Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Possible issue with MS Office?

Options
  • 10-09-2019 5:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 46,098 ✭✭✭✭

Could any of you kind people tell me (in plain English) what issue Im having with MS Office based on the screen grab below?

I bought this PC second hand from an Ebay seller in England about 6 years ago and it came with Office pre-installed. never a bother with it until today when i opened a couple of Word and Excel docs and i keep getting the same message.

MS-Office-2010.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭ldy4mxonucwsq6

muffler wrote: »
    Could any of you kind people tell me (in plain English) what issue Im having with MS Office based on the screen grab below?

I bought this PC second hand from an Ebay seller in England about 6 years ago and it came with Office pre-installed. never a bother with it until today when i opened a couple of Word and Excel docs and i keep getting the same message.

MS-Office-2010.jpg

Did you install the latest Windows OS update recently?

Professional plus is normally for volume licence users so maybe the issuer didn't renew some licences or revoked access for some.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭rd1izb7lvpuksx

Hard to say exactly what the issue is from the above information, but error code: 0xC004F074 suggests that it's a Volume License Version of Microsoft Office 2010 installed. My best guess is that whoever sold you the laptop had activated a company copy of Office 2010, and the company's activation server has been retired, meaning that the copy installed is no longer activated. If that's the case, you'll need to source a new activation key.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,098 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Thanks folks. I think I understand what you're saying. The crowd I bought it from appeared to have been one of these firms who buy used PC's that have been upgraded and then sell them on after giving them the once over. I recall asking them if Office was included and their reply was along the lines of .... "yes, we have a licence that allows us to include a number of copies of Office in our machines" or words to that effect.

I do normally install daily updates and even when I choose not to install an update the damned thing does it anyhow even though its not set that way. Its strange though that I didnt have the PC turned on since Friday last until this afternoon and I dont think I installed any updates on it today.

Whats the best way (as in cheapest) to get an activation key now? Id rather get it done sooner than later.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

Consider LibreOffice (https://www.libreoffice.org/) as a compatable and free alternative?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭ldy4mxonucwsq6

Consider LibreOffice (https://www.libreoffice.org/) as a compatable and free alternative?

Yep, second this - LibreOffice is a good free alternative. I have an office licence from work on my laptop but used Libre before (still do for some work) and it very similar in terms of functionality and compatibility with office documents.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

muffler wrote: »
    Thanks folks. I think I understand what you're saying. The crowd I bought it from appeared to have been one of these firms who buy used PC's that have been upgraded and then sell them on after giving them the once over. I recall asking them if Office was included and their reply was along the lines of .... "yes, we have a licence that allows us to include a number of copies of Office in our machines" or words to that effect.

I do normally install daily updates and even when I choose not to install an update the damned thing does it anyhow even though its not set that way. Its strange though that I didnt have the PC turned on since Friday last until this afternoon and I dont think I installed any updates on it today.

Whats the best way (as in cheapest) to get an activation key now? Id rather get it done sooner than later.
    As mentioned above, activation server was discontinued/retired or they upgraded their own subscription to latest version

Very slim chance, but if call seller back and state your problem, they might give you valid key for 2016/2019(fresh install will be needed)

You might squeeze another year out of O2010, but i doubt that you can get activation key for 2010 legal way anymore.
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/lifecycle/search?alpha=Office%20Professional%202010

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

I've seen a lot of this recently. Mostly due to the activation hack using Microsoft Toolkit no longer working.

What would people think of using something like this?

Legit according to the sellers

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

It's "legit." As in, it's a valid license. But most likely not for the purposes they are selling it, at that price.

If you don't need the actual MS Office suite, and don't want to pay a lot for minimal functions, just get one of the free ones, like Libre Office mentioned earlier.

Otherwise, you're just passing money over to some young fella selling ripped DVDs out of a gym bag.

• Advertisement

If you don't need the actual MS Office suite, and don't want to pay a lot for minimal functions, just get one of the free ones, like Libre Office mentioned earlier.
    Nail ----> head. I would probably use Word docs a few times every week and thats about it. So I couldnt really justify paying big time for something I wont be using much. LibreOffice it is so.

Thanks everyone for the comments and suggestions. Much appreciated :)

Advertisement