the last 100yrs. It won't be VW Passat that knocks Gretta off her super yacht it'll be a massive fecking meteor just like the Dinosaurs.
    The government aren't doing any of that my dude. They're just responding to what they're hearing the public cry about. "Left and right" division has exploded because too many people are spending too long watching American media and parroting it here like they've come up with something insightful. Can't think of a single instance of them talking about multiple genders, but maybe there's one or two. Don't think there's been any changes to laws related to gender so far. Nobody is dismissed as a "Healy Rae" except for the Healy-Raes (and there's enough of them). The climate emergency stuff has also all be reactionary to public outcry. Sure it'll be inefficient and money will be pocketed, but that's not a sign of some kind of government conspiracy; just a facet of human nature and the inefficiency of bureaucracy.

Democratic governments are a product of the people. If they were so forward thinking and controlling, we'd still have Fianna Fail in charge of everything and Trump wouldn't be in the White House.

Advertisement