Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Verified by Visa issues

• 10-09-2019 4:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭

Went to pay by my PTSB Visa card this afternoon and found that this fancy new system of Verified by Visa is broken. This is using the passcode system sent to your registered mobile phone. I have used it a couple of weeks ago and it worked fine, but today no passcodes arriving by txt.

I gave up after an hour and phoned Open24. Apparently Three and other mobile operators like EirMobile as well maybe?, are blocking these SMS messages from PTSB!!

Now I'm all for extra security if it works and God knows how long they planned this for and how many letters they sent out, advising people of their new system. But wouldn't you think they'd work the basics out in advance, heads should be rolling.

Not a great fan of the whole system in principle as too dependent on mobile phone networks and reception etc., should be a backup option.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,874 ✭✭✭Tow

All those SMS based 2 factor verification systems are hit and miss. The big banks (even BOI!) who have been using SMS are moving to an App based systems in the next few months.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Tow wrote: »
    All those SMS based 2 factor verification systems are hit and miss. The big banks (even BOI!) who have been using SMS are moving to an App based systems in the next few months.

So why have they gone down this road in the first place? When the potential problems are obvious. From the mobile operators POV, there would be thousands of these transactions occurring every minute? So I guess you can see why they mightn't be too happy.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Yes, received a few letters re PSD2 from PTSB over previous months - hence my surprise at the difficulties I encountered in processsing what would previously been a straightforward online payment by credit card.

Can only assume my experience is not common otherwise there'd be widespread complaints.

Have a look at the 'Talk to' forums...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

How does PSD2 work if you have no mobile reception at home? We don't use internet on our phones or apps but texts rarely get through when we're at home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Tow wrote: »

Also don't work well when one is abroad, you have five minutes to enter the code, and the sms might take 10/15 minutes to arrive.

Advertisement