Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When do you turn the heating back on?

Options
  • 11-09-2019 8:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭

Normally I will turn the heating in my house back on in late September or early October. I have girl renting a room from me who wants the heat on now and for most of thr day. Her bills are included in her rent. Am I being unreasonable if I refuse? I have set the timer for an hour in the morning and again in the evening but to be honest that Is too hot for me. She will only be staying a couple of months anyway. Do you have your heating back on already?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Salary Negotiator

Was tempted to last night but just threw on a jumper and was grand. My girlfriend would have the heating on most evenings given the chance, but that'd be too warm for me but it'll probably be on sooner rather than later.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Telly

I’ve turned on a couple of rads the last few days and the heating comes in for an hour in the morning and an hour in the evenings. Is she going to be in the house all day?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,064 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

I have made it to October before but we've had it on for 30 minutes or an hour the odd evening through August even though I'm sitting there in shorts and t-shirt

Some people feel the cold more than others. Some rooms are warmer than others. I've ofter been working in a home occupied by people from much warmer countries and they can have the heating on mid summer with 20c outside. If your lodger is cold then she is cold.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

Depends on the rating of the house. We're in a new build a2 rated house and just us being in the house is enough to make it nearly uncomfortable..

last house we had was a c3 and anything below 13c outside and it would have to be on..

• Registered Users Posts: 24,375 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

October at the earliest I'd expect

• Advertisement

If it's cold its cold. The date doesn't matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

When it's cold.

Edit beaten to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Do you have a thermometer in the house?
    What does it say?

Should be 21c at day and 18c at night in every room.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Get a smart thermostat, it'll turn the heating on and off and keep the house at the desired temperatures you set. It's a much more efficient way of heating than timed cycles, you'll save a fortune

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Yes, I have a magical high tech device called a thermostat. Google it, you'll be amazed.

Mod Note.

No need for the smart comments. If you have nothing helpful to say, maybe consider not posting at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭jim o doom

I'll just use extra clothes until they don't suffice, then I'll whack the heating on for a bit, and we live in a fairly cold house too.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,191 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

jim o doom wrote: »
    I'll just use extra clothes until they don't suffice, then I'll whack the heating on for a bit, and we live in a fairly cold house too.

That's why you need a smart thermostat like a Nest or something try and blag a free one out of electric ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭ChewBerecca

We have ours set up to come on for an hour in the morning before we get up and then an hour in the evenings as we're coming home.

Haven't turned it on yet.

And won't be turning it on until it consistently drops below 10 degrees despite the complaints from himself in the mornings :) There is no need for it at the moment where we are.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

same here; solid fuel stove lit for a while yesterday and from hfeel of it it will be the same today. Not set in stone so if it improves...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭DoozerT6

I have storage heating so I won't be turning it back on until absolutely necessary :( It just seems to be too expensive to replace it with a new electric system (there's only electric heating in my apartment block).

It really annoys me that my apartment is toasty warm when I'm not there during the day, and significantly cooler in the evenings, when I am there!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 391 ✭✭99problems1

That's the worry when you have bills included in rent price, they won't care about their usage. Same with lights or things like that, they'll leave them on and won't care.

Used to live with a girl who'd always want the heating on. She'd have all her clothes on rads throughout the house. Would be eating your dinner and a thong could be hanging beside ya.

Went around in tank top claiming it was cold then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

Comes with the territory of house sharing I'm afraid

Used to live with someone years ago who religiously put on the heating even throughout June and July (and it wasn't a cold June or July before someone asks). And they went around the house in a t-shirt! They used the timer, was quite funny when we used to turn off the switch on the wall and they never even noticed. Luckily she moved away that summer, but I think one of the other HMs essentially pushed her out, she used to have lots of annoying habits :pac:

Personally I would use heating myself extremely rarely, but fully appreciate others are different. During a warm summer is taking the piss though.

It's definitely a huge bone of contention in house shares though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

That's the worry when you have bills included in rent price, they won't care about their usage. Same with lights or things like that, they'll leave them on and won't care.

