Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lawn with soft patches

Options
  • 10-09-2019 9:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭

Hi all
    I've a new lawn down since last year out the back garden. There was a big chalet type shed which covered pretty much the whole garden so we got rid of that and dug up the earth underneath, mixed in some compost and put fresh screened topsoil on top of it (after letting it settle for a few weeks). Its been growing pretty well but I did have to scarify it last night as there was a bit of moss. I decided to aerate it too and found that the back corner of the garden seemed to be very soft. It doesn't get too much sun and the grass doesn't grow well there so I'm wondering how I should tackle this? Putting a drainage pipe isn't really an option so is there something I could put on the surface (like horticultural grit) which would settle into the soil and help?? Or is there some small bush or plant that I could plant in the corner that would help with the drainage and lawn softness?
    Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,495 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

when you say soft, you mean wet and soft, or the soil has just not settled fully?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭bungaro79

I'm assuming the soil should be well settled by now so I'm thinking its a drainage issue. When I was aerating the garden in the middle of the garden the pitch fork went in ok but I did have to stand on it to push it in most of the way. In that back corner it just went straight in fully with a gentle push

• Registered Users Posts: 18,564 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Been a terribly wet month of August and September hasn’t started great either.

If you have a drainage problem there are few ways to deal with it without letting the water get away somewhere.

If a drain can’t be accessed to let it away you could dig a sump, fill it with stone and hope that will take enough away to soak into the ground.

Alternatively “when life gives you lemons make lemonade”, look at a planting scheme for a damp corner, maybe stick in a nature pond. Try work with it rather than fighting it.

Advertisement