Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Medical Records

Options
  • 10-09-2019 7:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi all, trying to buy our first property and all going well but I have a chronic illness which is being managed very well for the past ten years and prognosis is good. However I heard today from the fianacial advisor that my application with one insurer will probably be denied. He has asked for my medical records directly so he can deal with the underwriter directly. Just wondering if anyone else has done this before and if this request is reasonable or should I refuse to share my records and deal only with the insurer directly. Don’t want to be unreasonable but this is obviously private and sensitive information. Thanking you for any advice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Wilson58 wrote: »
    Hi all, trying to buy our first property and all going well but I have a chronic illness which is being managed very well for the past ten years and prognosis is good. However I heard today from the fianacial advisor that my application with one insurer will probably be denied. He has asked for my medical records directly so he can deal with the underwriter directly. Just wondering if anyone else has done this before and if this request is reasonable or should I refuse to share my records and deal only with the insurer directly. Don’t want to be unreasonable but this is obviously private and sensitive information. Thanking you for any advice.

Frankly; no way! There are more insurers than one. Sounds an outrageous demand.

I never had that issue in a similar situation way back. What reason do they give?

If they are seeking that you are going to live long enough and can pay a mortgage? At the very most a covering letter from your doctor t o that effect? Like a reference? But not access to your medical records at any cost.

My mortgage folk knew I was disabled etc but not a hint of any of this; none of their business?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

The broker is not going to share your information anywhere, and will use it solely for the purposes you supply the information.
    If you don't want to give it to him- that is your prerogative- however, its simply going to add an additional complication into the equation.
    You specifically went with a broker- rather than approach the various providers yourself- for the ease of having a broker deal with it for you.
    At the end of the day- it is entirely up to you how you proceed- however, and while I accept that your medical data is sensitive to you, the broker is a data controller under GDPR legislation, and it would be exceptionally rash and irrational of him/her to not treat data in an appropriate manner.

Its your call- and I'm saying all of the above as a person who uses a broker and has chronic health conditions myself. I think you owe it to yourself to try and make life as stressfree for you as possible- only you can decide what this entails.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

I had this issue with life assurance when buying the house, although records weren't requested. I submitted a letter from my consultant,l. The life assurance was refused, I would guess as the condition was so rare (but manageable) that the time the research it and make a decision was not worth it for the life assurance company.

The bank waived the requirement for life assurance, but had a relatively large deposit though, about 30%, which I'm sure was a factor.

Advertisement