If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Yet another 55" OLED request

Options
  • 10-09-2019 7:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

I was looking at the LG B8 but I see they are all gone now and in fact it appears they may not have had HDR10+ support, so that may have been out of the running anyway.

So I have increased my budget considerably and I'm now looking at Philips 55OLED754 but I can't seem to find any reviews on it, possibly as it is very new to the market. Do you have any insight on that panel, is it bad/good/great or are there better panels out there within the same budget?
    What would be the best boardsie deal you could do on it?

For any possible alternatives my main needs would be:
    HDR10+ (It'd be nice to have this along with DV for future proofing, but open to suggestions)
    Dolby Vision (as HDR10+ above)
    OLED (I think I am sold on OLED now, I wouldn't be gaming enough for burn in issues)

Bonus:
    Ambilight (I like the effect)

Not important:
    Apps, No need for anything here really as I have everything through an nVidia Shield

As an aside not, the set of Bronze 2's I got from yourselves last year are serving me very well, the W10 has such a nice thump that I had to put it on rubber feet to stop it walking across the floor!

--edit--
    Having a bit of a google for reviews and I think the Panny GZ950 looks like quite the TV, what would be the best price on this too. (I think I may be beyond my budget on this though, as the Philips was slightly beyond too)

Thanks,
    DrZeuss

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 17,277 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

DrZeuss wrote: »
    Hi guys,

I was looking at the LG B8 but I see they are all gone now and in fact it appears they may not have had HDR10+ support, so that may have been out of the running anyway.

So I have increased my budget considerably and I'm now looking at Philips 55OLED754 but I can't seem to find any reviews on it, possibly as it is very new to the market. Do you have any insight on that panel, is it bad/good/great or are there better panels out there within the same budget?
    What would be the best boardsie deal you could do on it?

For any possible alternatives my main needs would be:
    HDR10+ (It'd be nice to have this along with DV for future proofing, but open to suggestions)
    Dolby Vision (as HDR10+ above)
    OLED (I think I am sold on OLED now, I wouldn't be gaming enough for burn in issues)

Bonus:
    Ambilight (I like the effect)

Not important:
    Apps, No need for anything here really as I have everything through an nVidia Shield

As an aside not, the set of Bronze 2's I got from yourselves last year are serving me very well, the W10 has such a nice thump that I had to put it on rubber feet to stop it walking across the floor!

--edit--
    Having a bit of a google for reviews and I think the Panny GZ950 looks like quite the TV, what would be the best price on this too. (I think I may be beyond my budget on this though, as the Philips was slightly beyond too)

Thanks,
    DrZeuss
    Hi DrZeuss.

Thanks for the post.

I currently have not seen the 55OLED754 in action but going on the older range which were very good and the Ambi Light was a nice extra touch.
    Only thing that let it down was the smart hub which you will not be using anyway.
    If you wanted to go for one of them I could offer one for £1435 delivered.

On demo here at the store is the Sony 55AG8 which is priced at £1899 - Amazing television.
    https://www.richersounds.ie/p-204097-sony-bravia-kd55ag8-55-inch-oled-4k-ultra-hd-hdr-smart-android-tv-youview.aspx

In our Demo room we run the Panasonic 65GZ950 which is excellent!!
    For the 55GZ950 its priced at £1599.00 - I have very little movement oin this price but could squeeze it to £1575.00 delivered.

The NEW LG OLED55B9 is also a very good set priced at £1599 also
    https://www.richersounds.ie/p-204255-lg-oled55b9pla-55-inch-oled-4k-ultra-hd-hdr-smart-tv-freeview-play.aspx

Let me know your thoughts.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

HDR10+ is a pointless standard at this moment of time and it would not affect my purchase decision at all.

Vanilla HDR10 is great and you will not notice difference between static and dynamic HRD unless you are a pixel peeker and actively looking for differences. What's more, Dolby Vision is thousand times more popular.

If I were you, I'd go for a Phlilips set - it has Ambilight, and it really makes a difference.

Cheers for your input Grogi.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭DrZeuss

grogi wrote: »
    HDR10+ is a pointless standard at this moment of time and it would not affect my purchase decision at all.

Vanilla HDR10 is great and you will not notice difference between static and dynamic HRD unless you are a pixel peeker and actively looking for differences. What's more, Dolby Vision is thousand times more popular.

If I were you, I'd go for a Phlilips set - it has Ambilight, and it really makes a difference.
    Thanks grogi,

I wouldn't completely discount HDR10+ as a future standard, the power of Samsung and the panels they sell and supply not to mention the phone displays that could all support HDR10+ (price dependant of course), Amazon Prime, 20th Century Fox and Warner Brothers all support HDR10+ currently to an extent.
    Either or, I'd rather not be taking sides in a HD-DVD vs Blu-Ray type of battle when there is an opportunity to play both sides :pac: (in this case both Philips and the Pano set support both HDR10+ and DV)

Yeah I think on the OLED screens it may be hard to notice that much difference with the dynamic metadata of HDR10+ and DV but still nice to have the technology if even just for bragging rights :cool:

Anyway....order placed the other day, thanks Darren/Kenny!

DrZeuss wrote: »
    grogi wrote: »

Thanks grogi,

I wouldn't completely discount HDR10+ as a future standard, the power of Samsung and the panels they sell and supply not to mention the phone displays that could all support HDR10+ (price dependant of course), Amazon Prime, 20th Century Fox and Warner Brothers all support HDR10+ currently to an extent.
    Either or, I'd rather not be taking sides in a HD-DVD vs Blu-Ray type of battle when there is an opportunity to play both sides :pac: (in this case both Philips and the Pano set support both HDR10+ and DV)

Yeah I think on the OLED screens it may be hard to notice that much difference with the dynamic metadata of HDR10+ and DV but still nice to have the technology if even just for bragging rights :cool:

Anyway....order placed the other day, thanks Darren/Kenny!
    Hey DrZuess.

You will be over the moon with your new purchase :D

• Advertisement

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.