Used to live with a girl who'd always want the heating on. She'd have all her clothes on rads throughout the house. Would be eating your dinner and a thong could be hanging beside ya.

Went around in tank top claiming it was cold then

Yep pretty much exact same :pac:

very frustrating stuff.

You really discover some weird habits of people when you live with them. The one I used to live with is married now, all I can say is good luck to the husband living with them 24/7!!

I absolutely hate house sharing!!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Just a half an hour in the early morning since last week, but only on select radiators. Had it all on for an hour just to check everything was fine. Probably have it on in the mornings from now on and occasionally in the evening till October. After that it depends on the level of cold and if anyone is around.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

Can you both meet half way and turn some rads on, some off?

Just tell her that you find it a bit warm and if it would be ok to have the rad off in the living area but on in her room?

She can just throw on a jumper in the meantime and at least she'll be toasty in her room, without you having to bake.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,784 ✭✭✭✭L1011

It's entirely thermostatic, it came on for the first time in early August but still isn't on nightly

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Normally I will turn the heating in my house back on in late September or early October. I have girl renting a room from me who wants the heat on now and for most of thr day. Her bills are included in her rent. Am I being unreasonable if I refuse? I have set the timer for an hour in the morning and again in the evening but to be honest that Is too hot for me. She will only be staying a couple of months anyway. Do you have your heating back on already?

Doesnt much matter what everyone else does with regard to heating their homes. You have a renter you're charging her for heat yet not providing it. Are you reducing her rent ?. It also doesn't matter how long shes staying, would it not be more preferable to turn the heating on and give her the comfort shes paying for(especially as it's only a few months), than have her think your a miserable git.?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

OP if our renting a room in your house with bills included, the tenant is entitled to ask that the heat be put on if she is cold. Its a personal thing if you feel cold or not. The issue here is that the heating costs money and you dont want to spend it. If its two warm for you then turn off the radiators in the rooms the tenant is not using.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,924 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

installed a smart thermostat system before the summer so it will come on automatically if the temp drops below the programmed level. Came on for about 20 minutes yesterday morning, but doesn't seem to have come on this morning.

OP - if she's cold turn off all the the rads except the one in her room, added bonus is she'll stay in her room as it's the only place she feels warm enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Women feel the cold more than men by up to 2 degrees.

So whilst op feels temp is fine at the moment, as I do, women feel it a little cooler and below a comfortable level.

So compromise is needed - possibly a small 400w/600w oil heater in her room.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭saabsaab

To answer your question I'd not turn on the oil central heating until October and then only if it is below 12C outside or windy. Women seem to need heating more than most men, I knew some who would have heat on all year! Some good advice posted already - just get a small 400W thermostatic electric heater for her room and that should be enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

Peoples tolerance for cold varies according to whether they are paying the bill for heat or not!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

saabsaab wrote: »
    To answer your question I'd not turn on the oil central heating until October and then only if it is below 12C outside or windy. Women seem to need heating more than most men, I knew some who would have heat on all year! Some good advice posted already - just get a small 400W thermostatic electric heater for her room and that should be enough.

Its not 1819 its 2019 if a paying tenant wants the heat on then they want it on. Put a little heater in her room.. good God

Her bills are included in her rent. Am I being unreasonable if I refuse?

So shes paying for it,and you dont want to turn it on ?

Reminds me of a recent thread about a lad AirBnBing his holiday home but didnt want the guests using the heating......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Deagol

Bit shocked to read all the comments about having heating on - my heating won't go on till early October at very earliest. Herself will probably want it on the odd night but I'll just get her to put on a jumper! I can never understand why people will walk around in a t-shirt or single layer clothing and moan about it being cold. For flips sake - surely the easiest thing to do if you're a bit cool is to put on another layer? I'm guessing a lot of the people who are happy to put on the heating quickly don't have to pay for the oil / electric / gas :P

Advertisement