Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When do you turn the heating back on?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,302 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Not until October.

if it's cold before then I'd suggest either jumping jacks or vigorous sex.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Late September is two weeks away. How much is this going to cost really? Just put the heating on. I think not being cold in your house is a big basic service if you are renting a room.

I put the heating on when I am cold myself. Have it on the odd time this week if its cold in the evening. Maybe for a half hour or so but not fully.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭SteM

Its not 1819 its 2019 if a paying tenant wants the heat on then they want it on. Put a little heater in her room.. good God

But if it's to hot for the OP with the heating on then why should whole house be heated? Would a compromise of a heater in the licensee's room not be better? It's not environmentally friendly to have heating on all day in the house if it's not needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

SteM wrote: »
    But if it's to hot for the OP with the heating on then why should whole house be heated? Would a compromise of a heater in the licensee's room not be better? It's not environmentally friendly to have heating on all day in the house if it's not needed.

Is that not what he said to do?

This thread reminds me why I charge bills on top of the room rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,053 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I have my heating controlled by a programmable timer/thermostat. My heating is always on and never off. The concept of turning heating on or off because of the time of year is bizarre. Heating is a temperature thing so whether or not it's needed or not has everything to do with how hot or cold it is and nothing to do with the time of year.

There have been days in June and July when my heating has come on in the evening because the weather was so bad it was cold enough the thermostat turned it on. It doesn't stay on for long though, so it isn't a cost issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭fits

Lived in Finland for a few years and got used to living in a toasty warm house. Built one with underfloor heating and an air source heat pump. Temperature doesn’t go below 20.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

Thanks for the replies. I’m new to renting out a room and kind of did it to help out someone who is stuck short term, I’m charging very little by current standards. It was 20 degrees Saturday and she wanted the heat on all day, ain’t going to be happening. If someone was doing me a favor I know I wouldn’t be complaining. I may well not let a room out again, not used having to compromise on this kind of thing in my own house.

Thanks for the replies. I’m new to renting out a room and kind of did it to help out someone who is stuck short term, I’m charging very little by current standards. It was 20 degrees Saturday and she wanted the heat on all day, ain’t going to be happening. If someone was doing me a favor I know I wouldn’t be complaining. I may well not let a room out again, not used having to compromise on this kind of thing in my own house.

Why don't you just charge her extra for the extra heating? Or is it the principle of the thing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

Oh dear :o

Saturday was an absolute corker of a day - in the west anyway - I was outside all day in a t-shirt.

I don't envy you OP. As I say - I've been there sadly

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭hurikane

What's the story with all the post saying they haven't turned it on yet, and then proceed to say they have it timed to come ON for an hour in the morning and an hour in the evening?

That's fooking ON.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭jim o doom

That's why you need a smart thermostat like a Nest or something try and blag a free one out of electric ireland.

The problem with that idea is that the temperature at which we get cold can vary depending on whether or not we've eaten and stuff like that.

Plus if we are too broke to get a heating oil fill, we may just leave the heat off even longer and just cuddle!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,517 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Normally I will turn the heating in my house back on in late September or early October. I have girl renting a room from me who wants the heat on now and for most of thr day. Her bills are included in her rent. Am I being unreasonable if I refuse? I have set the timer for an hour in the morning and again in the evening but to be honest that Is too hot for me. She will only be staying a couple of months anyway. Do you have your heating back on already?

It should be heat related not time of year. Set the thermostat to the desired temperature, if it’s cold it’ll come on if it’s not it won’t.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭hotshot88

When you start putting your laptop on your lap instead of a pillow as it gets hot

• Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Some people here have a very weird relationship with heat. If you're cold just put it on. Mine is all automated, stats outside and inside talking with each other. The only interaction I have with my heating is to call a lad to do the annual service and change the air filters. The underfloor heating was on this morning as I was walking around, first time I noticed it since before the Summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭stratowide

Seriously..Who has the heating on when its 20c outside in the daytime..?Madness.

I see she rents a room..is she a licencee.
    If so I'd be giving her a weeks notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

cnocbui wrote: »
    I have my heating controlled by a programmable timer/thermostat. My heating is always on and never off. The concept of turning heating on or off because of the time of year is bizarre.
    This 100% If it's cold enough to need it, it'll come on, if it isn't, it won't.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭saabsaab

In spite of the 1819 comment I stick with the small heater compromise. If she isn't happy with that then it isn't going to work out and she can leave as neither of you will be happy.

I was brought up in a house without central heating and due to being properly clothed was never cold in the hardest winters.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

saabsaab wrote: »
    In spite of the 1819 comment I stick with the small heater compromise. If she isn't happy with that then it isn't going to work out and she can leave as neither of you will be happy.

I was brought up in a house without central heating and due to being properly clothed was never cold in the hardest winters.

She is only due to stay for a couple of months until her long term place is ready. I’m more inclined to dress for the weather too. Ah she will be gone soon if she complains again I’ll suggest she try to find an alternative while she waits for her own place.

So have people turned the heating off now?

Turned mine off mid March.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

I turn mine on and off as required.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭arctictree

Turned mine off 2 weeks ago. House has only dropped to 17.5c from 20c. New build with heat pump.

arctictree wrote: »
    Turned mine off 2 weeks ago. House has only dropped to 17.5c from 20c. New build with heat pump.

I’m staying around 20-21. What were your electricity bills like over winter? My last 6 months were, 330 350 320. 2500sq feet. Hoping for a lot less now not heating.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,331 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Bit cooler now and on for a boost for 1hr

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

people have really forgotten jumpers. Some offices and houses are a nightmare now, going in and its 23 degrees round the clock, feel like your going to die of heat stroke.

set it to 20 degrees and let the thermostats do all the work and if somebody is cold they can go wear a jumper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

Ah the joys of house sharing.

Had one girl in a house share who would put the heating on during the heatwave in the mid 2000s to dry her clothes.

She didn't like the smell of her clothes from the line so imposed this on everyone in the house.

People really are strange

Ours is “on” all the time all year around and controlled by smart thermostats. If the temp drops it turns on, if the temp is a above the set temp on the thermostat the heat stays off and just monitors the temp.

It doesn’t come on much downstairs except the morning but upstairs at night it still comes on quite a bit to keep it up around 19/19.5 degrees (I have the set temp varying throughout the night as I always feel it’s needs to be higher later in the night).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

people have really forgotten jumpers. Some offices and houses are a nightmare now, going in and its 23 degrees round the clock, feel like your going to die of heat stroke.

set it to 20 degrees and let the thermostats do all the work and if somebody is cold they can go wear a jumper.

Correct - layers is the answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭rosmoke

Crocodiles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Irish_peppa

My gas central heating comes on for an hour in the morning and hour in afternoon. Why? All rads turned off and it heats the immersion tank Only.
    1 hour from the electric immersion you get about 40% tank of hot water.
    1 Hour central heated with gas 70% of the tank is hot.
    I dont know how much cheaper gas is to electricity when on for the same amount of time but its certainly cheaper:cool:

Advertisement