Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Induction/epidurals

Options
  • 10-09-2019 6:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭

Hi all,

Due to be induced with my second child on Thursday. I was induced on my first also and I got an epidural once the midwife told me I would be getting a Syntocinon drip. Baby was stuck at pelvic bone and turned the wrong way so I was pushing for about 2 hours and even with epidural I was in a lot of pain. I found the recovery afterwards tough. I was very sore for weeks and this was my least fa our part about the whole labour process.

Anyways this time I would love to avoid an epidural as I’ve read that it can shorten pushing time and recovery time. I’ve read that you are more aware of when to push etc. I also really like the idea of not been stuck in bed in my back for hours. Has anyone been previously induced in the drip and avoided the epidural? Can you get the drip up and going and decide to get epidural afterwards?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

Why have they decided to induce you?

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭starface

Why have they decided to induce you?

Over due to max number of days. I got obsessed over being induced this time. I tried everything but I’ve accepted it now. I’m not comfortable refusing the induction but I am aware that I can.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

Oh I really hope this time goes great for you.. Dont be afraid to say no to anything, rem it is yer baby and well just do what is best for ye..

Not really too sure now, but I had our little one 2 yrsish ago now, and I had to drip before getting any epidural (as part of the induction) and I asked for the epidural after that, I was the one who wanted it so I would think if you dont want it you dont have to get it as part of anything...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

To be honest I refused on my second because of what I went through on my first. I had them do a sweep instead. Would you consider going for reflexology?

To be honest I refused on my second because of what I went through on my first. I had them do a sweep instead. Would you consider going for reflexology?

I had one session and I couldn’t stand it. My feet are so sensitive I was clenching the whole time!! :) I got two sessions of electro acupuncture too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

I’ve never been induced, but I’m pretty sure you can opt for an epidural up until fairly late in the game, once you can sit still enough etc.

What I really wanted to say though, was that you may well have a totally different experience this time. My first boy was face up, pushing stage went on for HOURS (or so it felt at the time), my second was so much easier, he was not face up, and he was so much faster!
    Good luck!

jlm29 wrote: »
    I’ve never been induced, but I’m pretty sure you can opt for an epidural up until fairly late in the game, once you can sit still enough etc.

What I really wanted to say though, was that you may well have a totally different experience this time. My first boy was face up, pushing stage went on for HOURS (or so it felt at the time), my second was so much easier, he was not face up, and he was so much faster!
    Good luck!

Thank you. My little girl was face up also. You’re story have giving me some hope that maybe this time it’ll all be different!

Try not to focus on it as if things go differently you wont be disappointed. With your agreement the doctors and midwives will make all the right choices and you'll have your baby, both happy and doing well.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,907 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

I went naturally on my first but I still had the drip.I was being treated for Strep B, and my waters broke first, before contractions started, so they wanted the baby out.I think when your waters break there is an increased risk of infection with Strep B, so they don't hang around.

Anyway, I didn't get an epidural.And that was my first.The second and third were shorter and quicker.It is a different ball game.

I have not had an epidural and have given birth upright twice.There is absolutely nothing like it, your body knows exactly what it is doing. You just have to let go and let it at it.You can put in your birth plan or your notes that you would like to be helped to be upright, maybe say something like you would like to progress through pain relief starting with a TENS, then gas and air etc.You can start the drip and see how far you get being upright.Gravity helps labour and you may find you progress quickly and more naturally.As far as I know, there is nothing that says you have to get the epidural with the drip - you can ask for it whenever you feel you need it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

Have they indicated to you that you’ll need the drip at all? I ask simply because I was facing induction on my second baby, the consultant said on second + time mothers, in general they just need to break waters and “away you go”. That baby arrived on her own steam that night (13 days over!), however I was induced on my third baby at 38 weeks for reduced movements. They just had to break my waters, contractions started and she was out in just over an hour. I didn’t have an epidural on any of them induced or otherwise.

• Advertisement

No I might not need the drip and I’m hopeful it won’t come to that again but I’m just thinking worst case scenario here: trying to prepare myself mentally.

Thanks for all the replies. You’ve giving me some reassurance!!

• Registered Users Posts: 15 JoZeb

starface wrote: »
    Hi all,

Due to be induced with my second child on Thursday. I was induced on my first also and I got an epidural once the midwife told me I would be getting a Syntocinon drip. Baby was stuck at pelvic bone and turned the wrong way so I was pushing for about 2 hours and even with epidural I was in a lot of pain. I found the recovery afterwards tough. I was very sore for weeks and this was my least fa our part about the whole labour process.

Anyways this time I would love to avoid an epidural as I’ve read that it can shorten pushing time and recovery time. I’ve read that you are more aware of when to push etc. I also really like the idea of not been stuck in bed in my back for hours. Has anyone been previously induced in the drip and avoided the epidural? Can you get the drip up and going and decide to get epidural afterwards?

I had a drip for both births and didn’t have an epidural for either. Both times an epidural was on offer although in my second birth things moved on quite quickly and it didn’t happen - this was more to do with how I give birth than the epidural though, I think.

Hope that helps reassure :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,907 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Best of luck Starface :-)

Advertisement