Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sky Q query?

• 10-09-2019 9:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 972 ✭✭✭

I am a Sky customer. Here's my story. My broadband is rubbish. Nothing anyone can do about that. I have a main box and mini box one end of the house that work ok. I've tried through a Sky engineer, installing a mini box other end of house but no WiFi signal. Is it possible to put a box down there wired from the current dish? Or can you wire connect it to the main box? Is that something I can do on my current Sky account? The distance is probably 25 or 30 metres.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

Qprmeath wrote: »
    I am a Sky customer. Here's my story. My broadband is rubbish. Nothing anyone can do about that. I have a main box and mini box one end of the house that work ok. I've tried through a Sky engineer, installing a mini box other end of house but no WiFi signal. Is it possible to put a box down there wired from the current dish? Or can you wire connect it to the main box? Is that something I can do on my current Sky account? The distance is probably 25 or 30 metres.

The mini boxes cannot be wired to the satellite as they do not have the connections on them. What you can do is run an ethernet cable into the box and that will do what you want.

There's a video here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Qprmeath

The mini boxes cannot be wired to the satellite as they do not have the connections on them. What you can do is run an ethernet cable into the box and that will do what you want.

There's a video here.
    I suggested this to Sky and they said with the distance involved I would lose out on the speed? Would Sky themselves do an installation this way for me?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

Qprmeath wrote: »
    Would Sky themselves do an installation this way for me?

They will always do a standard install on these boxes (wifi). However, when they are having difficulty connecting the boxes via wifi they will opt to do it via ethernet instead.

You can ask them will they do this type of install for you on their forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,485 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Cable distance won't be an issue for speed unless you live in a mansion. They were fobbing you off.

Sky normally provide WiFi extenders in this situation, we had 2 back home until I replaced them with cable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Buy a WiFi extender such as Netgear.... They're great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Qprmeath

Buy a WiFi extender such as Netgear.... They're great.

I am on mobile broadband, I have a WiFi extender which makes very little difference. At busy times WiFi is terrible.
    Spoke to Sky - they do cable connections but only over short distances. So despite the fact I pay them a fortune they won't install a service for me.

Advertisement