Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clubs in South Dublin

Options
  • 11-09-2019 10:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭

Im based in Rathfarnham and looking to join a club so I can race next year,A4 as ive never raced before,Orwell and St Tiernans aren't taking in beginners at the min anyone know of other nearby clubs taking on beginners for the winter.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

South Dublin Cycling Club - have a racing section and are in a club league too.

No idea which part of South Dublin they are based in though.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

Bray wheelers or Sorento

• Registered Users Posts: 9,450 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Bray Wheelers have been trying to support racing a bit more this year. Obviously season over, but open for membership.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Crocked

You don't have to be a member of a club to race, but it's probably best to as you'll get group riding experience over the winter spins. Also would be well worth your while racing some club league before getting the full joys of early season A4 racing

If you've been a member of a club before/experienced then maybe worth contacting Orwell or Tiernans. I think the reason for them restricting membership is to ensure new members are trained in group riding given the size of their groups now, but if you have experience of this already then maybe they have a procedure for this. Have no idea if this is the case but may be worth asking them.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭nannerby

I have done a bit of group riding but not much that's why id like to start with a beginners group tbh id feel more comfortable getting proper instructions in group riding and when the new season comes around not being a danger in the pack :))

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭fat bloke

The Irish Road Club. Plenty of racing for you with them. You'll find them on Facebook. Or go into Joe Hollingsworth's shop Kilmacud and enquire about joining.
    Alternatively cyclesuperstore's new affiliated club Tallaght Wheelers. Though I'm not sure how many racers they have as yet. IRC gear is nicer though :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,925 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Blanch Wheelies or South Dublin (not far from you at all) both in a club league, bothe with a few racers to learn from and bot nice bunch of riders. Their club league is a great place to learn how to race.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭strmin

Blanch Wheelies have sportive this Saturday with one of the groups going 30+km/h. Good opportunity to meet club racers.
    https://www.facebook.com/events/444445699739588/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,450 ✭✭✭Macy0161

nannerby wrote: »
    I have done a bit of group riding but not much that's why id like to start with a beginners group tbh id feel more comfortable getting proper instructions in group riding and when the new season comes around not being a danger in the pack :))
    Here's the link to the Bray Wheelers Spins
    http://www.braywheelers.com/new-bwcc-spins-changes/

I think it's still 3 goes before you require a licence/ membership, but you can email the club on braywheelers@gmail.com for more info.

There's a club spring and summer league, and at least the last two summers they've done race training skills sessions, which tbh I found more beneficial than racing the leagues (dealing with contact, cornering etc).

There's interval training on Tuesday nights in the spring, and then training spins on Tuesday's, with various groups heading for the hills.

Anything on road normally starts at Kilmacanogue Flyover.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Crocked wrote: »
    You don't have to be a member of a club to race, but it's probably best to as you'll get group riding experience over the winter spins. Also would be well worth your while racing some club league before getting the full joys of early season A4 racing

If you've been a member of a club before/experienced then maybe worth contacting Orwell or Tiernans. I think the reason for them restricting membership is to ensure new members are trained in group riding given the size of their groups now, but if you have experience of this already then maybe they have a procedure for this. Have no idea if this is the case but may be worth asking them.
    nannerby wrote: »

Missed Orwell intake by a month unfortunately. Likely to be a year until the next batch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,328 ✭✭✭secman

fat bloke wrote: »
    The Irish Road Club. Plenty of racing for you with them. You'll find them on Facebook. Or go into Joe Hollingsworth's shop Kilmacud and enquire about joining.
    Alternatively cyclesuperstore's new affiliated club Tallaght Wheelers. Though I'm not sure how many racers they have as yet. IRC gear is nicer though :)

Unfortunately Tallaght wheelers are just a leisure club at the moment, so no use to OP , kit is nice though :)

Advertisement